Brits Beware: XL goes bust.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Website has already gone, replaced with an administrators notice.
Yet Virgin are reporting one of their best ever years :shrug:

dazzer68

Awful news for everyone, staff and customers.
hope everyone can get to where they want to go.
My sister was one of them but arent flying until may next year.
so hopefully all sorted by then.

RogueHabit

Nice to see that some airlines are already jumping on the profiteering bandwagon.

U.S. Airways DOUBLE flight cost for flights to Florida according to a report on the BBC.

A flight that was £350.00 yesterday is now £700.00....

DicksonGR

Well my little brother is in Florida with his friends and were due to fly back with XL on Monday. Having done some research though, luckily they should be fine. Because they booked through Travel City Direct, the CAA will arrange flights home at no charge because TCD were ATOL protected. If they had booked directly with XL, they would be stranded!

Think I'll look more closely for that ATOL symbol the next time I book a holiday!

EdinburghTink

Hi, we are going tomorrow, our flight company cancelled on us last weekend and luckily i was able to get BA flights and saved money (£250) on original ones. I believe they have a sale on until 23rd September. Hope it helps someone x

Brewer

We are coming on the 2nd October.

Managed to book flights through Virgin for the day before for £483.

BA have some quite good deals too if you are looking.

Disneychild92

if im honest i dont know how xl were managing it cuz the last few times i've been i went with travel city direct and every time they were flying there with a less than half full plane. anyway good luck to everybody who is planning to get over there and all the people over there :D

DicksonGR

if im honest i dont know how xl were managing it cuz the last few times i've been i went with travel city direct and every time they were flying there with a less than half full plane. anyway good luck to everybody who is planning to get over there and all the people over there :D

To be honest the planes were always full when I was on them. I really liked Travel City Direct. They were always the cheapest from Glasgow - guess thats why they went bust though!

Gucci65

I have family in Balieston and they used TCD in the past and loved it.

It's a shame they've gone under. Hope no one gets stuck for long.

Disneychild92

To be honest the planes were always full when I was on them. I really liked Travel City Direct. They were always the cheapest from Glasgow - guess thats why they went bust though!

that was from manchester and ive got to agree with you i loved travelling with then they give probaly one of the best services on board that ive ever experienced even my aunty who works for BA as a chief stewardess on board said she was amazed with the service.

Ilovewishes

I am really thanking my lucky stars that we paid extra to fly with Virgin next year!!

Think I had a premonition or something as we were supposed to book with TCD but I flatly refused at the last minute!

We have a colleague who will be stranded out in the Greek Islands unless she can find an alternative!

That article that F2BF posted the link for said that a flight from Florida was diverted to Paris. Why divert it there? How are those people supposed to get home, especially with the Eurotunnel closed at the moment?:shrug:

Jenna

I seen a report on the news just now about a wedding party...the bride is in WDW now and the groom and rest of the party are stranded in England with no way to get there! Can you imagine how awful that would be!

Ilovewishes

I seen a report on the news just now about a wedding party...the bride is in WDW now and the groom and rest of the party are stranded in England with no way to get there! Can you imagine how awful that would be!

Oh no! That's awful!! To have your wedding day ruined and all that money...

What happens if they can't make it out in time? They lose everything they have paid?

a flight from Florida was diverted to Paris. Why divert it there? :shrug:

The flight had already taken off from Orlando but when the XL went bust they didn't have permission to land in the UK.

Also, the French and German wing of XL is still trading, so it could also be a case of protecting assets if that aeroplane was owned by XL.

Jenna

Oh no! That's awful!! To have your wedding day ruined and all that money...

What happens if they can't make it out in time? They lose everything they have paid?

It didn't go into any great detail but it would seem that way. I assume that they will just end up getting into some form of debt and pay for flights over there! It would actually be the most horrendous thing ever-wedding+disney should equal the best day ever ever ever but to have this go wrong is awful.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom