British Dad Fined For Taking Daughter To WDW

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I wonder if the schools would care so much if their government funding was not based on attendance...?

This is a huge factor in excused/unexcused absences. When I was in High School I'd be out about 5 days a quarter... 20 days in a year! But, I was... ahead of the curve. So, I maintained a straight A average. In my senior year, the state came down heavy on local school districts because they didn't want to give them money per student when a sizable number of students weren't showing, or not showing up enough to pass. So, they said only 5 absences would be allowed! Well, about the 12th absence the school calls my house and I answer, "Yeah, I'm home sick." "OK." And I never heard from them again, even for absences 13 through 20. They certainly couldn't argue it was hurting my grades.

But, on the side of the state:
  • They do have a valid concern that their education aid to local districts isn't being wasted.
  • They have mandated all children receive an education. But, this can be in public, private, vocational, or home school (with proper oversight and testing). When children don't show up... they kinda have a good reason for wanting to know why.
  • They need to stay on top of parents who don't have the resources to make sure their children are being educated, or, who don't value an education, or, are lazy. So, they have to have rules about showing up that apply equally to everyone.
  • They also need to stay on top of children who may be abused or have gone missing. This is why there is the mandatory reporting of truancy to state agencies.

Also, in the U.S. there is a *huge* range of what is considered an excused absence. Some states may or may not define what can be excused, or leave it to local districts, who may leave it to local principals, who may leave it to the child's teacher, who may leave it to the parent to decide. And in my case, my parents left it to me to decide. :)

Disney4family

No... you said, "24 years ago, nobody left school for vacations". I provided a data point to the contrary, as did others. If your original post had been phrased as you did in this reply ("small numbers"), I would have no data to point to the contrary.
I'm sorry. I realized after posting that I had made the mistake of stating something so broad & general. I should have said from the start that where I am (a small town on Long Island) none of my students disappeared for vacations. If students did go on vacation back then, it was for very short absences out of school that would easily have passed for illness. Maybe they did in a town nearby. I would never and could never know, obviously.
The parents (and students) I have had experience with in the past 10 years, however, do not try to hide it anymore. The trips are also much, much longer. I have students leaving for 1-2 weeks at all times of the school year. Today's absences are also noted as unexcused/illegal and that seems to be okay with the parents.
While I have subbed K-12 prior to starting my career, I have only worked with students at the grades 6-12 level. None of my experiences have been with elementary-aged children (although I'm sure some of my students had younger siblings in earlier grades).
As I said, I'm glad you had your vacation experiences. I don't mind additional information. Contrary to popular belief, teachers do enjoy learning as much as they do teaching. I apologize for the mistake in wording. As they say in the one place we both can agree is wonderful whenever we vacation there - have a magical evening.

AndrewsJ

Original Poster
I really wish this would happen regularly in the USA. Kids should only miss school when they are too sick to go. There is plenty of off time during the year.

21stamps

I really wish this would happen regularly in the USA. Kids should only miss school when they are too sick to go. There is plenty of off time during the year.
Not in all schools. And not when all parents can take vacation. For example, our school's spring break last year- was a three day weekend. We don't have a fall break. We do have a Christmas break for one week but there is no way I could ever take off work during that week.

That said, I definitely think all work should be made up. And I think the parents should put more effort into age appropriate learning with their child while on vacation. Maybe that's a spelling test and math quiz while standing in line, giving their kid a Disney gift card and make them keep track of the budget, actually discussing the cultures of countries while in Epcot..etc.. there's plenty that your kid can still learn with you especially in the younger ages, but it's not a replacement for school or the work that they will miss.

Our school does not have any restrictions about taking a child for vacation. But their policy is that we cannot bring the work with us, we have to make it all up when we get home, class work included, on top of all other current homework. That is a rough few days but worth it lol

popcenturylover

Sometimes work dictates when you can take vacations. So, parents have to take their kids out of school. We took our daughter out for a week in Kindergarten & last month for a week. She's now in 2nd grade. In Kindergarten she only missed the 5 days for our vacation & no other days. This year she missed one day in the first quarter due to illness & the 5 days for our vacation. She is an honor roll student & scores above average whenever tested. We talk to her teachers & get any homework that needs done ahead of time & have no problems. With that being said things will probably change once she goes to Middle & High School.

21stamps

Sometimes work dictates when you can take vacations. So, parents have to take their kids out of school. We took our daughter out for a week in Kindergarten & last month for a week. She's now in 2nd grade. In Kindergarten she only missed the 5 days for our vacation & no other days. This year she missed one day in the first quarter due to illness & the 5 days for our vacation. She is an honor roll student & scores above average whenever tested. We talk to her teachers & get any homework that needs done ahead of time & have no problems. With that being said things will probably change once she goes to Middle & High School.
My son missed a full two weeks in kindergarten for a vacation, and in first grade he missed seven school days. i'm going to try to scale back to five or six from here on out. The make up work is just too much for that long. Five or six should be a lot easier hopefully lol

I wish we could bring the work with us!

contrariwise

My son missed a full two weeks in kindergarten for a vacation, and in first grade he missed seven school days. i'm going to try to scale back to five or six from here on out. The make up work is just too much for that long. Five or six should be a lot easier hopefully lol

Enjoy it while you can. We took our daughter out of school in early childhood and lower school - usually a week at Disney. By middle school, we recognized that making up the work was very hard and inevitably took a toll on her grades. At that point, we started piggybacking onto other holidays/breaks: fall break, spring break, Thanksgiving. That was more manageable, partly because the schedule seems to get lighter around holidays, probably due to student absences. She's in HS now and we think long and hard about missing a day, even for sickness. The school will allow it and work with us, but it's just not worth the cost. Not even remotely. (And lest anyone say, but my kid is a good student! Yeah, so is mine. The quantity of the work and the fact that it builds on itself is the problem.)

That said, I think the ruling that is the subject of this thread is extreme, to say the least. But you know, when you buck a rule, you have notice that there may be consequences.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
The school system has no business dictating as to when parents take their children on a family vacation.
Yeah, well, really it's not so much the school system as it is the state laws. Just be sure you're familiar with yours so you know what to expect if the school decides to play hardball with you.

Patcheslee

I wish could miss that much. DD is in 2nd and missed a day for strep, teacher sent home 11 PAPERS, and 3 reading assignments all due back in 2 days. I can't even imagine what 5 days would be.
"I'm sad to report that my child missed school due to insanity in the family. We're crazy about Walt Disney World."
yeah sure CPS would really like that.

21stamps

I wish could miss that much. DD is in 2nd and missed a day for strep, teacher sent home 11 PAPERS, and 3 reading assignments all due back in 2 days. I can't even imagine what 5 days would be.
yeah sure CPS would really like that.

In 2015 it was A LOT. My kid has an 8pm bed time. He was up til almost 10pm every night for over a week doing homework. It was crazy.

mergatroid

In most cases parents take their children out of school as it's cheaper to fly when schools are open (travel companies put prices up around school holidays in the UK). 90% or more of parents do it for this reason alone in my estimation. There'll always be exceptions when one parent can't get leave at the same time as the kids, or perhaps they get a chance of a friends villa etc but on the whole it's to save money.

This guy has learnt the hard way that you have to obey the rules of the school that you choose to send your child to, not sure myself whether that's right or wrong but he chose to challenge what he knew wasn't allowed. He's now talking about educating his kids at home where as long as they get enough quality education, he can choose when they holiday. Might be best for him under the circumstances.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
This guy has learnt the hard way that you have to obey the rules of the school that you choose to send your child to, not sure myself whether that's right or wrong but he chose to challenge what he knew wasn't allowed. He's now talking about educating his kids at home where as long as they get enough quality education, he can choose when they holiday. Might be best for him under the circumstances.
We found that local laws play a large part in how easily you can convert from public to home schooling. For example, Texas laws on home schooling border on neglect. Pennsylvania, on the other hand, discourages home schooling by making the documentation and experience requirements onerous. Don't know how it is in the UK, but if the local council took him to court over a short absence like that, I'm guessing they're more like Pennsylvania than Texas.

Patcheslee

Local laws may sometimes mean no choice in schools, without it being private school, unless of course you move to another state/school district.

Animaniac93-98

School holidays are often the busiest and most expensive time to go on vacation because of demand.

WDW was almost always done at other times of the year for this reason. I did homework during the trip and asked beforehand if there were any projects I would have to submit before I left.

beertiki

My daughter missed about 10 days a year while we went on vacations. I remember one teacher sent home this huge folder of work to do while on vacation. The next day it was sent back with a note saying that this is a family vacation, both me and my wife were not bringing our work with us, and neither would our daughter.

I get 2 weeks paid vacation, 6 paid holidays, and a week of sick pay. I don't bring my job with me, and there is no "make up work" when I get back. Vacation is VACATION! Kids should not be treated like slaves to the educational system.

My brother has a hard time pulling his kids out of school due to attend attendance laws. I told him just call the school and say they got lice, bring them to Key West for a week, then let the school nurse check them out when they get back. No doctor note needed....

cheshiresmile

We have lots of reasons to take the kids out, and lots that for us, it is fine. They kids have maybe missed one day each this year, so frequent absences are not a problem. They go to a Montessori school, so the structure is a bit different and more flexible. Both kids, DD especially, do well in school. We spoke to the teachers and worked out some things for them to do and I am going to work in some things for the kids to learn about, for example DD will be working on botany and early US history, so that's perfect for Epcot.
At my job, "prime time" vacation runs from Memorial day to Labor day, I it will be a loooong time before I have the seniority to get a summer week off. Last year I had to meet the family part way through our Myrtle Beach trip. And with what we are already spending, I can't see spending even more to fight bigger crowds and worse weather. May is our favorite time, and we don't go every year (it's been 7 years since our last trip), so I'm not concerned at all about taking them out, even with this being our longest trip and them missing 7 days.

MySmallWorldof4

We found that local laws play a large part in how easily you can convert from public to home schooling. For example, Texas laws on home schooling border on neglect. Pennsylvania, on the other hand, discourages home schooling by making the documentation and experience requirements onerous. Don't know how it is in the UK, but if the local council took him to court over a short absence like that, I'm guessing they're more like Pennsylvania than Texas.
I homeschool my 4 kids in PA. I don't find the documentation or requirements onerous. I send the school district what we plan on studying the coming academic year, and which kids are getting homeschooled. I make a portfolio every year of the work my kids have done. We meet with an evaluator once a year and she talks to the kids and looks over their work. It actually makes me more secure meeting with her because she just lets me know that I am doing a great job. They are all ahead grade wise and that is what matters.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom