Bus accident by Animal Kingdom.

halltd

Per FHP..... The driver fell asleep at the wheel. Charges pending.

The family spent all day at DAK and was heading south, driver fell asleep at the wheel and drifted into the northbound lane, hitting the bus head on.

Edit: link-> http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...y-bus-crash-driver-asleep-20160515-story.html
It's weird that the article says the child told the family a different story. I can't even imagine being 7 and having to go through that and tell about it though.

halltd

The Aunt claims that is what the seven-year-old said. I'm quite skeptical of those claims.
Still something weird going on. Why would the aunt lie? And why did the OS need to bring up all the other legal issues if it was just an unfortunate accident?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The data recorder from the vehicle will tell the tale, Yes most modern vehicles as part of the airbag system have a data recorder which records a few minutes of control inputs (speed, steering inputs, brakes engine status and control status) this is a circular buffer which is erased repeatedly UNLESS the airbags deploy if they do the information is saved forever.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-technology/car-black-box-recorders-capture-crash-data.html

That said it's a tragedy regardless.

s8film40

I find it hard to imagine how someone could fall asleep in this situation. It was in the evening, not late at night. They would have just left the park and only been in the car a few minutes. Now had this been on the highway when they were halfway home I could kind of see it. Perhaps if she was on some medication that made her drowsy or some other outside influence that might explain it.

PhotoDave219

The data recorder from the vehicle will tell the tale, Yes most modern vehicles as part of the airbag system have a data recorder which records a few minutes of control inputs (speed, steering inputs, brakes engine status and control status) this is a circular buffer which is erased repeatedly UNLESS the airbags deploy if they do the information is saved forever.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-technology/car-black-box-recorders-capture-crash-data.html

That said it's a tragedy regardless.

..... assuming it didnt burn up.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It really is just the one curve that's the issue. Mind you it's tight, non-banked, blind, and not designed for the kind of traffic that uses it.

I have to drive Sherberth at least twice a week during busy times and it's a disaster. With two lanes coming off property merging into one right at the curve it's like a constant game of "chicken" with people in the outside lane trying to cut in at the last possible second. Even though it's the shortest/fastest way for me to go a certain way I'll take a longer route to avoid it.

That curve is not safe over 25 MPH and that's a major route in and out of the AK area, I've always wondered why it's never been re-engineered.

Victor Kelly

Can we stop supposing until the dang report comes out and charges are either filed or not? Seriously its like watching Fox or CNN. Just like the whole Bongos incident.

Goofyernmost

Still something weird going on. Why would the aunt lie? And why did the OS need to bring up all the other legal issues if it was just an unfortunate accident?
One is connected to the other. The other legal issues which included motor vehicle violations would be a reason to lie (not an excuse.) With that many people being taken to the hospital a lot of things happen. Drug tests of the bus driver and I would assume the driver of the other vehicle as well. Like I said, accident investigations are actually quite a science, they would be able to figure out what happened or if not exactly why, they will know the who as far as liability is concerned.

I remember a major accident with one of our buses where the driver claimed that the brakes didn't work. The investigation proved that they did indeed work, but, they were never applied. The driver had fallen asleep at the wheel. Fortunately, there were no physical injuries, but a lot of property damage. The incident created a situation where a 2 X 4 came though the window and missed the drivers forehead by about 2 inches. Most buses these days have camera on board that record what is going on in the inside of bus as well as front facing cameras. It's not to tough to determine what happened with a transit bus.

Last edited:

Polydweller

I find it hard to imagine how someone could fall asleep in this situation. It was in the evening, not late at night. They would have just left the park and only been in the car a few minutes. Now had this been on the highway when they were halfway home I could kind of see it. Perhaps if she was on some medication that made her drowsy or some other outside influence that might explain it.
It's quite easy to experience what's called micro-sleep which can last a fraction of a second to several seconds. It can happen at any time of the day when one is over tired. We've all likely experienced it with that quick nod off and then a sudden jolting back to awareness experience.

We don't know whether that was it and we'll see if it ever comes out but just explaining that you can fall asleep suddenly at any time of day. A few seconds of micro-sleep at the wrong moment would be enough for this accident to occur.

s8film40

Can we stop supposing until the dang report comes out and charges are either filed or not? Seriously its like watching Fox or CNN. Just like the whole Bongos incident.

What is the bongos incident?
It's a really poor analogy. Victor Kelly is I think trying to say that while discussing this we are jumping to conclusions. There was a fight at Bongos and some loud noises, people assumed there was a gun and incited panic. This really has nothing to do with whats going on here. First of all this incident is already over and we are discussing it after the fact. Secondly no one here has jumped to any conclusions, just expressed some confusion on how this occurred and a desire to see what information ends up coming to light through the investigation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom