Brits Beware: XL goes bust.

Jenna

Just announced on sky news-they've called off the wedding, it was supposed to be tomorrow but they've had to cancel! Feel so bad for them!

SWatsi

I feel bad for everyone that is stranded or had flights cancelled and\or ruined.
But they all but ruined my last holiday to Florida, after years of great service with Travel City. It makes me really mad that things have to be made so hard. I don't know a lot about business, so I don;t know the greater impact of any of this, but, I am somewhat glad that XL has gone bust, with the exception of those poor people, because of my bad experiences.

Actually just heard from my Dad who had a flight to Egypt with XL, and has had to quickly rearrange everything. The prices are rocketing up. Thankfully he heard about this earlier on, and isn't paying the ridiculous prices coming up for a flight on that day.

goofntink

The flight had already taken off from Orlando but when the XL went bust they didn't have permission to land in the UK.

Also, the French and German wing of XL is still trading, so it could also be a case of protecting assets if that aeroplane was owned by XL.

Actually one flight never took off.Next door neighbor works at Sanford-Orlando International.He said the plane was loaded,passengers boarded,and he was actually pushing the plane away from the gate with the tug.They called him on the radio to stop and pull the plane back to the gate.The passengers [ 266 of them ]were asked to leave the plane,and once in the terminal they were told XL had ceased operation. :eek:

aurora1982

I'd just never fly with a company I'd never heard of - the saving just isn't worth it when things like this happen! However, my friend Fran is currently stuck in Barbados, so maybe I need to drop my standards in future :p

DicksonGR

Globespan next ???? Glad I dont have to fly from Glasgow, mind arent Virgin flying from there now too?

Exactly what I was thinking - I don't know how Globespan are doing it! Virgin do fly from Glasgow now in the Summer but I was checking the prices and they are very expensive, something like £900 per person just for flights. Is that expensive or have I just been spoiled by TCD's prices in the past!?

Star-Tourer

Can anyone explain how these operators (Agents/Airlines) continue to accept fully paid bookings and then suddenly announce bankruptcy as one of their planes is about to taxi down the runway?

I really feel for anyone who has been in this situation. The same thing happened to us flying from Hong Kong to the UK this year with Oasis Air. Lucky we paid by credit card and were eventually able to claim the total sum back.

I’m guessing it’s only going to be a matter of time before the Credit Card companies try and change their dispute policies due to all these airlines and agents going bust and thus preventing people from claiming back their holidays.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Exactly what I was thinking - I don't know how Globespan are doing it! Virgin do fly from Glasgow now in the Summer but I was checking the prices and they are very expensive, something like £900 per person just for flights. Is that expensive or have I just been spoiled by TCD's prices in the past!?

No thats school holiday prices, it drops to £350 when the schools are in.

Jenna

We just booked our 2009 WDW trip the other day and were told not to book with globespan by the travel agent infact she refused to book us with it because they are so unreliable at the minute. I wonder if they are cancelling so many flights because they're in financial trouble.

My mum and dad flew with Globespan back in April, where they were serving CURRY as their on flight meal. Last time we flew we went with mytravel, who I believe are owned by Thomas Cook now. We're going with Continental in 11 days, who i've flown with before. Good cheap service, but you have to get connecting flights to Newark. Don't mind though as you can get an hour or so off the plane.

leosmummy

We have have previously flown twice wih TCD and very nearly booked them for our trip next year, but decided to hold off as we are no going until Oct 09, sure am glad now, I didn't even realise they were in trouble. BIL was due to fly out with them in December, luckily his CC has him covered and he has managed to get Virgin flights for less than what he paid for TCD. I feel so sorry for the families that showed up at the airport only to find out what had happened espeically those with kids or going over for a Wedding

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom