Buying resale

Jeaniecm

Original Poster
I'm thinking of buying DVC resale since the cost is much less than buying direct from Disney.
Any advice Pros & Cons ???

EOD K9

I'm thinking of buying DVC resale since the cost is much less than buying direct from Disney.
Any advice Pros & Cons ???
There are several threads created on this. They are a good place to start. If you have further questions, please ask. Welcome to the boards.

slappy magoo

Biggest con is that you will not get any of the discounts or perks available to someone who buys DVC direct from Disney. But you'll still be able to use it at all DVC resorts, and exchange through RCI. But people who buy resale are often able to buy very small contracts later direct from Disney (like 25 points) and then get the perks of membership.
Because the price for resale has exploded the past few years, don't buy unless you can pay it off at closing or fast enough that interest won't kill you (within a year).
The general rule is "buy where you would most want to stay" but if you think you'd be able to often use your membership during the (slightly less) crowded periods, you could save more money buying at the less popular resorts like Saratoga, Old Key West or Animal Kingdom (and if that's one of the resorts you were considering in the first place, all the better).

correcaminos

Biggest con is that you will not get any of the discounts or perks available to someone who buys DVC direct from Disney. But you'll still be able to use it at all DVC resorts, and exchange through RCI. But people who buy resale are often able to buy very small contracts later direct from Disney (like 25 points) and then get the perks of membership.
Because the price for resale has exploded the past few years, don't buy unless you can pay it off at closing or fast enough that interest won't kill you (within a year).
The general rule is "buy where you would most want to stay" but if you think you'd be able to often use your membership during the (slightly less) crowded periods, you could save more money buying at the less popular resorts like Saratoga, Old Key West or Animal Kingdom (and if that's one of the resorts you were considering in the first place, all the better).

That's not my best advice because some of the slightly less crowded times are the lowest points and thereby the hardest to book.

You now need 75 points to get full membership. So no longer 25 like before.

I do agree buy where you want to stay most, or at least where you would be happiest to stay.

Pros of resale, almost always a better deal. Only exception that you have to run numbers on would be smaller contracts. Or if you want to buy under 75 direct - you cannot do that as a new member now. But if you want a small contract, run numbers to make sure. Closing costs for resale are much higher than direct (even while financing).

I don't think the cons are all that bad. I don't think the perks are worth it if you want larger contracts. Resale other con is you might not get your first contract or two if Disney takes it back. time it takes to get the points is about 2 months (maybe more) where direct is really quick.

Feel free to ask away though. I've done both direct and resale for different reasons, though I started with resale myself.

HansGruber

To counter the "buy where you want to stay" mentality.....

If you buy at a more expensive resort, you may feel obligated to consistently stay at that resort on every trip. This will obviously restrict your ability to experience different resorts through your life. Staying at a cheaper resort will feel somewhat like a waste of money.

Also, I have never had a bad experience at any DVC resort. It's akin to not liking a BMW because they way the dashboard looks. All the resorts are nice.

The system is setup such that you don't have to stay at your home resort on every trip. If massive savings can be realized by purchasing at a cheaper resort, that can be a much better option.

dreamfinder

To counter the "buy where you want to stay" mentality.....

If you buy at a more expensive resort, you may feel obligated to consistently stay at that resort on every trip. This will obviously restrict your ability to experience different resorts through your life. Staying at a cheaper resort will feel somewhat like a waste of money.

Also, I have never had a bad experience at any DVC resort. It's akin to not liking a BMW because they way the dashboard looks. All the resorts are nice.

The system is setup such that you don't have to stay at your home resort on every trip. If massive savings can be realized by purchasing at a cheaper resort, that can be a much better option.

Keep in mind that it's seemingly getting much harder to book, so that home resort booking window is getting more important. Especially if you don't have lots of flexibility in your schedule and don't want to buy alot of extra points or have to bank/borrow just in case you have to stay at a different more expensive resort.

correcaminos

Keep in mind that it's seemingly getting much harder to book, so that home resort booking window is getting more important. Especially if you don't have lots of flexibility in your schedule and don't want to buy alot of extra points or have to bank/borrow just in case you have to stay at a different more expensive resort.

In addition particularly if you book studios and pretty mandatory if a studio during fall/early winter months.

correcaminos

What does that mean exactly? Don't the "more expensive" resorts book-up faster?
If I buy at a cheaper resort, in what scenario would I be forced to stay at a more expensive resort?

Actually the larger resorts book last. Right now looking 7 months out for a studio. Let's say you want to be by MK. The cheaper (smaller) resorts at WL are booked. BLT is booked except for Theme Park and PVB standard are the only ones left. Epcot is booked up solidly too.

Yes you could go to AKL, OKW or SSR, but OKW usually is less than SSR and SSR is the last to book. Now if you willing to pay more for a 1 bedroom your choices are higher. So if you don't buy where you want to stay, you often get left out or have to pay more points for next choice.

At least that's how I read it. Though I'm not nitpicking on one word.

dreamfinder

What does that mean exactly? Don't the "more expensive" resorts book-up faster?
If I buy at a cheaper resort, in what scenario would I be forced to stay at a more expensive resort?

Perhaps instead of "have" I should have said "want".

A lot of people buy at OKW or SSR because the resale contracts at those resorts are cheaper, rather than actually wanting to stay there. They buy them expecting to be able to book at Poly/BWV/etc at the 7 month window, which is becoming harder to do. No one would force you to stay at a different resort, but if you wanted to stay somewhere else, you may need more points. Want a cheap studio? Might not be able to w/o the home booking window, so need to use extra points to upgrade to a fancy view. Or you may not be able to get into Poly and need to book GF (no idea what the actual points are)

If you buy where you want to stay, and book during the home window, you shouldn't need to stay elsewhere.

HansGruber

Perhaps instead of "have" I should have said "want".

A lot of people buy at OKW or SSR because the resale contracts at those resorts are cheaper, rather than actually wanting to stay there. They buy them expecting to be able to book at Poly/BWV/etc at the 7 month window, which is becoming harder to do. No one would force you to stay at a different resort, but if you wanted to stay somewhere else, you may need more points. Want a cheap studio? Might not be able to w/o the home booking window, so need to use extra points to upgrade to a fancy view. Or you may not be able to get into Poly and need to book GF (no idea what the actual points are)

If you buy where you want to stay, and book during the home window, you shouldn't need to stay elsewhere.

Correct, using "have" or "want" completely changes the entire discussion.

But I suspect only hard-core/ picky members NEED to stay at certain resorts. Most DVC members will enjoy any resort they visit.

HansGruber

Actually the larger resorts book last. Right now looking 7 months out for a studio. Let's say you want to be by MK. The cheaper (smaller) resorts at WL are booked. BLT is booked except for Theme Park and PVB standard are the only ones left. Epcot is booked up solidly too.

Yes you could go to AKL, OKW or SSR, but OKW usually is less than SSR and SSR is the last to book. Now if you willing to pay more for a 1 bedroom your choices are higher. So if you don't buy where you want to stay, you often get left out or have to pay more points for next choice.

At least that's how I read it. Though I'm not nitpicking on one word.

Not really following much of this, but if I buy SSR because it's cheap (and has a diverse number of options), then I guarantee my stay at SSR in almost every season.
So, I get guaranteed booking AND at a cheaper rate.

HansGruber

I think my general con on "buy where you want to stay", is it implies money is no object....which is irresponsible IMO. We're talking tens of thousands of dollars here for vacation.

Yes, if you have a plethora of disposable income, buy wherever you want.
But, I suspect a reasonable number of DVC members don't have the money to spend; as evident by the availability of financing and the absurd rates charged.

I'd rather amend the statement to "buy what's affordable and where you would enjoy staying".

correcaminos

Not really following much of this, but if I buy SSR because it's cheap (and has a diverse number of options), then I guarantee my stay at SSR in almost every season.
So, I get guaranteed booking AND at a cheaper rate.
Um, I think you are confusing what I said. I said OKW is cheaper point wise as a whole over SSR. SSR also is the last to book historically due to it's massive size (much larger than OKW really).

So if you want to stay at OKW, and get stuck at SSR, you're paying more and not where you want to be. None of this has a thing to do with buying SSR. We're talking point 'cost' here (amount of points used for room). Nothing else.

You asked for an example. I gave two. One was a want of a location. One was a point spending at one location vs another as a whole.

I think my general con on "buy where you want to stay", is it implies money is no object....which is irresponsible IMO. We're talking tens of thousands of dollars here for vacation.

Yes, if you have a plethora of disposable income, buy wherever you want.
But, I suspect a reasonable number of DVC members don't have the money to spend; as evident by the availability of financing and the absurd rates charged.

I'd rather amend the statement to "buy what's affordable and where you would enjoy staying".

It's not irresponsible if you hate SSR and refuse to buy there because you never want to be stuck there. Then again this is a vacation so nothing about spending money is 'responsible' at all. Seriously it's a luxury, so if you are only into this for being as exactly cheap as possible, then you're looking at the wrong thing.

We don't have a plethora of disposable income, but we've been able to do 4 contracts as cash purchases. We just saved up for it. Those who finance I don't think are wise, but hey we all have to do what works.

I still say, buy where you are most wanting to stay. If you don't care, then buy wherever. If you only want Epcot area, don't be dumb and buy SSR or AKL or OKW. Buy one of the two. If it matters that much, it would be worth the money. But again this is all luxury items anyway, so none of this is terribly responsible anyway.

HansGruber

So if you want to stay at OKW, and get stuck at SSR, you're paying more and not where you want to be.

No. If your home base is OKW, then you stay at OKW because you can reserve first at 11 months. There is no getting "stuck" at SSR.
But we have already established that being "forced" to stay at a more expensive resort was not the original intent as incorrectly stated. "Desiring" to stay at a more expensive resort was the appropriate and intended word.

Seriously it's a luxury, so if you are only into this for being as exactly cheap as possible, then you're looking at the wrong thing.

That is literally the point of DVC...pre-paid cheaper vacations. That's the main attraction, that's the main draw.
If you don't believe so, then it would be wiser to NOT buy into DVC, invest the money in the market and use the gains to pay retail prices which can still be used at DVC resorts.

correcaminos

No. If your home base is OKW, then you stay at OKW because you can reserve first at 11 months. There is no getting "stuck" at SSR.
But we have already established that being "forced" to stay at a more expensive resort was not the original intent as incorrectly stated. "Desiring" to stay at a more expensive resort was the appropriate and intended word.

That is literally the point of DVC...pre-paid cheaper vacations. That's the main attraction, that's the main draw.
If you don't believe so, then it would be wiser to NOT buy into DVC, invest the money in the market and use the gains to pay retail prices which can still be used at DVC resorts.
Please read what I said. If you do not own at OKW you cannot book at OKW and will be stuck paying more points to stay at SSR because you don't own at OKW. I'm not sure why you keep misreading what people say to you over and over again. Is a very simple concept with math really. I gave you two examples too, one of which was a desire in resorts. The other a way someone could be forced to spend more for a room. Al examples of what can happen what you do not ever buy where you intend to stay.

I get that DVC makes for cheaper prepaid deluxe Disney stays. But it is just that - a deluxe stay at Disney. It is by no means the cheapest way to go to Disney, nor is it anything beyond a luxury item. To pretend it's not would be unwise.

I'm a 14+ year owner. I'm not the one who needs to be convinced to buy. I do know it's a total luxury and unnecessary item as are all of my trips. I really wonder yet again what you are here for. I wonder your connection to DVC at this point really with your disdain towards certain things about DVC, yet your lack of real knowledge in others.

ryguy

I just bought into DVC on resale. Since I am a Florida resident many of the discounts I get already, so it was a no brainer for me to buy resale. I also didn't really care about the special events. Another aspect that helped with our decision was the fact you can pay your yearly dues with points from our Disney Visa card.

HansGruber

Please read what I said. If you do not own at OKW you cannot book at OKW and will be stuck paying more points to stay at SSR because you don't own at OKW. I'm not sure why you keep misreading what people say to you over and over again. Is a very simple concept with math really. I gave you two examples too, one of which was a desire in resorts. The other a way someone could be forced to spend more for a room. Al examples of what can happen what you do not ever buy where you intend to stay.

No, I can't understand what you are trying to state. You've deviated way too far from the original topic, which was an incredibly simple one. You gave no examples. Everything you stated has been a floating hypothetical.

Here are the parameters:
I own OKW. OKW is my home base. Give me an example of how I would be forced to stay at a more expensive resort.
That was the origianl question:
"If I buy at a cheaper resort, in what scenario would I be forced to stay at a more expensive resort?"
And go.......

I get that DVC makes for cheaper prepaid deluxe Disney stays. But it is just that - a deluxe stay at Disney. It is by no means the cheapest way to go to Disney, nor is it anything beyond a luxury item. To pretend it's not would be unwise.

By your logic, instead of buying that luxury Lexus for $35K, might as well buy the luxury Lamborghini for $200K. Both are luxury items, thus money is no object? Makes absolutely no sense....zero sense.

correcaminos

No, I can't understand what you are trying to state. You've deviated way too far from the original topic, which was an incredibly simple one. You gave no examples. Everything you stated has been a floating hypothetical.

Here are the parameters:
I own OKW. OKW is my home base. Give me an example of how I would be forced to stay at a more expensive resort.
That was the origianl question:
"If I buy at a cheaper resort, in what scenario would I be forced to stay at a more expensive resort?"
And go.......

By your logic, instead of buying that luxury Lexus for $35K, might as well buy the luxury Lamborghini for $200K. Both are luxury items, thus money is no object? Makes absolutely no sense....zero sense.

Actually the original statement was "Keep in mind that it's seemingly getting much harder to book, so that home resort booking window is getting more important. Especially if you don't have lots of flexibility in your schedule and don't want to buy alot of extra points or have to bank/borrow just in case you have to stay at a different more expensive resort. "

So you are the one who keeps adding and diverting this from the original statement at hand to keep the arguments going which you seem to appreciate more than real and meaningful discussions. If your home is OKW then this doesn't matter at all and honestly every single person here knows that. But if you buy in anywhere hoping to stay at a cheaper resort type, you don't always get what you want.

This is true of those who think they can get studios especially for a family of 5 which is what I was referring to in my first reply. To explain, SSR, OKW, AKL, CCV, and BLT all only hold 4. You buy in thinking you can stay at BCV, BWV, or BRV. You try to book and due to size of BCV and BRV, they sell out super quick. BWV too because of location. VGF is also small so not there, but PVB with 360 studios (more than BWV's 245) is available. It can sleep 5 and so you're forced to stay there with a higher number of points. Or you decide to jump to a 1 bedroom and be forced to spend. Which in my first reply is what I was getting at. If you want studios, you must really be aware that buying not buying where you want to stay most is a bad idea.

Not to mention room types (value or standard vs preferred/garden/lake etc views). Only concierge at AKL books faster than lower point types.

Again I wasn't nitpicking one word here or there like you were and stated as much in my replies.

Your logic above is extreme too and absolutely irrelevant. Vacations are luxury items. One does not need to stay on site in a deluxe resort. I'd say it'd be more like comparing a Kia to a BMW. Both will get you a vehicle, but one will be more upscale than the other. If you are really penny pinching to get the best value out of a vacation, DVC is not the wisest choice. You get special perks staying on site, but I guarantee you will get a better deal staying elsewhere. Same with cars, a BMW is not a great value, but they are a heck of a lot of fun to drive. You are allowed to spend more to enjoy something. Just don't pretend a BMW is the best price out there or anything more than an extra luxury.

That said I think we all know you are RESALE ONLY type. And that any other purchase besides exactly what you think or do is not good.

I'm still torn between what resale company you work for or why do you enjoy trolling so much or even why do you hate DVC yet post here so much? But if you worked for a resale company you'd be a lousy sales person as you'd want to make bigger bucks selling the more expensive price per point rooms. SSR is not one of them...

HansGruber

Actually the original statement was "Keep in mind that it's seemingly getting much harder to book, so that home resort booking window is getting more important. Especially if you don't have lots of flexibility in your schedule and don't want to buy alot of extra points or have to bank/borrow just in case you have to stay at a different more expensive resort. "

So you are the one who keeps adding and diverting this from the original statement at hand to keep the arguments going which you seem to appreciate more than real and meaningful discussions. If your home is OKW then this doesn't matter at all and honestly every single person here knows that. But if you buy in anywhere hoping to stay at a cheaper resort type, you don't always get what you want.

This is true of those who think they can get studios especially for a family of 5 which is what I was referring to in my first reply. To explain, SSR, OKW, AKL, CCV, and BLT all only hold 4. You buy in thinking you can stay at BCV, BWV, or BRV. You try to book and due to size of BCV and BRV, they sell out super quick. BWV too because of location. VGF is also small so not there, but PVB with 360 studios (more than BWV's 245) is available. It can sleep 5 and so you're forced to stay there with a higher number of points. Or you decide to jump to a 1 bedroom and be forced to spend. Which in my first reply is what I was getting at. If you want studios, you must really be aware that buying not buying where you want to stay most is a bad idea.

Not to mention room types (value or standard vs preferred/garden/lake etc views). Only concierge at AKL books faster than lower point types.

Again I wasn't nitpicking one word here or there like you were and stated as much in my replies.

Your logic above is extreme too and absolutely irrelevant. Vacations are luxury items. One does not need to stay on site in a deluxe resort. I'd say it'd be more like comparing a Kia to a BMW. Both will get you a vehicle, but one will be more upscale than the other. If you are really penny pinching to get the best value out of a vacation, DVC is not the wisest choice. You get special perks staying on site, but I guarantee you will get a better deal staying elsewhere. Same with cars, a BMW is not a great value, but they are a heck of a lot of fun to drive. You are allowed to spend more to enjoy something. Just don't pretend a BMW is the best price out there or anything more than an extra luxury.

That said I think we all know you are RESALE ONLY type. And that any other purchase besides exactly what you think or do is not good.

I'm still torn between what resale company you work for or why do you enjoy trolling so much or even why do you hate DVC yet post here so much? But if you worked for a resale company you'd be a lousy sales person as you'd want to make bigger bucks selling the more expensive price per point rooms. SSR is not one of them...

Seriously?! You quoted me in Post #9!! And my question wasn't even directed at you!
I've been quoting off of THAT thread. Go back and follow the chain. I haven't once responded to your original statement.

We are talking within the confines of DVC membership, which is a luxury item. A Kia vs BMW comparison isn't valid because a Kia isn't a luxury car. Why are you changing the parameters of the discussion?!

You conveniently ignored my previous statement, "If you don't believe so, then it would be wiser to NOT buy into DVC, invest the money in the market and use the gains to pay retail prices which can still be used at DVC resorts."
I mean, clearly you didn't do that because you are realizing the savings of a DVC membership, which......again.......is the main attraction to DVC membership.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom