Busch vs. AK

SmithGett

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Hello. I am home watching the travel channel during my lunch between classes, the show on right now is "Busch Gardens Revealed". Well, the point of this post is this: From what I have seen on this show (I've never been to any Busch Gardens), it seems busch gardens is what AK wants to be, but isn't. Good rides, animals everywhere, etc.

So, what's the deal? Did Disney ripoff Busch Gardens? Is Busch Gardens better?

BG Rugger

Yes and no. Busch Gardens still operates under the "thrill ride montra" which is basically coasters surrounded by animals. Also, theres not as many animals in Busch Gardens as made out to be. I think AK has more if I'm not mistaken. AK is just like any other WDW park, it is about the experience and not about roller coasters. You also have to take into account Busch Gardens is considerably older thean AK so it has had ample time to expand and improve. I believeonce AK has had a few years to grow into its own it will be right up there with the other three WDW parks.

On the other hand, Busch Gardens is a really fun time. Theres one in Tampa, Florida and one in Williamsburgh, Virginia. I prefer the one in Virginia. Its usually cooler and is much better themed as the park is a quasi-world showcase as you go around different European countries such as England, Scotland and Germany. It has four coasters. Alpengeist, Loch Ness Monster, Big Bad Wolf, and Apollos Chariot. There are also other little attractions such as Escape from Pompei ( flume ride ) and a swinging boaty ride.

aimster

I've never been to AK, but I live 10 minutes from Busch Gardens and I love that place. If you like roller coasters, this is definitely the place for you. I could ride the Montu, Kumba and Gwazi all day. The walk-thru "Strengetti" area is pretty cool. You can get quite close with the lions and hyenas (thankfully a think glass wall separates you). I got nose to nose with a lioness once. And I remember just sitting watching the mail lion basking happily in the sun for 20 minutes before my friends had to drag me away (I love big cats). Plus the area where you can watch the hippos swim can be amusing. I remember one time the little hippo was playing with a turtle and the turtle seemed less than enthused (LOL!). The area where the apes/gorillas are is pretty cool too as it looks like a rainforest, complete with mist. Just the atmosphere alone makes me want to go in there (I'm not a huge ape/gorilla fan). Last year they closed the dolphin show and turned the theatre into a enclosed one where they show a Goosebumps book themed 4D movie.

Hopefully I'll visit AK in the near future, but until then I really can't compare, My parents have been and say it's pretty neat (they got to test ride Kalli River before it opened to the public). I just want to go and look at the tigers all day! :lol:

Bill

Account Suspended
To be quite honest, Bush Gardens in Tampa stinks. It's not a theme park at all. It's not very nice, it's like everything Disney isn't and doesn't want to be. AK is a totally, 100%, different experience then Busch Gardens.

civileng68

Account Suspended
well

well, the fact of the matter is, whether Ak is even comparable to Busch Gardens or not is beyond me, but, Disney does create things in competition with Universal and Busch Gardens. Downtown Disney was a complete competition with Universal's City walk and maybe AK is the competition for Busch Gardens. I'm not crazy about AK but, I think it's a good idea to be able to have something like the other parks, because it would be cool for Disney to have something they all have yet, Disney has stuff none of them do, the magic.

xfkirsten

From my standpoint, Busch Gardens is the better park of the two. Much more in the way of attractions, and most of all Busch Garden's education aspect kicks AK's up and down the block. The animal part of AK always seems like more of a selling point to me than any actual attempt at education, and I don't agree with that philiosophy. The animals often seem to take a backseat to other aspects of the park, such as the shows and now Expedition Everest. The amount they actually try to teach you about the animals is very minimal. Whereas when you go to Busch Gardens, education is a prime aspect of the park.

-Kirsten

pilka214

i think it depends on what you are looking for in a park. i prefer animal kingdom just because i prefer disney. but if you want some rollercoaster bg has some good ones. me and my friends went and it was great. but rhino ralley doesnt compare to kilamanjaro. ks is just more into the safari.... rhino ralley is short and not as much fun.... over all i prefer ak. cept bg has free beer yipee.
of course bg needs major refurbs everywhere. ak has been disguised. when you walk in you feel like you left florida. while bg you dont its more of a zoo while ak is nahtazu...lol...the animals are in little enclosures and such. so over all when you look at the big picture ak is better (i bellieve)

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
In my opinion, its like comparing a Six Flags to the Magic Kingdom. Animal Kingdom is one of the most incredibly detailed parks in the world, combined with an immersive safari experience. Busch Gardens has neither of those things.

Animal Kingdom is a real masterpeice, Busch Gardens is a nice collections of coasters with some animals sprinkled around.

As with any comparison, each park has its supporters and critics. I guess only the attendance numbers for each park can be used as a scientific comparison of pupularity, and in that case, AK is the winner, by a considerable margin.

civileng68

Account Suspended
well

well, as someone who has previously said that AK is boring, I have to say when Expedition Everest is completed and with up coming attractions to be built, it will be better than Busch Gardens by far, but at the current moment, it is a beautiful park but on not so crowded days, it's just a half day park in my opinion. That said, I say that realizing that I am 24 years old with no kids and wouldnt stay in the kid areas all day.

I do think it's boring now, but wait a few years, or just until E.E is completed.

civileng68

Account Suspended
Steve!

Originally posted by wdwmagic
In my opinion, its like comparing a Six Flags to the Magic Kingdom. Animal Kingdom is one of the most incredibly detailed parks in the world, combined with an immersive safari experience. Busch Gardens has neither of those things.

Animal Kingdom is a real masterpeice, Busch Gardens is a nice collections of coasters with some animals sprinkled around.

As with any comparison, each park has its supporters and critics. I guess only the attendance numbers for each park can be used as a scientific comparison of pupularity, and in that case, AK is the winner, by a considerable margin.

Steve, YOU ARE SO DIPLOMATIC! STOP IT! :lol:

SmithGett

Account Suspended
Original Poster
im so curious

this dicussion is fascinating to me. i really appreciate all of the feedback so far. my next question is this: How do the two parks ticket prices compare? if busch is better and cheaper, as some of you say it is, then why do we pay so much just for the disney name?

my humble opinion on the matter: bg has some interesting ideas and rides that could be really neat if implemented at AK. i only ask the questions i ask, not bc i want to bash AK or disney, but want to spur a discussion on such matters. i think itd be really cool if Exped. Everest could have live animals on it, like i had read somewhere that it might, like those at bg. i saw the rollercoasters passing over the animals and through their land and it made for some wonderful scenery! also, their train that goes all around the park, through the safari area, through all the different animal areas, etc. is really neat too! I love the train at MK so i think itd be really cool if they could extend the train at AK to run all around the park, even on the outskirts of the Kilimajaro Safari.

i dont know, just some thoughts.

speck76

I like both parks, and I prefer different things about each park.

Busch is much better for thrill rides, and it will continue to be even after EE opens (as busch is about to announce a new, next generation B&M dive machine rollercoaster, which will be the only one of its type in the US)

Rhino Rally (safari ride) at BG does not compare to KS at DAK.

The new Katanga show at BG is very nice.

The animal exhibits at BG allow closer viewing than at DAK, plus, more animals are on display (You can only see lions, elephants, giraffes, and rhinos on KS at DAK, nowhere else in the park.)

DAK has better theming...but BG has FREE BEER.

You can experience them both, and not feel like you are going to the same type of park.

Oh, and Aimster, have you been to the "Big Cat Zoo" in Tampa.

MKCP 1985

Re: well

Originally posted by civileng68
well, the fact of the matter is, whether Ak is even comparable to Busch Gardens or not is beyond me, but, Disney does create things in competition with Universal and Busch Gardens. Downtown Disney was a complete competition with Universal's City walk . . .
Actually Pleasure Island was built to compete with Rosie O'Grady's, a downtown Orlando entertainment district, and the shops of Downtown Disney have been around since the 1970s, formerly as Lake Buena Vista marketplace or some such name. I am sure City Walk was the last to open. But your point is well taken. When the Disney Co. sees someone else providing a service to its guests, it puts its Imagineers to work and makes sure to get its share of the market.

As far as Busch Gardens, it has been around a lot longer than DAK and is in some ways better. Its Hospitality House with free Anheuser Busch beer beats the heck out of Disney's refillable soda mugs! :lol: Its roller coasters are thrilling, and its animal exhibits are top rate, especially the hippos and the lions previously mentioned by aimster and speck. You have to appreciate the fact you can take the animals at BG at your own pace. I enjoyed the KS, but when the bus moves, the animals disappear in the rear view mirror. Gotta keep it moving, I know. The hippo pool at BG is really well done, with a glass viewing area of the hippos in the water. Lions are the king of the jungle, so to speak, and you can't really see the lions well on KS, while at BG, they are up close and personal, often separated only by the thick glass.

speck76

The scariest thing about the lions at BG is that twice I have seen the glass covered by plywood, and the glass behind it was all cracked...did the lions do this?

iluvstitch

Re: im so curious

Originally posted by SmithGett
this dicussion is fascinating to me. i really appreciate all of the feedback so far. my next question is this: How do the two parks ticket prices compare? if busch is better and cheaper, as some of you say it is, then why do we pay so much just for the disney name?

1 Day at Busch Gardens Tampa: $53.95

1 Day at Animal Kingdom: $54.75

So you don't "pay so much for the Disney name", Busch is 80 cents cheaper- I prefer the theming and detail at DAK. -Stephanie

celticdog

Originally posted by BG Rugger
On the other hand, Busch Gardens is a really fun time. Theres one in Tampa, Florida and one in Williamsburgh, Virginia. I prefer the one in Virginia. Its usually cooler and is much better themed as the park is a quasi-world showcase as you go around different European countries such as England, Scotland and Germany.

I'm guessing you've never been here in August. The heat and humidity are comparable to Florida's. Like you, i've also been to both Tampa and W'burg. W'burg is by far a much better park. For a non-Disney park, the theming is excellent. And the ticket price is fairly reasonable at $46.95. Plus as a Virginian, i can usually get an assortment of discount tickets.

pilka214

i have a gold passport for bg- for 5.99 a month (great deal huh)

i also have an ap for wdw- i don't know but much much more

pan11435

i have a gold passport for bg- for 5.99 a month (great deal huh)
i also have an ap for wdw- i don't know but much much more

Well my WDW AP cost 316.00;

$316.00
Divided by 12 months
=$26.3

$26.30
Divided by 4 parks
=$6.58

So as you can see it is only a difference of $0.59 a month. Which is not bad at all.

TimeTrip

I just wanted to throw my hat in the ring for BGW. Its an awesome park, with awesome rides and a nice homely feel. I wouldn't compare it with AK though since its a completely different kind of park. As for BGT v. AK, I'd have to say AK gets the nod if you're into animals, but BGT gets the nod if you like coasters.

speck76

On the lines of the annual pass costs, both Universal/IOA and BGT/SW have introduced and option to pay by the month (which I do for all 4) When I purchased my AP for WDW, it was $300 up front. I wonder why WDW has not allowed the pay-by-month option, esp with the high up front costs of the pass.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom