Bus driver shortages here to stay for at least the near future

NelsonRD

You’re depressed that people don’t want to be a bus driver for a living?

Yes, I am, Exactly. It is this 'want' instead of 'need' when it comes to making a living.
Sometimes we have to work a job that is not glamorous. You think people want to work cleaning septic tanks?
The reality of it is, people should be working. In NY everyplace I go has a help wanted sign. These jobs are unfilled because of the want, not the need of working.

Lilofan

I have a more negative opinion on this. I would conclude people do not 'want' to work, do not 'want' to be a bus driver, or have created a reckless history that prevents them from working as a bus driver, ie, DUIs, criminal history.

This is more depressing from an employment point of view to me, opposed to an economic one.
Also the ones who smoke that funny looking cigarette on their off time could deter them from being a bus driver since if the driver gets into an accident the person would be subjected to a drug test.

Touchdown

all that stuff costs money with zero direct profit on the ledger.

we know the problem there.

and before anyone says: “don’t we pay enough?!?”

nope...unfortunately.
Monitize the system, at least at the DS stop. Transport away from DS is free to all resort guests and APs, everyone else, $40 per person unless your ticket is comped by a restaurant at DS, or you paid for theme park parking (would probably need gates at SSR at the station nearest DS.)

Touchdown

The lack of desire for menial jobs is going to spur automation in the next century, the problem is, you take away all those jobs and there is not many jobs a high school graduate is going to qualify for.

Lilofan

The lack of desire for menial jobs is going to spur automation in the next century, the problem is, you take away all those jobs and there is not many jobs a high school graduate is going to qualify for.
If a bus driver job is menial then it is far from it. There are many immigrants working in that role and the income they make is far more than what they can earn in their home countries.

Touchdown

If a bus driver job is menial then it is far from it. There are many immigrants working in that role and the income they make is far more than what they can earn in their home countries.
Immigrants will fill a stop gap, and getting a little geopolitical, the reason we will continue to be the #1 economy in the world so long as we attract and let in young immigrants while other less desirable political systems watch their population grey, but it’s going to happen. Same with truckers, Tesla and others already have a working program. I get there is stress and a bus is much harder to drive than a car, but it’s something that can be automized and will.

Lilofan

Immigrants will fill a stop gap, and getting a little geopolitical, the reason we will continue to be the #1 economy in the world so long as we attract and let in young immigrants while other less desirable political systems watch their population grey, but it’s going to happen. Same with truckers, Tesla and others already have a working program. I get there is stress and a bus is much harder to drive than a car, but it’s something that can be automized and will.
In regards to truck driving automation, loading unloading cargo providing customer service, fixing a flat etc, automation won't cut it. Won't be happening much in this lifetime.

Touchdown

In regards to truck driving automation, loading unloading cargo providing customer service, fixing a flat etc, automation won't cut it. Won't be happening much in this lifetime.
Not sure how old you are, but I did say this century, which still 78.5 years left. I plan to be alive for the majority of it.

TrainsOfDisney

It seems like you prefer unemployeed people to stay home and not work, rather than consider being a bus driver.
I never said that. You seem to believe that all the potential bus drivers are sitting at home not working. My guess is that most laid off Disney bus drivers took their cdl and started driving for delivery services that have been doing record business post covid and need all the drivers they can get.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Rode an Academy Bus from the GF to Epcot. Seats were much more comfortable. Good luck getting an EVC or wheelchair or stroller in.

Also the digital sign boards at stops don’t reflect wait times for any non-Disney bus.

phillip9698

Yes, I am, Exactly. It is this 'want' instead of 'need' when it comes to making a living.
Sometimes we have to work a job that is not glamorous. You think people want to work cleaning septic tanks?
The reality of it is, people should be working. In NY everyplace I go has a help wanted sign. These jobs are unfilled because of the want, not the need of working.

This is a workers market right now. The jobs on the low end of the totem pole are going to remain vacant until the dust settles. People have the chance to look for the job with the best benefits and best pay right now and if your company isn't high on that list then they will have to wait or increase their offerings.

Lilofan

Not sure how old you are, but I did say this century, which still 78.5 years left. I plan to be alive for the majority of it.
That will be interesting for one talking to a robot to exchange insurance info? if an "automated" tractor trailer gets into a fender bender with a vehicle. The chances or pipe dreams of automated truck driving will happen after WDW builds a 5th gate. The truck driver shortages will be filled with ones who are willing try to work for those wages coming from diverse backgrounds which is nothing wrong about that.

NelsonRD

I never said that. You seem to believe that all the potential bus drivers are sitting at home not working. My guess is that most laid off Disney bus drivers took their cdl and started driving for delivery services that have been doing record business post covid and need all the drivers they can get.

No, I am referring to anybody sitting home and not working. I said I was depressed because there are able-body people who are not in the work force because they do not want to work, or have a history preventing them. The training to become a bus driver is available. The job is attainable. But like you said: "people don’t want to be a bus driver for a living"

If I was unemployed in the FL market with limited options, I would take advantage of the opportunity. Not because I would want to, but because I am self reliant enough to know I would need to. I am sorry, not all jobs pay 100k, and not working is not productive.

TrainsOfDisney

The February 2020 Florida unemployment rate was 3.3% vs. 4.7% February 2021.

I think the majority of people are either finding jobs elsewhere, or are being called back to their previous jobs.

MickeyMouse10

And use blow up dolls?

Oh yeah, that would be awesome. Either that or Johnnycab from "Total Recall".

51tMudxDsYL._AC_.jpg

NelsonRD

This is a workers market right now. The jobs on the low end of the totem pole are going to remain vacant until the dust settles. People have the chance to look for the job with the best benefits and best pay right now and if your company isn't high on that list then they will have to wait or increase their offerings.
I disagree. The jobs on the low end of the totem pole are going to remain vacant until the benefits of not working, no longer outweighs working.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom