News Buzzy’s been stolen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goofyernmost

You forgetting about Discovery Island, it was completely abandoned after they opened AK.
Well, I would think that if anyone wanted to explore a island that has nothing on it but trees, and probably one or two alligators, are welcome to it. That is different then an open pavilion in an active park regardless of what it is currently being used for. What are they going to find on that island that anyone would want to see? Big Foot, perhaps? Besides it has been done more then once. And due to that, there is probably less concern by Disney. Nothing new to see there, so not really part of the discussion. It is amazing the amount of creative justification that some can come up with. Nothing valid, of course, but, quite creative at times, albeit mostly irrelevant.

elhefe4

If something is truly abandoned, then it isn’t trespassing.

Nope. Whether you use the legal definition:
Let's look at the law in Florida:
810.08 Trespass in structure or conveyance.—
(1) Whoever, without being authorized, licensed, or invited, willfully enters or remains in any structure or conveyance, or, having been authorized, licensed, or invited, is warned by the owner or lessee of the premises, or by a person authorized by the owner or lessee, to depart and refuses to do so, commits the offense of trespass in a structure or conveyance.
(2)(a) Except as otherwise provided in this subsection, trespass in a structure or conveyance is a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.
(b) If there is a human being in the structure or conveyance at the time the offender trespassed, attempted to trespass, or was in the structure or conveyance, the trespass in a structure or conveyance is a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.
(c) If the offender is armed with a firearm or other dangerous weapon, or arms himself or herself with such while in the structure or conveyance, the trespass in a structure or conveyance is a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084. Any owner or person authorized by the owner may, for prosecution purposes, take into custody and detain, in a reasonable manner, for a reasonable length of time, any person when he or she reasonably believes that a violation of this paragraph has been or is being committed, and he or she reasonably believes that the person to be taken into custody and detained has committed or is committing such violation. In the event a person is taken into custody, a law enforcement officer shall be called as soon as is practicable after the person has been taken into custody. The taking into custody and detention by such person, if done in compliance with the requirements of this paragraph, shall not render such person criminally or civilly liable for false arrest, false imprisonment, or unlawful detention.
(3) As used in this section, the term “person authorized” means any owner or lessee, or his or her agent, or any law enforcement officer whose department has received written authorization from the owner or lessee, or his or her agent, to communicate an order to depart the property in the case of a threat to public safety or welfare.

or the colloquial definition:
trespass
/ˈtrɛspəs/
verb
gerund or present participle: trespassing
  1. 1.
    enter someone's land or property without permission

entering someone's property without permission, regardless of whether it's "abandoned" (however that's defined), is still trespassing, which is a crime. I think people mistook my previous distinction between burglary and trespassing as support for the urban explorers who trespass, but it's the opposite. People keep arguing that intent matters, but for trespassing it does not. It's a crime to simply be on property for which you haven't been given permission. Burglary is trespassing with intent to commit another crime (usually, but not solely, theft) and the fact that we have this separate crime of burglary implies that we as a society intended to criminalize being on property that we don't have permission to be on, regardless of intent. If someone owns the property you're "exploring" on and they haven't given you explicit permission to be there, you're committing a crime, full stop.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
If something is truly abandoned, then it isn’t trespassing.

Keep changing that goal post.

Nice use of "something" so you can weasel out of whether Discovery Island is abandoned or not.

So, let's reset:

Discovery Island is no longer used by Disney as an attraction for guests, but, Disney still owns it. It is Disney property. Disney gets to decide who goes to that island or not. Because of that, it is not "abandoned" in the legal sense. It still has an owner who controls it. Disney doesn't want people on that island. Therefor, the people who sneak onto it, whether or not they video it; whether or not they break or take things; just going out to it without Disney's permission is *trespassing.*

Yes or no?

DreamfinderGuy

entering someone's property
B50B313C-44F6-43B5-AD4A-73E463B08940.jpeg

If it’s truly abandoned, then it isn’t anyone’s property. By the legal definition, a space that’s still owned by someone, even if it’s a deserted island that hasn’t had the owners on it for 20 years, is trespassing. :p

elhefe4

By the legal definition, a space that’s still owned by someone, even if it’s a deserted island that hasn’t had the owners on it for 20 years, is trespassing. :p
Bingo, you're finally getting it! That's exactly correct.

This part though, not so much:
If it’s truly abandoned, then it isn’t anyone’s property.
Did you not read the legal definition? It's pretty clear.

DreamfinderGuy

Let's put it this way: I am much more inline with Seph than I am with Matt.
Seph Lawless? He’s an idiot. Tried fact correcting him on something about River Country once, and he went off on me and blocked me. Must feel nice to throw a fit and end up being the lesser person in comparison to a kid just trying to help out his historical accuracy, lol.

elhefe4

Exactly! Looks like we’re finally agreeing. I’m trying to defend urbex in general in that area, not River Country or DI, because they’re still technically Disney Property
I'm confused by your reference to those two areas then. It sounded like you were saying they're abandoned and fair game for people to explore without permission.

DreamfinderGuy

I'm confused by your reference to those two areas then. It sounded like you were saying they're abandoned and fair game for people to explore without permission.
Poor word choice. I’m trying to say that not all urbex is bad like these boards are painting it out to be. Urbex isn’t theft. Theft is Theft. Urbex on Disney Property is also trespassing, since nothing is technically (legally) considered abandoned

elhefe4

Poor word choice. I’m trying to say that not all urbex is bad like these boards are painting it out to be. Urbex isn’t theft. Theft is Theft. Urbex on Disney Property is also trespassing, since nothing is technically (legally) considered abandoned
Okay, sounds like we're on the same page. Also, I think your definition of abandoned property only refers to tangible personal property, not land. It's very difficult to find land that doesn't have an owner. You're right though, theft is theft, and entering property with intent to commit a crime is burglary. Without criminal intent, it's still trespassing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom