Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin - Classic or Not

Is SRS a classic?

• Total voters

MickeyLuv'r

With a few updates, the ride could be quite a bit better. Aspects of it are charming, but it could use a few tweaks. A bit like some of the updates other classic attractions have been given over the years. I don't think anyone misses the HM orange glow-paint spiders. Better blasters and more interactive targets would make the ride quite a bit more fun.

S.I.R. the Robot

In the Parks
No
With a few updates, the ride could be quite a bit better. Aspects of it are charming, but it could use a few tweaks. A bit like some of the updates other classic attractions have been given over the years. I don't think anyone misses the HM orange glow-paint spiders. Better blasters and more interactive targets would make the ride quite a bit more fun.
But don't replace Ken Mitchroney as Zurg. He wants to stay in the parks.

TheCoasterNerd

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Ok, so let me ask this - if you could replace it with a different IP (NOT A NEW STORY, JUST NEW IP) what would you choose that would fit better there, and what ride style etc. would you choose?

Weather_Lady

It's fine for what it is. It pales in comparison to, say, Men In Black over at Universal, but it's an enjoyable attraction that moves people through quickly and is fun for guests of all ages. Not everything needs to be an E-ticket (nor should it, since WDW refuses to design E-tickets with sufficient capacity to accommodate more than a fraction of the guests who want to ride - hence, ILL and VQ schemes to ensure that only the richest, luckiest, or most tech-savvy will have the privilege).

Given WDW's recent track record, it's safe to assume that anything Disney might replace it with would take 5-10 years to build, and would end up being too short in duration, too unreliable in terms of ride system functioning, too small in terms of capacity, or too cheapened-down-by-the-bean-counters (or some combination of those ) to be a meaningful replacement. That said, there's no reason that Buzz -- which in response to the OP's question, I'd suggest is a "classic" -- should have been allowed to languish in sub-optimal condition. A deep cleaning, restoration, and even an update with some better lighting and other effects, is certainly in order.

Last edited:

bjlc57

its a classic that also looks like a dumpster fire... it needs to be fixed up.. it needs attention.. and the people that run it need to feel that they have pride in the ride as opposed to hey its a dump .. get on the ride and get off.. see you real soon..

celluloid

The declining by degrees in this place is no joke. Right down to the queue being once small and compact fun for what they could do with it to absolute junk by even regional theme park standards.

Quite sad compared to how Dreamflight's queue set up was.

tanc

The ride is in the worst shape I've ever seen it. The vehicles need serious maintenance, lots of markings and missing paint. Some of the vehicles were just covered as the ride was running. It's kind of crazy by how low Disney's maintenance standards have become.

PaulZ

I think there should be a Toy Story version of Buzz Lightyear interactive experience like that there. In that vein, I say it’s a classic. The current iteration though needs to go and a new one put in.

Chip Chipperson

Yeah, the blasters need to be improved. Most of the time the triggers are stiff and don't work right and it would be nice if different blasters had different color beams so you know which dot is yours when your in a space with multiple ride vehicles all facing the same direction.

It's a fun ride but is easily eclipsed by TSMM over in DHS. Similar rides but one is light years behind the other (couldn't help myself).

S.I.R. the Robot

In the Parks
No
Justice League has PS3 level CGI that badly needs an upgrade. At least DisneyQuest had charm and was actually from the PS1 era. Justice League was made in 2015. Two years after the PS4 came out. Even Elevator Action Invasion at my local Dave & Buster's has better CGI.

Buzz has 2D thru and thru. Sure, the tunnel sequence that I revere so much still uses 16mm film, but everything else is fine. Plus, cybervillain is making a resurgence (check out its article on Aesthetics Wiki); so the art style isn't even a problem (and also, who the fleep saw Lightyear??)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom