Buying groceries - what's your opinion?

Scoob

We are planning our first trip to Disey World starting June 3rd. I'm trying to do some planning for the trip.

I've read about online grocery orders and possible car rentals to go to a store- I believe National and Alamo have on site rentals.

What's the opinion of the veterans other there on the best option to get some groceries for our two kids?

Magical Dreamer

I highly recommend Garden Grocer for delivery to your resort. (A+++)

Prices are fair, Produce is fresh, Full grocery assortment is available on their easy to use website. (gardengrocer.com)

You can drive & shop when you get back home....don't take the time away from your vacation.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
We drive down so getting groceries was fairly easy but we stopped doing it a few years ago as it always seemed to be more trouble than it was worth. When I took into account the hassle of getting stuff, hauling it to and from the room, storing it, always getting more stuff than we needed, etc it never panned out to be positive. About the most we do now is get a case of water or Gatorade.

Upvote 0

Club Cooloholic

Let me add one thing. Everytime I go on a trip, anywhere I end up buying a bottle or two of wine or a some beer. Even when I am at a place like the beach, I usually fine myself giving the stuff away at the end of trip because you end up eating/drinking out more than you think. But since this is a trip with our 2 year old this year, I am thinking a gallon of milk will be in order instead of a bottle of wine.

Upvote 0

bmarkelon

We loved the Garden Grocer! Tried them out our last trip in October and will definitely be ordering again for our August trip. Wonderful service!

Upvote 0

K&KMom

Have you considered shipping food down there? It would take care of your dry/canned goods for not a lot of money and you could buy fresh items like milk at a Disney convenience store. MouseSavers has some great info at http://www.mousesavers.com/meals.html#howtobring. My personal preference is to not enter a grocery store on vacation!! If you need a lot of food, I'd go with a GardenGrocer or WeGoShop.

Enjoy your trip!!

Upvote 0

Disney05

It seems GG has the best feedback. I think they have a $40 minimum. Not sure what the delivery charge is. I just shipped down a box of mostly breakfast items for my stay next week at CSR.

Upvote 0

Magical Dreamer

Delivery charge is $12.00 to your resort.

Last year we ordered sandwich items (deli meats),breakfast items, snacks, fruit, case of water, case of soda, 12pk Beer, 3 bottles of Wine.

Price, Service & Quality couldn't be beat.

Upvote 0

Bri1121

I just saw this delivery service on here and wish we knew about it. We use to rent a car for the day on the way from the airport. I mean it wastes about 20 minutes. I learned that some car services will give you 30 minutes at a grocery store. Our neighbor has done it.

But I would look into that delivery service!! I am!

Upvote 0
We drive to Walt Disney World and used to go to a Publix Grocery Store nearby and purchase a few things at the beginning of our trip. But, once I heard about Garden Grocer, we started using them and have excellent service through their company. Grocery shopping is not on my top "things to do while at Walt Disney World" list so the delivery fee Garden Grocer charges is well worth it to me.

Upvote 0

mickeysshoes

I just saw this delivery service on here and wish we knew about it. We use to rent a car for the day on the way from the airport. I mean it wastes about 20 minutes. I learned that some car services will give you 30 minutes at a grocery store. Our neighbor has done it.

But I would look into that delivery service!! I am!

We use Quicksiver Car Service and yes they give you 30 free stop. Did not stop last year...flight was 5.5 hours delayed and we did not arrive until almost 11:30 PM and the stores they normal stop at were closed already...and we were tired. But the drives said he would find a all night quick mart if we had wanted..but we just wanted a BED!!! We will use the stop this year...water, beer and wine.

Upvote 0

allgar

We always have a car with us as well, it's one luxury we just can't go without and at only about $200 for 9 days it's worth it to us to avoid having to take buses to the parks or be "stuck" on resort.

So, being that we have a car with us, yes we like to pick up a little groceries. Not too much, like many have said, we've learned that you don't go through as much as you might think. After all, it is vacation, and it is Disney so funnel cakes, hot dogs and treats must be consumed.

What we do get: Bottled water (two cases), a few fruits and granola bars for breakfast, some crackers (Goldfish, yummy and they don't crush in the backpack), beef jerky, a bag of chips, a dozen beer and a bottle of wine. That's pretty much it.

Upvote 0

Wchutch

We normally drive down need to have a car. As for groceries we usually go to Wal Mart or one of the nearby groceries for our stay. I have never heard of GG. Where is it located in relation to WDW. We normally stay in the timeshares so we cook alot for usually a clan of 7-12 people. Saves alot of money in the long run. I would like to use Garden Grocers next time we go there. Any help would be grateful.

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

Personally, renting a car just to do groceries is a bit much. The rental cost will almost definitely be more than any delivery/handling charge from the shoppers, and probably end up costing more than if you bought food from the stores at WDW. If you had other needs, or were going to visit Universal or the like, then it may be worth it. Otherwise I can't see it being cost effective.

And to echo some of the PP's, think long and hard about what you will actually end up eating. I think it's better to under buy, and have to buy a few snacks at Disney prices, than it is to end up tossing out food that you ended up not eating.

I have never heard of GG. Where is it located in relation to WDW. We normally stay in the timeshares so we cook alot for usually a clan of 7-12 people. Saves alot of money in the long run. I would like to use Garden Grocers next time we go there. Any help would be grateful.

Check out their website. They don't have a physical location were you stop by to shop. You visit their site, select the food you want, and they bring it to you. Its a grocery delivery service. WeGoShop is a similar idea, but is more a personal shopper. Garden Grocer only sells what is on their website at the prices posted. WeGoShop will go to any grocery store you want (or multiples), and buy the brands and sizes you want, and will even use coupons if you provide them. You pay exactly what the receipt total is, plus the delivery/shopping fee. The tradeoff is that if you don't know the prices for an item in that area, it could end up being more than you budgeted for, whereas GardenGrocer you know in advance the cost. Some people prefer one over the other. Each have their tradeoffs.

Upvote 0

cathyy

I just wanted to say we used Garden Grocery last year and it was great. The food was at the resort when we arrived. Everything was nice and fresh. There was even a separate bag of all the cold stuff that we go used. My kids like yogurt, blueberries, cereal and milk, etc.
Also, we used Orlando Stroller rentals to rent a double stroller... just an FYI since you do have a younger child.

Upvote 0

stitch8834

To echo what others have said, always under buy. You will eat out more than you realise, I'm just too tired at the end of the day to do anything else. I always have a rental car, as I visit off disney areas, so usually go to publix after I check in. I only buy snacks and drinks.

Enjoy your trip :)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom