"Budget Cuts" - Now Showing at Disney's Hollywood Studios

Chef Mickey

So now we're criticizing them for actually getting moving on a project? (And no I don't agree they should have waited, but I do think it should have been a new build and GMR shouldn't have closed but what's done is done).

This thread ... lol
No...I'm criticizing the closure of GMR, particularly this early as other offerings at the park are closed.

I've also been critical of closing the GMR at all. We could have the new Mickey ride AND a refresh of a park icon in TGMR.

Expansion...what a concept.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The thing is that if someone has never been there unlike many of us that pick and choose what they are going to see. They can make a day out of it. The shows, the rides the restaurants, Fantasia show. All can make a day out of it. Tot, RnRC, Muppets, Indy, TSM, Star Tours, the street shows that still exist. Whatever, the reason if they pay $100.00 for the day, they know something about the park and have a target of "must see's" in mind. I don't believe that someone that decides to go for just one day hasn't done some kind of questioning. Therefore, I also don't believe that there are very many single day tickets sold at DHS.
Maybe so, but not everyone visits WDW every year or even frequently. I'm going back in November with my brother and his family. He hasn't been to WDW since the mid-nineties and he was asking if the backstage tour was still around. He could have looked things up on-line pretty easily but if he was in Orlando for a day and decided to randomly visit a park he would never have suspected that DHS is in the shape it's in now. I think it probably happens more than you suspect.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Two new rides open in seven to eight months, maybe even sooner.

We've been watching the construction of TSL and both SWLs and there is no slippage visible. In fact, all evidence points to TSL being ahead of schedule.

There is nothing to suggest that there will slippage except for the inextinguishable hatred you hold for Disney and post about obsessively on a Disney fan site.

Yeah a kiddie coaster that anywhere else other than Disney would have taken 6-8 months to get online is at what 2-1/2 years so far...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
But if work on M&MR didn't start until then, then it will not have been open in time for the SW:GE opening. With huge crowds in the park and hours wait to get into SWGE, people would have been just as angry that they waited too long to start work on M&MR since it wouldn't be open to soak up the crowds.

Also, it was in increasingly worse shape and they certainly weren't going to spend money to fix anything that breaks. Then Disney would have been vilified for offering such a broken experience.

DIYDDIYD

Yet the reality is Disney probably will not even start work on the Mickey ride for another 6-12 months and thats why this is a budget cut.

Did no one even notice the suddenness of the closure or the odd timing.

Why thats right we are coming up on the end of a fiscal year. And it looks like DHS and EPCOT gotta 'make the numbers work' by closing expensive to operate rides.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
No...I'm criticizing the closure of GMR, particularly this early as other offerings at the park are closed.

I've also been critical of closing the GMR at all. We could have the new Mickey ride AND a refresh of a park icon in TGMR.

Operating Margin for WDW needs to expand and thats the ONLY expansion which matters to TDO and Burbank

Its ironic that as the crowds get larger and larger the capacity of the parks is in a rapid decline with the new rides scheduled to come online in the next 2-5 years will not even be able to match much less add to the guests per hour the closed attractions handled.

Movielover

Man this thread is so crazy they have to start handing out tin foil hats for people who want to post reply's.

weirdalfoil_2322.jpg

Kman101

And I get that. I agree they should be expanding and not replacing. I've said it all along. Complaining about it does nothing. GMR is closed. It is what it is.

Kman101

Man this thread is so crazy they have to start handing out tin foil hats for people who want to post reply's.

weirdalfoil_2322.jpg

Only one person in the thread I imagine would wear a tinfoil hat and he likes to rile people up and this just keeps feeding into that. Who makes up things as he goes along.

Look, everyone, they SHOULD have kept GMR open until Toy Story Land opens. But they wanted the ride open by 2019. They get criticized for everything they do. Some of you need other things to worry about than OMD closing a couple hours early.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Yeah a kiddie coaster that anywhere else other than Disney would have taken 6-8 months to get online is at what 2-1/2 years so far...

From groundbreaking to opening, it will indeed take just about 2 years for Toy Story Land. But that includes demolition of an established real back stage and a reconfiguration of buildings. And it also includes putting those kiddie rides in a fully themed and immersive land. TSL will be a fully built land with two new rides in less time than Universal took to build:
  • Hogsmeade, which was one new ride and a light retheming of two coasters
  • Diagon Alley, which was two new rides
  • and less time than to build one ride: Kong
So, here we have proof of your unmitigated Disney-hate. You ignore TSL in your DSH diatribe and when pointed out, you try to spin it as another fail on Disney to do things in a timely fashion, when in fact, Disney is just tearing through this in record time.

Leave this forum. You provide no constructive participation.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Yet the reality is Disney probably will not even start work on the Mickey ride for another 6-12 months and thats why this is a budget cut.

Did no one even notice the suddenness of the closure or the odd timing.

Why thats right we are coming up on the end of a fiscal year. And it looks like DHS and EPCOT gotta 'make the numbers work' by closing expensive to operate rides.

You don't know that they won't start on the Mickey ride for 6-12 months. You state a guess like it is a fact ("here's a guess, and thus a conclusion of fact"). All part of your constant lying.

The suddenness of the closing has been explained on these forums many times. But go ahead and present it as a "mystery" to try to spin something nefarious on the part of Disney. Again, this is part of your anti-Disney agenda.

You haven't been to Disney in years and yet you post like you go constantly. You hate Disney and post obsessively in this Disney fan forums. You provide nothing constructive to these forums.

Kman101

Let's all just close up shop and not discuss anything on the Disney discussion forum. Every new thread can be, "It is what it is." Next.

I'm sorry it came across that way. But the hand wringing is a bit much. We all know they should have waited. We all know they should have built Runaway Railway somewhere else.

Chef Mickey

The thing is that if someone has never been there unlike many of us that pick and choose what they are going to see. They can make a day out of it. The shows, the rides the restaurants, Fantasia show. All can make a day out of it. Tot, RnRC, Muppets, Indy, TSM, Star Tours, the street shows that still exist. Whatever, the reason if they pay $100.00 for the day, they know something about the park and have a target of "must see's" in mind. I don't believe that someone that decides to go for just one day hasn't done some kind of questioning. Therefore, I also don't believe that there are very many single day tickets sold at DHS.
I've gotta see this Fantasia Show.

Chef Mickey

I'm sorry it came across that way. But the hand wringing is a bit much. We all know they should have waited. We all know they should have built Runaway Railway somewhere else.
Meh, I don't agree with the sentiment of being overwhelmingly disappointed. There are many people who are "glad" to see a dying attraction go and be refreshed with a new ride.

What they don't realize is it's Disney's fault for not investing meaningfully in the ride for 30 years and the justification for a new attraction shouldn't be the mismanagement of an old one.

Kman101

Meh, I don't agree with the sentiment of being overwhelmingly disappointed. There are many people who are "glad" to see a dying attraction go and be refreshed with a new ride.

What they don't realize is it's Disney's fault for not investing meaningfully in the ride for 30 years and the justification for a new attraction shouldn't be the mismanagement of an old one.

Well, everyone has different feelings and I can understand someone thinking it's outdated. I don't agree that the ride was crap and needed to go though. I'm really very much upset that GMR is gone but for me I'm trying not to dwell on it because I just get more annoyed and angry than I should be. But that's me. We all deal with things different. And the sad thing is we probably wouldn't be in the situation of losing classic attractions if they didn't stagnate for so long. But here we are :(

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Those all had a massive amount of building not just building a ride or two. Diagon Alley isn't just two rides it's a whole experience for Potter fans. You also left out the train that goes between the two Potter areas which is kind of cool. Thrilling ? No. I'm sure the Potter fans love it. I'm not not hat big of a Potter fan but I do appreciate what Universal has done there. Those rides weren't off the shelf either. TSL is off the shelf stuff.

You know Dueling Dragons is being replaced? That's why they just did a light retheming of that ride.

Surprised you didn't bring up Volcano Bay which hasn't had a smooth opening for sure. Whole water park quickly built and apparently not finished for opening. I know VB is already working on an expansion for that park. Not sure if everything is running right at the moment.

Right to all of that. My point was to refute someone saying that taking two years for two rides plus a whole new themed area was way too long, when, in fact, it's pretty much normal.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom