Buh-bye Innoventions "Road to Tomorrow"!

mikeymouse

Bout time. The Road to Tomorrow really just stunk after the Millenium celebration. Any idea on whats going to happen now?

I will miss the towers tho. They were always one of my most favorite things about Innoventions, the awsome signage.

Yea, I always liked when they went into the strobe mode.

hrcollectibles

As a child I fondly remember CommuniCore. I have memories of a show where you could see through a large window lot's of computers that supposedly helped operate Epcot with people working around them. At the same time a projection of a little animated character bounced around the room while explaining what went on. I'm talking a long time ago here folk's so I may be slightly off, perhaps Marni or somebody could verify?

Anyway I remember being amazed at the hustle and bustle, it reminded me of the stock exchange. Since those days it just seems less to it now. Maybe now we're just all that used to technology with home computers etc that there's really not that much exciting stuff to showcase anymore, who knows? I must say I always send a photo post card from there, that's still fun and I think the cast members are as great and work as hard as ever before. It's just IMHO not what CommuniCore was, here's hoping for a better change anyway.

I am glad I am not the only one who remembers this. I loved that as a kid

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
About the "new" Innoventions signs..

Those have always been there at the central entraces to East/West. They literally are just more visible now. The perimeter (near the rides) entrances currently have nothing, and probably wont until the real "new" signage goes in.

DisneyMusician2

Until a new concept goes in, I am holding an opinion off. I just hope it is something with a cohesive concept, rather than the more piecemeal work WDI has done of late.

Enigma

Account Suspended
what is "The House of Innoventions" is that the new name of the pavillion?

I wish they would bring back the name Comunicore and make it a fun, engaging, more cohesive theme again with windows that let natural light come in.

Right now Innoventions looks like the poor man's electronic entertanment expo

Horizons1

what is "The House of Innoventions" is that the new name of the pavillion?

Its an exhibit in Innoventions East, where you go into a "house" that has the newest technology. It goes from the kitchen to the bathroom to the backyard and so on.

CrashNet

The house will be going down partly for general refurbishment but mostly to replace many of the products inside. Some require construction to remove and replace, followed by the fixing of lighting, cue timers, rewriting and approval of the new script, and retraining CMs with the new equipment, script, etc.

gsimpson

computer central

Like many I liked the computer central show. From what I understand most of the waist high cabinets were not really part of the computer systems but were the "bin loop" machines that played all the hundreds of sound tracks around Epcot. Apparently they actually had to wax the tapes every so often, in addition to them occasionally breaking and having to be replaced, so it made good economic sense to have them all together. As they moved all the sound to digital, stored in eprom or eeprom, there was no longer any reason to use the bin loop machines and they were phased out and more and more of the "computer" moved out to the actual attractions.

disneylandkid

Account Suspended
Why isn't there an Al Lutz for Walt Disney World who can spill the beans on new things coming to the Parks, or new concepts taking shape at Imagineering for future additions?

If this was a project for Disneyland, the scoop on it would have been leaked by Al Lutz three months before construction started or before Disney admitted to it in a press release.

It amazes me that they are doing major construction at Epcot, and very possibly changing a major theme for the area/attraction, and yet no one seems to know anything about it. There's just a lot of speculation and analyzing of snapshots taken by park visitors. Where are the solid rumors and leaked info from the Team Disney Orlando building? :confused:

just a question , how come on this site you people treat Al lutz word as gospel, but Jim hill is some evil tabloid writer?

pay attention and they do the same kind of honest reporting.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
just a question , how come on this site you people treat Al lutz word as gospel, but Jim hill is some evil tabloid writer?

pay attention and they do the same kind of honest reporting.
Huh? Believe me, there are members here who put Al and Jim in the same boat. Both ways.

PeeplMoovr

Nice photo...

The future's all about simplicity in design. Just ask Apple. It was time for those towers to go.

Agreed. And interestingly (and conveniently) enough, EPCOT Center's original design is beautiful in its simplicity. Tear down the towers, the awful netting above that area around the EPCOT pin station, and kill the wand. Let EPCOT breathe again.

Bratstarman

Agreed. And interestingly (and conveniently) enough, EPCOT Center's original design is beautiful in its simplicity. Tear down the towers, the awful netting above that area around the EPCOT pin station, and kill the wand. Let EPCOT breathe again.

The spinning towers and the netting were both installed for good reasons. The former was to add some life and motion to the plaza area.

In the "old days" the plaza was devoid of anyting moving, and honestly it seemed pretty dull. The kinetic sculptures added some life.

The netting was added for a much mor practical reason. In the heat of the summer sun, the plaza was a real scorcher. The main reasoon for the netting is to provide some degree of sun blockage.

I'm not saying either concept is great, but there was some reasonable thinking back when they were added.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom