Bus accident by Animal Kingdom.

s8film40

It's quite easy to experience what's called micro-sleep which can last a fraction of a second to several seconds. It can happen at any time of the day when one is over tired. We've all likely experienced it with that quick nod off and then a sudden jolting back to awareness experience.

We don't know whether that was it and we'll see if it ever comes out but just explaining that you can fall asleep suddenly at any time of day. A few seconds of micro-sleep at the wrong moment would be enough for this accident to occur.
Yeah I don't discount that possibility at all. Not to mention being exhausted walking in the heat of a park all day and of course we don't know any additional circumstances. For example had she worked overnight and took her family to the park in the morning this could suddenly make a lot more sense. The only thing for me that doesn't add up is that this would happen so soon after getting in the car and heading out. Generally those first few moments in the car your still fairly alert and talking about what happened at the park. Anything is possible though we'll just have to wait to see I guess.

Polydweller

Yeah I don't discount that possibility at all. Not to mention being exhausted walking in the heat of a park all day and of course we don't know any additional circumstances. For example had she worked overnight and took her family to the park in the morning this could suddenly make a lot more sense. The only thing for me that doesn't add up is that this would happen so soon after getting in the car and heading out. Generally those first few moments in the car your still fairly alert and talking about what happened at the park. Anything is possible though we'll just have to wait to see I guess.
Micro-sleep was one of those things I studied in the era I worked as a neuropsychologist. The only factor that matters is how tired/exhausted a person is. A person can have a half second micro-sleep and not even be aware of it. Many swear they were entirely awake and aware when they weren't. A 5-30 second micro-sleep is all it would take for the car to drift. So, yes you can feel alert when you first get into the car and yet are actually experiencing micro-sleeps.

That's all conjecture at this point but was the kind of thing I was asked to investigate. We will likely never know for sure because in my experience the cases were almost always reported as falling asleep at the wheel (which it is in a sense) but is actually the more complicated micro-sleep affect.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom