Rumor Bye Bye (Tiki) Birdies?

wedenterprises

I don't think UNM failed because simply it was an overlay, I think it failed because it was cynical, plus Iago was annoying. A character like Hei Hei is sweet and innocent and could potentially strengthen the existing spirit of the show.

While I would personally leave the Tiki Room alone, there exists an entry point for the poor Imagineer who has been tasked with pulling a Chapek.

If it's more than an overlay and they tear the show out, I'll definitely be upset.

Donaldfan1934

Well, you know, if they can shoehorn Frozen into Maelstrom...
I get what you’re saying, but I’m not sure that’s a fair comparison. Technically speaking, there’s a lot more you more you can do with a ride show building even if it’s not particularly large when compared to similar attractions. The Tiki Room is exactly what it says it is: a room. The space is so limiting that it would difficult to turn it into a truly worthy Moana experience for even casual guests.

Allyp

In the Parks
Yes
For as much as I love Moana, I'd be terribly saddened to see the Tiki Room go especially since they brought it back to its original state after UNM. I feel like Disneyland shouldn't be the keeper of all Walt original attractions and we should save the few that we have here as well.

Donaldfan1934

I don't think UNM failed because simply it was an overlay, I think it failed because it was cynical, plus Iago was annoying. A character like Hei Hei is sweet and innocent and could potentially strengthen the existing spirit of the show.

While I would personally leave the Tiki Room alone, there exists an entry point for the poor Imagineer who has been tasked with pulling a Chapek.

If it's more than an overlay and they tear the show out, I'll definitely be upset.
Say what you will about UNM, but at least it was extremely self-aware of the reasons behind its own existence. If this ends up happening, I can guarantee you it won’t be.

ToTBellHop

For as much as I love Moana, I'd be terribly saddened to see the Tiki Room go especially since they brought it back to its original state after UNM. I feel like Disneyland shouldn't be the keeper of all Walt original attractions and we should save the few that we have here as well.
On the other hand, folks complain that WDW always gets what DL gets. Even MMRR and TRON may (will? Certainly MMRR is being copy/pasted to DL and WDSP) go to DL.

When I went to DL, it had a feel that I can’t fully explain. You could feel Walt’s presence there. This has never existed in WDW for me. I don’t mind DL staying Walt Disney’s Magic Kingdom and ours changing. The idea of updating the Tiki Room wasn’t the problem to me. It was the execution. Under New Management was OBNOXIOUS. Like everything with Gilbert Gottfried...

Allyp

In the Parks
Yes
On the other hand, folks complain that WDW always gets what DL gets. Even MMRR and TRON may (will? Certainly MMRR is being copy/pasted to DL and WDSP) go to DL.

When I went to DL, it had a feel that I can’t fully explain. You could feel Walt’s presence there. This has never existed in WDW for me. I don’t mind DL staying Walt Disney’s Magic Kingdom and ours changing. The idea of updating the Tiki Room wasn’t the problem to me. It was the execution. Under New Management was OBNOXIOUS. Like everything with Gilbert Gottfried...

I think that feeling is the quaintness and old world charm of Disneyland. Small walkways, big trees, park benches, it truly is a theme park from the past. That being said, Magic Kingdom is also about to hit 50yrs old. Its no young park either, so while MK doesn't have the Walt presence, we can still get that from some of our oldest attractions. I'm not a hard core attraction saver by any means, however I think its good to keep some of that old world charm/magic from yesteryear available in WDW for future generations to enjoy. If we remove them entirely, what makes it different than any other theme park?

ToTBellHop

I think that feeling is the quaintness and old world charm of Disneyland. Small walkways, big trees, park benches, it truly is a theme park from the past. That being said, Magic Kingdom is also about to hit 50yrs old. Its no young park either, so while MK doesn't have the Walt presence, we can still get that from some of our oldest attractions. I'm not a hard core attraction saver by any means, however I think its good to keep some of that old world charm/magic from yesteryear available in WDW for future generations to enjoy. If we remove them entirely, what makes it different than any other theme park?
My understanding is Walt didn’t want WDW to be a copy of Disneyland, so my point is more that people who want shows to stay over some connection to the founder of the company are misunderstanding his dreams for the Florida project.

I understand everyone’s feelings of nostalgia. Again, I’d be devastated if HM left. Disney has been removing classics for decades, however. I don’t believer there should be a certain age beyond which an attraction is untouchable.

CJR

It's not too surprising IMO. I just hope it stays on the East coast and keeps away from DL. At least it's not a return to Under New Management.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

Disneyland has a certain charm that is indeed hard to explain, but you definitely feel it once you walk under the bridge and onto Main Street.

Disneyland Parc, surprisingly, has some of that charm as well, or at least it did for me. You'll hopefully understand what I'm talking about next year. :)

I'll believe any rumor about the Tiki Room once it closes, or once a certain few insiders say something's definitely happening with it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom