Bus collision near Contemporary?

DisneysRedHead

When you have one person do the job of two or more people it's just not good. CMs get tired and are not able to function properly and make mistakes, I am a victim of this myself. I am not implying that this what happened in this current case by any means. Now granted the bus drivers still have to comply with the DOT rules of hours of operation...but when they are rushed to make numerous back to back stops because there are a lack of buses it just does not play out well. Disney needs to stop penny pinching and staff accordingly.

Agreed! I was thinking the exact same thing. There are just somethings Disney cannot afford to scrimp on and I hope after this safety becomes priority and not getting more bang for their buck.

That being said, when I go to Disney I'll still ride the buses and I'll still ride the monorail. Accidents happen, it just can't be helped. No one can be perfect and I won't live in fear of something that could just as easily happen with me driving my own car. (Which in fact I'm probably more likely to get into a crash!)

elisatonks

When you have one person do the job of two or more people it's just not good. CMs get tired and are not able to function properly and make mistakes, I am a victim of this myself. I am not implying that this what happened in this current case by any means. Now granted the bus drivers still have to comply with the DOT rules of hours of operation...but when they are rushed to make numerous back to back stops because there are a lack of buses it just does not play out well. Disney needs to stop penny pinching and staff accordingly.

Agreed. I think they are also short of bus drivers as i have noticed a couple of times now in the past month, while waiting for my hubby to finish work at closing time at DHS that non disney buses seem to be ferrying guests to and from hotels.

EPCOTPluto

I still plan to use the Disney Transport system, but I guess it's just being more cautious now.
Staying over for the July 4th weekend, our bus from EPCOT to ASR had to detour to Fort Wilderness, and a semi-circle to our resort thanks to the MK traffic leaving that night to be a mile or 4 in length. :eek: As we were driving that strip of road to Fort Wilderness, a car in front of the bus was driving erratically, driving off the side of the road.
Several minutes later, the bus brakes suddenly, and jolted everyone half-sleeping forward. No one was injured, but the driver most likely stopped for no reason whatsoever. Even though there was enough space between the car and the other car ahead.
We would never know what happened next, since the driver turned to Fort Wilderness, but I hope police caught him. :mad: Nothing serious, yet it could've been more worse already on a night with terrible traffic.

jakeman

Agreed! I was thinking the exact same thing. There are just somethings Disney cannot afford to scrimp on and I hope after this safety becomes priority and not getting more bang for their buck.

That being said, when I go to Disney I'll still ride the buses and I'll still ride the monorail. Accidents happen, it just can't be helped. No one can be perfect and I won't live in fear of something that could just as easily happen with me driving my own car. (Which in fact I'm probably more likely to get into a crash!)

Agreed. I think they are also short of bus drivers as i have noticed a couple of times now in the past month, while waiting for my hubby to finish work at closing time at DHS that non disney buses seem to be ferrying guests to and from hotels.

Yup...I have noticed the same thing. Disney would rather make the guest sit and wait and then cram them into buses instead of employing more drivers to get the job done smoothly. It always comes down to the all mighty dollar.

So you guys must have information that driver fatigue and poor staff were the cause of this accident then, correct?

Bus Crash

Just saw WESH news it was careless driving by driver #1 and he was ticketed for careless driving. Sure hope this turn of events ends soon :(

jakeman

You obviously failed to read my entire post.
If you are not implying that has something to do with the accident then what is your point?

Just because I say I'm not typing on a keyboard doesn't mean that I'm not really typing on a keyboard.

hrcollectibles

I wonder how many of those passengers who were injured were forced to stand on the bus? When I was at WDW in May and the buses were standing room only, I wondered if it was perhaps the safest idea instead of having simply more seats.

On my week long trip, I stood twice (when there weren't any empty buses nearby and waiting would be very late at night) and was a little worried about the what ifs of an accident occurring.

A total of 50 people were on the buses. Twelve people were taken to four different hospitals -- Celebration, Dr. Phillips, Health Central and a hospital in Kissimmee -- with minor injuries.

But is there room for more seats? I know.. Why not use double decker buses. It appears that 50 people were on the buses I assume that all the passengers were seated.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
http://www.cfnews13.com/News/Local/2009/7/16/buses_collide_at_disney_injuries_reported.html

LAKE BUENA VISTA -- Two Disney buses have crashed at Walt Disney World, injuring several people.

The Florida Highway Patrol said the accident occured around 2:40 p.m. Thursday.

Two buses were traveling on World Drive when the lanes merged.

The bus in front slowed down to merge and was rear-ended by the other bus.

The driver of the second bus faces charges.

A total of 50 people were on the buses. Twelve people were taken to four different hospitals -- Celebration, Dr. Phillips, Health Central and a hospital in Kissimmee -- with minor injuries.

What charges? Yes, he rear ended another bus, but what are the charges being brought against him?

jakeman

I was speaking in general from my experience with the company. You decided to dissect my words to support your argument.
I have no arguement here. I simply asked a question.

So unless you were trying to sway the discussion to a predetermined conclusion then what was the point of your post?

hardcard

Two completely unrelated accidents within two weeks, one causing a fatality, another causing injuries and both endangering guests. But under the umbrella of transportation, like it or not this is going to put a lot of pressure on Disney to explain what the heck is going on with their management of transportation operations and its operators. Hopefully everyone is okay. But nobody is going to be okay at Disney management. One time was a freak accident, but a second time so soon after? Even rational, non panicking people are going to start doubting Disney's transportation management.

technically, the buses have had multiple issues this year, including a fatal accident a few months ago....

jakeman

You really don't read my entire posts, do you? Considdering the driver was ticketed with careless driving...fatigue could play a major role it that. Stop picking apart my posts and understand that I am speaking in general terms and not about this specific incident.
What I'm pointing out is you don't know that. Why can't you and others around here just wait for something official?

Why must you and others here diagnose the cause and assign blame literally within minutes of it being reported?

For all you know he was attacked by muppets.

I'm done with this. Whether you admit it or not you knew what you were saying and what the implication was.

Enjoy another thread of needless finger pointing while qualified people find out what really happened.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
What I'm pointing out is you don't know that. Why can't you and others around here just wait for something official?

Why must you and others here diagnose the cause and assign blame literally within minutes of it being reported?

For all you know he was attacked by muppets.

I'm done with this. Whether you admit it or not you knew what you were saying and what the implication was.

Enjoy another thread of needless finger pointing while qualified people find out what really happened.

It called discussion. That's what these forums are based upon.

If we didn't discuss - it would be pretty boring.

For example:
OP said:
Two buses collided.

Poster #1 said:

Poster # 2 said:
that's sad.

Poster #3: said:

EPCOT Explorer

I think that the transportation issue at WDW has hit a national crisis level. We need a Czar appointed and congressional hearings asap. Maybe even a bailout or something. :rolleyes:

Oh, hush, you!:mad::lol:;)

At least it's nothing major...My hear skipped a beat when I saw this. My only thought was "Not another one...":(:eek:

jmvd20

After reading the monorail threads and then the beggining of this thread I had lost faith in our society...

Then I read this:

I think that the transportation issue at WDW has hit a national crisis level. We need a Czar appointed and congressional hearings asap. Maybe even a bailout or something.

And realized perhaps there is still hope!

jmvd20

Oh, hush, you!:mad::lol:;)

At least it's nothing major...My hear skipped a beat when I saw this. My only thought was "Not another one...":(:eek:

Nothing major??? How can you say that. This incident is obviously proof that WDW management is trying to rule the world through sacrificing safety and quality whenever and wherever possible.

jakeman

It called discussion. That's what these forums are based upon.

If we didn't discuss - it would be pretty boring.

For example:
Discussion is one thing. Factless finger pointing is another.

Wait...I said I wouldn't be back here...dang it! :p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom