Trip Report C’mon Everybody, Here We Go….*COMPLETED*

Think of all the joy you’ll find
When you leave the world behind
And bid your cares goodbye!

Ahh, a relaxing getaway from reality. No cares or concerns. Just bliss.

Not exactly a perfect picture of vacationing at Walt Disney World during Spring Break, is it?

But we’re going anyway. We’re Spring Break Veterans and it’s time for the annual reunion.

Two years ago we missed out on our usual adventure thanks to Covid. The stay-at-home vacation just wasn’t the same! (Although you can read about it here: https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/the-“no-trip”-trip-report-completed.964173/)

Last year we were able to return, albeit under Covid protocols. We believed that enduring masks 24/7, plexiglass and vinyl dividers on attractions, mobile order Door Nazis and limited shopping/dining/entertainment would be acceptable in exchange for the very low crowds that we’d experienced on earlier pandemic trips. But the parks were packed and we ended up spending a lot of time at the pool (which wasn’t a bad thing. We’re pool people.)

Now that park capacity has increased and nearly all Covid restrictions are gone, we expect to find the shoulder-to-shoulder spring break crowds of yore. And long lines. So we’re packing our patience and “It is what it is” attitudes.

Because in spite of all the negatives WDW is still our happy place.

We can’t wait.

60EFA200-96A8-450F-994E-B3B9C3BD6048.jpeg

Who: Tuvalu and Em
When: April 3-9, 2022
Where: Our favorite moderate resort

My plan is to go live upon our departure. Fingers crossed that Disney WiFi will be my friend.

Speaking of friends, we hope to meet up with a few. You’ll have to follow along to see if we do.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Sunday, con’t

Woody had requested one “nice” dinner during our trip and since the restaurant we selected was only open on the weekends 🤷🏻‍♀️ tonight worked best for us.

We discussed the various ways we could get to the restaurant using Disney transportation. Despite having our car, Woody prefers “full immersion” at WDW and that includes not driving ourselves around property. He is more a “journey” than a “destination” person. Different modes of transport are part of the fun.

We boarded a bus bound for DHS. The driver clearly used to work for the DMV or some other government office.

Dmv GIF by Disney Zootopia

Since there was a delightful breeze blowing, we opted to walk (rather than boat or gondola) the next leg.

3B5CF38E-78DE-4E36-9328-A0AD43C3138C.jpeg

Hello, Boardwalk!

ED811806-C8E3-4399-A9F1-FB7611D2FDE8.jpeg

We’ve stayed at The Boardwalk (both Inn and Villas) several times. Our first visit was in 1997, the year after it opened. This was an original restaurant ~ and one we never dined at, because we are not seafood eaters.

37A69E61-6102-4672-9385-D25FF12BE990.jpeg

Flying Fish became a consideration when I read several reviews claiming it had the best steak on property. (And my dear friend @Tony the Tigger has always raved about the place.) Plus….even after umpteen WDW visits….we are always up for trying new things.

The inside of the restaurant is elegant without feeling stuffy. There are three dining areas in addition to seating at the bar. Our table felt very private as it was in one of the smaller rooms.

9ACA49E5-BBE3-4ADF-9710-CD1EDF3441D3.jpeg

Both the wine list and the menu were bound in leather. At last ~ no more scanning a QR code!

I loved this chandelier.

F9B7B550-1611-4F48-9871-A08FC29E6FF8.jpeg

2975BE19-9FAE-4EDE-A680-51B5F4BD20F1.jpeg

Woody ordered a glass of wine. I wasn’t up for wine, which I know disappointed him, since we typically have wine with special dinners. I didn’t have much of an appetite either, which perplexed me at the time. Our server brought us complimentary potato leek sourdough bread with sea-salted butter.

EDBFE41A-BB56-41A3-B127-DEA40D4E0224.jpeg

The bread was delicious. I could have made a meal out of it. But I didn’t want to spoil the little appetite I had. As such, we did not order any appetizers. (Although I was quite curious about the Oak-grilled Romaine. I would never think to put lettuce on our Weber!)

The filet mignon came with asparagus, sweet onion risotto and truffle sauce.

BB59B043-91DA-42C4-8A82-788962AA4824.jpeg

I was very excited about the risotto, a delicate dish that I would never make but enjoy eating. California Grill used to serve wonderful risotto with their filet back in the day. This risotto was every bit as good!

The filet was fork-tender and cooked exactly as I like it. But it wasn’t the best steak I’ve had on property. That honor remains with the oak-grilled filet at Cali Grill. (Second best being the NY strip at Mama Melrose.)

Woody said his filet was excellent and worthy of the high praise I’d read about. He enjoyed everything on his plate.

I was unable to finish my dinner. I was full. Dessert was out of the question.

Service tonight was top-notch. Our waiter was knowledgeable and attentive. Over the course of our meal two supervisors and a manager stopped by to check on us. It was not bothersome nor disruptive; all exhibited genuine care for us.

We were very pleased with our Flying Fish experience.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Now our challenge was how to get back to the Wilderness Lodge.

Slow boat to DHS to catch the bus? Walk off the calories through Epcot to the bus stop? The possibilities were endless!

But Tuvalu was inexplicably growing weary. My enthusiasm for anything other than easy and quick had waned. Boardwalk bus stop it was.

350BAB95-F817-403A-A05D-9F6FA8347735.jpeg

E54B47C4-9D47-42B0-801B-F2ED1C0B7D14.jpeg

We waited awhile for a bus, but it evened out once we got to MK and a found the WL bus waiting for us.

I changed into pjs and watched the Electrical Water Pageant before climbing into bed. I was exhausted.

In the morning I would understand why.

lindawdw

I'm so glad that the Flying Fish did not disappoint, and Woody had high praise for his filet. We'll have to give it a chance our next trip! Sorry you felt so exhausted, butI guess your body was telling you something.🥱

fractal

The mobile order pick up windows at Columbia Harbor House were jammed. I noticed that the steps to the second floor dining areas were no longer closed (they were last month when we dined with the @riverside crew), so I sent Woody upstairs to claim a table while I waited for our food.

He found the perfect spot.

View attachment 640690

Real chicken tenders….not nuggets!

View attachment 640691

We enjoyed people-watching as we ate our lunch.

View attachment 640692

That's always been my favorite spot upstairs at CHH! 🥰 It's a nice break from the noise downstairs, and it's also fun to have that window view of activities outside.

2nd floor Columbia House is the best!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
We discussed the various ways we could get to the restaurant using Disney transportation. Despite having our car, Woody prefers “full immersion” at WDW and that includes not driving ourselves around property. He is more a “journey” than a “destination” person. Different modes of transport are part of the fun.
Yay, Woody! I could relate to the full immersion part, and often -- more about the journey, versus destination. Luckily, the times I've visited WDW I wasn't in any particular hurry to get places, and I loved sight-seeing from all the different modes of transport -- buses, all boats, monorail, etc. (I haven't been since the gondolas were added.)

Songbird76

And some of the things we’ve seen out of that window….😳

Welcome back, @Songbird76! Wish you had been at dinner with us that night. Seems you have the courage we needed to speak up!

FTFY. 😉
Unfortunately, I only have that courage when it comes to my own kids. My MOM, on the other hand, would tell any child anywhere to knock off whatever behavior she was in disagreement with. In church, in a restaurant, in a grocery store. She also wasn't afraid to grab a kid by the neck and drag them to tell their parents what they were up to. I WILL intervene if a child is doing something dangerous, like trying to climb out of the grocery cart while mom's back is turned...I'll hover in case they fall and I will tell them to be careful just loud enough that the parent hears, and hopefully will then take care of it themselves. But I'm not brave enough in our litigious society to discipline another person's child...parents don't usually appreciate someone throwing it in their face that they are dropping the ball themselves. In the case of the child on the floor, I might have told her that it wasn't a good idea, and she might get stepped on. But really, a parent should know that's unacceptable...that's just complete laziness to let your kids run wild. I've always told my kids "We are not the only people here. Everyone wants a nice dinner, and that means we don't disturb them." I'm so sorry for your experience.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
I'm so glad that the Flying Fish did not disappoint, and Woody had high praise for his filet. We'll have to give it a chance our next trip!
We recommend that you do!

Grilled Romaine is something quite unusual, but tasty! It may be an acquired taste, and I haven’t yet gotten it down to look as appealing as it tastes. But put a Caesar dressing on it, and the char pairs perfectly
Thank you so much for sharing this!
Interested Season 10 GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

Yay, Woody! I could relate to the full immersion part, and often -- more about the journey, versus destination. Luckily, the times I've visited WDW I wasn't in any particular hurry to get places, and I loved sight-seeing from all the different modes of transport -- buses, all boats, monorail, etc. (I haven't been since the gondolas were added.)
One of the many reasons we like being in the bubble!
Bubble Boy Quarantine GIF by Cameo

I've always told my kids "We are not the only people here. Everyone wants a nice dinner, and that means we don't disturb them."
Morgan Freeman Applause GIF by The Academy Awards

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Disclaimer: There won’t be many pictures or much commentary about the next couple of days. I came down with a bad cold. Tested negative for Covid. Stayed out of crowds and was careful around people I had close contact with. We live in a society now where germs of any kind are not tolerated. But the reality is germs are everywhere.

Monday, May 9

I woke feeling lousy. Foggy head, scratchy throat, no energy.

My first thought? I HATE park reservations!!

You see, today’s park reservation was for Hollywood Studios. It was the only HS reservation we had for the week. I knew from checking availability that only one park was open through the next seven days - Epcot. While we could hop to HS after 2pm later in the week, we much prefer morning time in that park.

So I was doubly upset. There was no way I could make it to DHS today. I grieved the lost opportunity for RotR, MMRR (which I’d told Tuvaleen we’d ride for her), Slinky Dog, TSM and RnRC (for Woody.) And no Mama Melrose.

I forced myself to think positive. Couldn’t change the circumstances, but I could change my attitude. And one of my favorite pastimes at the WL awaited us.

BAEFD85F-5DF0-4D1F-A7BF-EF68ABA68BA6.jpeg

A4B9C1E6-C399-4DA3-AB60-3D72997FE45E.jpeg

Woody and I claimed a couple of shady loungers and spent a wonderfully relaxing day at the pool. Our cheeseburgers from Roaring Fork were especially good. My only complaint was we were given fries instead of homemade chips. (Cast members need better training on double-checking mobile orders!)

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
After showering, we sat outside and enjoyed our view.

393AA7D7-F96C-49F3-8156-63B395EB58FF.jpeg

85AEB117-70F2-481A-9AC9-053C3FA3D1F1.jpeg

We watched the geyser erupt. It seemed to go off every hour from 8am - 8pm. (Except under poor weather conditions.)

818593C6-3E43-42D6-AD9C-D30E74EADF56.jpeg

3626FEA5-49D2-45A7-9E1A-3023D114E02E.jpeg

The music from the pool was LOUD. I mean ear-splitting, where are my headphones loud. It eventually drove us inside our room, WHERE WE COULD STILL HEAR IT!!

The good news is someone must have complained. (I’ll bet there was more than one someone!) It was the only afternoon when the pool music was intolerable. I fault the four female CPs who were line dancing to every song. They were the ONLY ones dancing. None of the kids (for whom the activities are designed) paid any interest to them.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
If you thought we were having dinner at Cape May or Ale and Compass, you don’t know us at all.

5B339E4D-5AD7-43FE-A435-AFFEA432BEC0.jpeg

We had just been seated when the telltale Kitchen Sink lighting began to flash.

16750BA9-1B1B-4F35-9384-9F6EAC247869.jpeg

BA0640B7-609A-4642-B4EE-8CE6261F0C47.jpeg

05407740-7A12-409E-B7B8-02E0B8B116D6.jpeg

6F76F836-2B56-42B7-AE53-CBCF4C9DBC4E.jpeg

Two Kitchen Sinks were delivered at the same time. Four in total during the hour we were there. Unlike @Loco_driver, this did not bother me at all. I found it a comfort that more “Disney things” have returned to normal.

For our meals we had Chili and American Nachos.

The real reason for the ADR….

“Oh boy, my No Way José!”
29EE3374-B1E5-435A-AF70-C922159D222E.jpeg

My ice cream felt so soothing on my throat.

DB44F21A-614B-491C-8E24-376EDA91D8DB.jpeg

93boomer

Premium Member
Disclaimer: There won’t be many pictures or much commentary about the next couple of days. I came down with a bad cold. Tested negative for Covid. Stayed out of crowds and was careful around people I had close contact with. We live in a society now where germs of any kind are not tolerated. But the reality is germs are everywhere.

Monday, May 9

I woke feeling lousy. Foggy head, scratchy throat, no energy.

My first thought? I HATE park reservations!!

You see, today’s park reservation was for Hollywood Studios. It was the only HS reservation we had for the week. I knew from checking availability that only one park was open through the next seven days - Epcot. While we could hop to HS after 2pm later in the week, we much prefer morning time in that park.

So I was doubly upset. There was no way I could make it to DHS today. I grieved the lost opportunity for RotR, MMRR (which I’d told Tuvaleen we’d ride for her), Slinky Dog, TSM and RnRC (for Woody.) And no Mama Melrose.

I forced myself to think positive. Couldn’t change the circumstances, but I could change my attitude. And one of my favorite pastimes at the WL awaited us.

View attachment 641044

View attachment 641045

Woody and I claimed a couple of shady loungers and spent a wonderfully relaxing day at the pool. Our cheeseburgers from Roaring Fork were especially good. My only complaint was we were given fries instead of homemade chips. (Cast members need better training on double-checking mobile orders!)
Yeah it wasn’t a very good morning for you. 🙁
Good that you and Woody could rest and relax. WDW and sickness isn’t a fun time. But, you made the best of it. At least you had a nice pool to go to. 😊

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Epcot Evening Hours were tonight from 9-11pm.

Did we attend?
Sarcastic Not Funny GIF

Rather we took a cool cruise to DHS.

8D54051E-5268-4913-B444-FD9B711A0AA0.jpeg

(And yes, the irony is not lost on me that we did, in fact, make it to Hollywood Studios today.)

Followed by a brisk walk to the WL bus stop.

We took a gaze down into the lobby once we were home.
7FF466D7-FF2F-473E-AEA6-DB1F887CF54A.jpeg

Watched TV and went to sleep early.

lindawdw

I'm so sorry you felt bad enough in the morning that you didn't feel up to going to DHS.😥 I'm sure a pool day was just what the doctor ordered! We are really big on enjoying our balcony while at WDW but when you face the main pools, the game time screaming from the CM's in the afternoon is sooo unenjoyable. 🤪 I'm so glad that you felt well enough to go for your dinner at B&C as I know how much you enjoy it! A boat ride over to DHS afterwards sounds so relaxing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom