Brief update: Just back from a week in the World

NX2I85

Original Poster
As always me and my family had a blast, but I am left with a few observations and questions...

-- MK is just plastered with refurb walls and netting. It looks more like Plywood Kingdom. It seems that most of Liberty Square is covered with tell-tale signs of refurb, and it has spread to Fantasyland (IASW and Pinnochio Haus) and Frontierland (Diamond Horseshoe). That's not even counting the two refurb on Main Street and, of course, Space Mountain and TTA. I like a good refurb as much as the next guy, but what's up with all this going on at once? It may be needed, but it really effects the show when there is so much going on at once.

-- Is the refurb of the facade in front of IASW and PH part of a Fantasyland total makeover?

-- Tomorrowland seems so sad and empty. I was there to ride CoP and Buzz a couple of times, but that was it. The kinetic energy added by TTA is missed.

-- I did American Idol Experience... and I liked it! The host (Craig Kim???) did a spot on impression of Seacrest. The studio was well-done. I would attend a show or two next time I'm in DHS.

-- I think the 9pm Fantasmic got rained out Thursday 5/28. I was in the park but not at F!, but did see a wave of people hustling up Sunset at 9:05. It looks like the 10:30 show probably happened. A rainout really stinks for those people who planned things around the limited F! showings

-- I had the mind-boggling, maddening, frustrating worst bus service ever. POFQ was nice, but I felt like I was in purgatory trying to get a bus out of there sometimes. By my last park day (yesterday) I just gave up worrying about wait times and park openings. I hope to high heavens that this is just a POFQ issue and not system-wide

-- What's going on at the intersection of Bonnet Creek and Vista Dr? There is lots of dirt being moved on a wide piece of land. It looks like either a road or a resort.

-- A CM in ImageWorks Lab told my wife and kids that the area was closing for refurbishment in two weeks. Apparently just the lab area, but some of you folks probably know more than me.

-- I saw some strange operational decisions at MK.
~One busy morning BTMRR was only open on one side. The queue was already 70 minutes and counting before 10am. I don't understand why, with Space closed, they wouldn't work to take some pressure off the remaining "thrill" rides.
~ Splash Mountain FP queue closed 90 minutes before park closing one night, while standby queue was still 30 minutes. I had the distinct sense it was because there were not enough CMs on duty.

--I was amazed at how few characters were greeting in all four parks. Staff cutbacks, I assume? The characters are very popular, although my kids are juuuust about old enough that they don't care. I remember not too many years ago that all parks featured many more characters than they do now.

Rob562

-- What's going on at the intersection of Bonnet Creek and Vista Dr? There is lots of dirt being moved on a wide piece of land. It looks like either a road or a resort.

That's the Four Seasons resort being built where the Eagle Pines golf course used to be. (Osprey Ridge is still in operation there) There's info about it elsewhere on WDWMagic.
They've also been doing a lot of infrastructure/utilities work along Bonnet Creek Parkway in preparation for the new resort.

-Rob

Tinkrbell

--I was amazed at how few characters were greeting in all four parks. Staff cutbacks, I assume? The characters are very popular, although my kids are juuuust about old enough that they don't care. I remember not too many years ago that all parks featured many more characters than they do now.

A few characters got cut from the parks the beginning of May. (Genie & Dopey at Epcot come to mind, not exactly sure about what got cut from other parks.) The characters are out, you just have to look for them. They are into their summer schedule now, so they have shorter sets outside (about 15 minutes instead of 25 or 30) or they were moved indoors so they can still do the full 30 minute set.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
MK is just plastered with refurb walls and netting. It looks more like Plywood Kingdom.
Expect this to continue towards the 40th. Despite other things, the MK as a whole is getting the spit and polish it really needs.

EPCOT Explorer

-- A CM in ImageWorks Lab told my wife and kids that the area was closing for refurbishment in two weeks. Apparently just the lab area, but some of you folks probably know more than me.
That's interesting... We don't know anything.:lol::lol: I thought the JII IWL just got a refurb...

Expect this to continue towards the 40th. Despite other things, the MK as a whole is getting the spit and polish it really needs.

:eek::D:sohappy:

That post made me very happy, Martin:D

Exprcoofto

I bet the outcome will be nice :sohappy:

NX2I85 said:
-- Is the refurb of the facade in front of IASW and PH part of a Fantasyland total makeover?

Good question, can anyone enlighten on that? :shrug:

goodolgm

~One busy morning BTMRR was only open on one side. The queue was already 70 minutes and counting before 10am. I don't understand why, with Space closed, they wouldn't work to take some pressure off the remaining "thrill" rides.
~ Splash Mountain FP queue closed 90 minutes before park closing one night, while standby queue was still 30 minutes. I had the distinct sense it was because there were not enough CMs on duty.

If it was Tuesday, it was because there was an unexpected surge of guests. The park stayed open an extra hour to accomodate the massive rush, and I'm sure staffing levels both early and later weren't set with so many guests in mind that day.

Great report ...thanks!

ryno1982

You are correct. There's not enough CMs in either case to run both sides of Thunder or Fastpass at Splash.

peterpanic74

-- I did American Idol Experience... and I liked it! The host (Craig Kim???) did a spot on impression of Seacrest. The studio was well-done. I would attend a show or two next time I'm in DHS.--

I believe the host you are referring to is Ryan Kim, a terrific actor and a great guy. I went to college with him.

:D

Disneyson 1

Great post, and although some of these things sadden me (characters, weird operations), the refurb thing made me a very happy miser (although I'm sure it made you upset; sorry!)!

NX2I85

Original Poster
That's the Four Seasons resort being built where the Eagle Pines golf course used to be. (Osprey Ridge is still in operation there) There's info about it elsewhere on WDWMagic.
They've also been doing a lot of infrastructure/utilities work along Bonnet Creek Parkway in preparation for the new resort.

-Rob

Thanks, I now recall that discussion.

A few characters got cut from the parks the beginning of May. (Genie & Dopey at Epcot come to mind, not exactly sure about what got cut from other parks.) The characters are out, you just have to look for them. They are into their summer schedule now, so they have shorter sets outside (about 15 minutes instead of 25 or 30) or they were moved indoors so they can still do the full 30 minute set.

Hmmm... I don't know. I remember a time, for example, when there would be 8-10 characters out in front of the Sorcerer's hat at (then) MGM. That would include face characters like Meg, Hercules, Cruella, and Snow White. Last week during that time slot there were only Goofy and Chip and Dale.
Similarly at the Toontown County Bounty tent there used to be three character greeting lines, now there are two (one for princesses and one for fairies). Minnie used to greet there, along with Pooh and friends. Sure, Pooh has moved to his playground, but earlier this decade (before the lagoon was covered) characters (seems like Gepetto and Pinocchio were there a lot) greeted there too in addition to the full accompaniment of characters in Toontown.

Sounds good to me.

If it was Tuesday, it was because there was an unexpected surge of guests. The park stayed open an extra hour to accomodate the massive rush, and I'm sure staffing levels both early and later weren't set with so many guests in mind that day.

Great report ...thanks!

Actually it was Friday (5/28) morning, which was busy but nothing at all like Tuesday (5/25). Speaking of Tuesday, we had hoped to stay until 11 or 12 that night but the thunderstorms just wore us down. I got so weary of pulling that freaking poncho on and off -and d__________g for cover during the deluges.

-- I did American Idol Experience... and I liked it! The host (Craig Kim???) did a spot on impression of Seacrest. The studio was well-done. I would attend a show or two next time I'm in DHS.--

I believe the host you are referring to is Ryan Kim, a terrific actor and a great guy. I went to college with him.

:D

He did a fantastic job. Probably a big reason the attraction was a hit with my family.

Great post, and although some of these things sadden me (characters, weird operations), the refurb thing made me a very happy miser (although I'm sure it made you upset; sorry!)!
The refurbs didn't bother me too much. I just had never seen so many of them going on at once. With the refurb walls in place and the down attractions in Tommorowland, I imagine a first-timer might not get the idea of what MK is supposed to be.

NX2I85

Original Poster
what is going on at the diamond horseshoe? it has been behind rehab walls for months now, but little has been said about it. Martin, Lee?

I saw what looked like a construction spotlight shining behind the second story refurb curtain Friday night around 10pm. I was tempted to holler up there and ask the worker what was going on. :lol:

hardcard

Diamond horseshoe has not be walled for months..maybe 4-5 weeks at most. and thats at the extreme end.

but, I will agree.. MK is like a land of refurb walls..... Anyone know when the 40th celebration may kick off? I'm thinking sometime early next year.. I'm guessing it'll be a 18 month promotion starting in spring 2010, running through winter 2011.. makes sense, and that would be similar to the 100 years of magic celebration

fngoofy

Anyone know when the 40th celebration may kick off? I'm thinking sometime early next year.. I'm guessing it'll be a 18 month promotion starting in spring 2010, running through winter 2011.. makes sense, and that would be similar to the 100 years of magic celebration

I agree on the 18 months, but the official 40th isn't until 10/2011, so I would think early spring of 2011 going through the end of 2012 maybe?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom