• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Trip Report Buffalo, Bugs, and Beer - A lostpro9het Surf 'n' Turf report.

lostpro9het

Original Poster
Hubby and I spent a while in Serenity Bay and didn't even think about going wildlife searching!!! Guess I have to make sure we check it out next year! Are starfish weird to pick up? I love your TR. It makes me wish I had taken more photos of our stay on the Dream.
It's amazing what you can find at SB when you look. The starfish are easy to pick up but surprisingly heavy for their size. On previous trips we've found some starfish that were over a foot in diameter. Another good place to see wildlife is the snorkeling area at the family beach.

lostpro9het

Original Poster
Advertisement
Thursday May 16th, Day at sea, cont.

So lunchtime was approaching and I decided to take a walk towards Cabanas to see what I was in the mood for.
IMG_6634.JPG
IMG_6635.JPG
IMG_6636.JPG
IMG_6637.JPG
IMG_6638.JPG

The family pool was rather lite
IMG_6640.JPG

lostpro9het

Original Poster

We spent a few more hours at the pool after lunch before deciding to head back to the room to clean up before some games in 687. Upon returning to the room we were greeted by the dreaded luggage tags. These tags are akin to the Tragical Express hanger you get at WDW and are a sign that the fun is about to end. These tags represent a staging area at port where you may pick up your luggage as you disembark if you choose to have DCL handle your bags for you.
IMG_6659.JPG

We sat on the veranda for a bit and it seemed we were out running some dark weather but where were heading was all clear.
IMG_6660.JPG
IMG_6661.JPG
IMG_6662.JPG
IMG_6663.JPG

We cleaned up and made for 687 for a couple hours of fun time with #tonyfromspain.
IMG_6664.JPG

lostpro9het

Original Poster

We settled in at 687 and ordered some drinks. I went with a Kentucky Bourbon Ale and the DW went with an espresso.
IMG_6666.JPG
IMG_6667.JPG
IMG_6668.JPG
IMG_6669.JPG

First game up today was Disney Park Trivia. Wow, this was tough. We had our butts handed to us by some Disney geniuses in the room.
IMG_6670.JPG

We didn't dwell on our poor performance for long. The next activity was a drawing seminar with #tonyfromspain.
IMG_6672.JPG

He wouldn't tell us what we were drawing until we got closer to finishing it. Honestly, since I've never seen PatF, I had no idea what we were drawing even after finishing! Clearly Tony had some practice and I followed along like preschooler, and that may be an insult to preschoolers.
IMG_6675.JPG
IMG_6676.JPG
IMG_6677.JPG

The next round of activity was the TV Trivia Challenge. This we excelled at but came up 1 point short of taking the crown.
IMG_6678.JPG

Dave Ber

Wednesday May 15th, Castaway Cay, cont.

Not deterred by some ominous clouds we continued to forage for sea life and struck some conch gold. This guy blended in so well with the sand I think we may have walked by him a few times.
View attachment 396560
View attachment 396561
View attachment 396562
View attachment 396563
View attachment 396564

Once we realized how well they were camouflaged finding more was easy.
View attachment 396565
View attachment 396566
View attachment 396567
View attachment 396568
Do you get to keep the sand dollars or conch shells? Or is it more of a reserve where you can look and put back?

lostpro9het

Original Poster
Do you get to keep the sand dollars or conch shells? Or is it more of a reserve where you can look and put back?
We're strictly catch and release. DCL asks that no shells, dormant or inhabited, leave the island. I'm sure some folks sneak some on board but that ain't our scene. We just like the fun of finding them.

I would imagine the wildlife stays put because they are living creatures, and they would stink up the place on the way home. ;)
Then there's that.🤢

lostpro9het

Original Poster

So after our drawing class we made our way to the D Lounge for a first for me, and about a third for my DW.
IMG_6679.JPG

Anyone Can Cook is a complimentary seminar lead by one of the chefs from Remy. The chef goes through the process of preparing a particular dish then we all get to eat it! This can be a great thing if the food is in your wheelhouse. Otherwise, its a chance for free wine. Before the seminar started I had to find a restroom and ended up walking by the atrium and passed this:
IMG_6680.JPG
IMG_6681.JPG

Jack-Jack's Incredible Diaper Dash was just finishing up and apparently it was an exciting finish as the whole crowd really erupted at the end.

Back at the D Lounge the Remy chef was getting started.
IMG_6682.JPG

Today's dish was Lobster Ravioli paired with a white wine. Prophet don't eat the seafood so my bride was getting a double portion today. The wine was decent. It was semi sweet and slightly chilled.
IMG_6683.JPG
IMG_6684.JPG

imahistorygeek

3 things:

Anyone can cook - The lobster ravioli looks suspiciously like machine-made ravioli. It had a strong lobster flavor and by the time it was ready to be served it was cold. I didn't care for the food, but I really liked to see how it was prepared.The wine was refreshing. I'm really branching out into the whites. If you have some pinot grigio or pinot gris recommendations, let me know.

Vanellope's - I'm on the fence with this one. The ice cream is fine, but I think if I just want chocolate, I should stick to the soft serve. Nothing about the chocolate at V's blew me away. The mint chocolate chip was not for me. I'm not into "fancy" ice cream. :) It's a very cute place and certainly draws the eye.

Seafood station in Cabana's - Some of you may remember the Wendy's Superbar back in the day. It was a popular all-you-can-eat buffet of different types of foods at Wendy's. I'm talking spaghetti, burritos, seafood salad, regular salad and I'm a big fan of clean up your mess if you drop something. Don't be the person that just leaves the food on the bar. I feel for the crew member that has to clean that up. I had to clean up the Superbar and murder was on my mind about 99% of the time. With that said, I really like the peel and eat shrimp. I've not tried the crab (Jonas?) claw. Should I?

Rista1313

Seafood station in Cabana's - Some of you may remember the Wendy's Superbar back in the day. It was a popular all-you-can-eat buffet of different types of foods at Wendy's. I'm talking spaghetti, burritos, seafood salad, regular salad and I'm a big fan of clean up your mess if you drop something. Don't be the person that just leaves the food on the bar. I feel for the crew member that has to clean that up. I had to clean up the Superbar and murder was on my mind about 99% of the time. With that said, I really like the peel and eat shrimp. I've not tried the crab (Jonas?) claw. Should I?
Wow... that was really a stretch to my memory recall.... I remember the super bar... and I remember spaghetti, but not seafood... why in the world did Wendy's have that anyway? They didn't even serve spaghetti!

imahistorygeek

Wow... that was really a stretch to my memory recall.... I remember the super bar... and I remember spaghetti, but not seafood... why in the world did Wendy's have that anyway? They didn't even serve spaghetti!
The seafood salad was faux crab, the vegetable mix used in the chili, and a tartar sauce like mix. It smelled disgusting. People LOVED it. The Superbar also served bean burritos along with chips and taco meat.

Superbar Commercial

lostpro9het

Original Poster

So after ice cream we made for the theatre for the BatB stage show. I brought along another exchange pull with me. My Untappd notes read JDUBS Milk Chocolate Porter, 3.25/5, tastes more like tootsie roll than chocolate.
IMG_6690.JPG
IMG_6692.JPG

The show was excellent as always. The entertainment on the ships are always enjoyable. It was also cool seeing our table mate's kiddo perform for the first time. After the show we made our way back to 687 for 2000's music trivia. Turns out we're pretty terrible at 2000's trivia as the millennials in the room kicked our tails. I did get to enjoy a La Fin during our embarrassing performance. I first got to enjoy the La Fin at HS back when the Brown Derby Lounge was selling them, sadly they no longer do.
IMG_6693.JPG
IMG_6694.JPG
IMG_6695.JPG

Top Bottom