BREAKING NEWS: Disney bought the Muppets!

ogryn

http://www.jimhillmedia.com/articles/02182004.2.htm

Is the Muppets deal really part of Michael Eisner's Wall Street distraction plan?
Jim Hill wants to feel happy about yesterday's announcement. But -- at the same time -- he wonders: How can Henson's kids actually sell the Muppets off to a man who clearly doesn't view these beloved characters as an asset. But -- rather -- as a quick way to cover his ______.

MKCustodial

Originally posted by Tahu
Most of the Muppet fans at www.muppetcentral.com 's forums aren't optimisitic about this, they think that the Muppets could have the creative life sucked out of them.

That's what I'm afraid of. This is great news overall, but the Muppet-style of TV and movies is not what Disney usually deals with. It falls more along the lines of The Emperor's New Groove, which the company tried very hard to boycott. So if they start making toned-down Muppet stories...

Originally posted by daniam2188
unlike others i hope that they DONT updatate MV3D... it was one of the last projects that jim worked on and it should be presereved... and it has the best pre show in any attraction EVER

Very true. Much like CoP, this is probably a work of art now, from the hands and mind of a true comedy genius.

PaisleyMF

Originally posted by Woody13
Let's hope that Disney gets rid of Brian Henson and finds some REAL talent to voice Kermit and carry on the Muppet tradition.
The Actual voice of Kermit isn't Brian is
Steve Whitmire that i think has done a great job filling Jim's shoes. (remember Kermit was Jim's inner self)

This is a great news for the Muppets and Disney. Now the only Need to bring back Pixar and Steve Jobs (why not do something with Apple to cheer Steve back)

PaisleyMF

Remember that a Deal was made in the 90's with Disney that have the "Meet the Muppets" at MGM, after that "Muppet Vision 3D", "A Muppet Xmas Carol", "Muppet Treasure Island", "Muppets Tonite" and some other special for ABC (that wasn't Disney yet) and everything was very happy very Muppet, even the Tribute to Jim' (wish i could get that special back to have it on DVD)

MouseRight

Originally posted by General Grizz
Haha, Michael Eisner is finally taking his job seriously - because right now he's a "necessary evil."

This IS exciting, but I wish it could have been on Roy's side in the Save Disney campaign. Oh well, eh?

This isn't about Eisner, Roy or Comcast. This is a great deal for Disney. So many of you Eisner haters are so negative lately that you can't even say something good about this deal without bashing Eisner. Fact is, he has been chasing this deal for years. Didn't Roy claim that he messed up this relationship, too? Well if he messed it up so much, why would the Henson's come back? Fact is, Disney is and has been the best place for Jim HEnson's creations. Eisner knows that, and both legacies will be better off with them in the Disney family.

GO MUPPETS AND GO DISNEY :sohappy:

OliveMcFly

I am sooo excited about the Muppets. Anyone have any idea what kind of shows Disney will put out? Will it be anything like the Muppet Show from the 70's? I'm so excited. HeHe

Testtrack321

Guys, this is pretty obvious. Comcast made a bid on Disney. Disney has two real options: accept or decline. They declined. Now Comcast can do a hostal-tackover, or they can just quit. Taking on things like the muppets will raise the debt and the baggage the mouse house already has. This will hurn the Comcast & Disney merger. See what I'm saying? A poison pill is something done to make you look very bad for purchase. As for the 'this had nothing to do with Eisner and Comcast', please, there just all of a sudden, without any leaks, Disney buys the Muppets for dirt cheap. COME ON!

As for future projects, I think we will see Miss Piggy's Superstar Limo appear, but I doubt we'll see The Great Muppet Movie Ride. Although I am hoping that Gonzo's Pandamonium Pizza Parlor does open... :slurp: I also wouldn't look for a TV show soon, but mabey we'll see old re-runs of the Muppet show on ABC Family? WOULDN'T THAT BE COOOL!

MKCustodial

Originally posted by Testtrack321
I also wouldn't look for a TV show soon, but mabey we'll see old re-runs of the Muppet show on ABC Family? WOULDN'T THAT BE COOOL!

I would rather have reruns, and some season DVDs, than a new show. I don't think Disney has anyone right now capable enough to write the kind of comedy timing and edge the Muppets require.

PaisleyMF

Originally posted by MKCustodial
I would rather have reruns, and some season DVDs, than a new show. I don't think Disney has anyone right now capable enough to write the kind of comedy timing and edge the Muppets require.

i do remember Muppets Tonite that was a very good spinoff from the Muppet Show, was very 90's, hey the even got "Prince" on the show.

But they haved change with time and age and that Jim isn't around. But can't wait to a new Land over MGM (btw that area isn't been refurbished)

Love you avatar testtrack321.

wdwmaniac

As I think this Disney/Muppet deal is great I just seem a little upset for the Henson Company. I think Disney should have taken everything over. Because in a way it's like what Comcast could do to Disney if they win the Bid. Spin off the assets that are the most dear to teh company. I am not saying it's truely the same but I would be happier to keep the Jim Henson name with the Muppets under the Walt Disney banner. But overall lets see if we can get Disney turned around.

What I would like to see:
Step one: Buy Muppets
Step two: Remove Eisner
Step three: PIXAR buy or renew
Step four: 2-D animation bring back
Step five: Buy MGM and buy the movie rights of the MGM movies back from Time Warner.

Disney is on Top again.

MKCustodial

Originally posted by PaisleyMF
i do remember Muppets Tonite that was a very good spinoff from the Muppet Show, was very 90's, hey the even got "Prince" on the show.

Sure, and I LOVE Muppets Tonight. But you can tell it's a far cry from the Muppet Show. And it's also worse, than the previous movies, but better than Muppets in Space, for example. That's what I'm saying: they either get someone that can write good scripts without turning the Muppets into rappers or skaters or stick with reruns.

General Grizz

Originally posted by MouseRight
This isn't about Eisner, Roy or Comcast. This is a great deal for Disney. So many of you Eisner haters are so negative lately that you can't even say something good about this deal without bashing Eisner. Fact is, he has been chasing this deal for years. Didn't Roy claim that he messed up this relationship, too? Well if he messed it up so much, why would the Henson's come back? Fact is, Disney is and has been the best place for Jim HEnson's creations. Eisner knows that, and both legacies will be better off with them in the Disney family.

GO MUPPETS AND GO DISNEY :sohappy:

I am happy Disney has Muppets - - I mean, it would be awesome to have the Muppets on ABC. I'd go for Fraggle Rock if Disney had it.

It is not mere coincidence I believe that this pops up, especially if, like Jim Hill thought, this is used as a major plus towards Eisner. Yes, it is a plus - this is a good thing!! But this isn't something that should keep him in the company, if you see what I mean.

As for Roy's attacks, this is what he wrote in his letter of resignation concerning previous similar relationships:

Your failure to establish and build constructive relationships with creative partners, especially Pixar, Miramax, and the cable companies distributing our products.

Woody13

Originally posted by PaisleyMF
The Actual voice of Kermit isn't Brian is
Steve Whitmire that i think has done a great job filling Jim's shoes. (remember Kermit was Jim's inner self)

This is a great news for the Muppets and Disney. Now the only Need to bring back Pixar and Steve Jobs (why not do something with Apple to cheer Steve back)

Thanks! Yes I know that Steve Whitmire took over the Kermit voice role after Jim's sudden and untimely death. I have never liked Whitmire's "Kermit". The voice is too high. Kermit now sounds as if Miss Piggy whacked him in the privates once too often. Whitmere is great as Rizzo and Bean. I hope Disney finds a new voice for Kermit.

I have not been pleased with Brian Henson as the Muppet CEO (or rather co-CEO). Hopefully he'll stay busy with the "Creature Shop", "Fraggle Rock", "Farscape" and the other projects. Now that Disney owns Kermit, Miss Piggy, etc., Eisner will be able to get some really good voice talent to do the characters.

prberk

For the most part, this is a really good thing. Disney has the muppet attractions, and it has the resources to keep up the muppets. I even believe that Eisner may have showed a creative love for the muppets years ago if he had input into the MGM attraction (since I know that the whole MGM park was partly his idea).

My concern is not that Michael or any of the other suits who run the company CAN be creative and good stewards of creative talent... but lately they seem to have gone for cheap sequels and short-term gain. The complete opposite of creativity and the antagonist to long-term health in a creative enterprise.

So, yay to the acquisition of The Muppets!

Boo to cheap sequels and the drag on quality and long-term creative investment lately.

Let's hope that the company retains its independence, but learns from the wakeup call and becomes creative and fun again -- starting with Gonzo and his friends! :animwink:

Figment1986

why couldn't they have thrown in Fraggle Rock, i remember some of that show when i was growing up, is it shown at all anymore in the U.S?

MouseRight

Originally posted by CTXRover
Sure, it couldn't have happened at a better time for Disney and Eisner, but don't downplay the hard work and determination that went into finally getting this deal done.

Great psot CTXRover.

ogryn

Fraggles!!! I so wish they could have got them as well.

Imagine a ride like Journey To The Centre Of The Earth where you queue in the Workshed area, with a giant Sprocket looking for you and one of the postcards aiting in the bin. You then go through the mousehole and board a vehicle that travels through the Fraggles cave complex, then creep out into the Gorgs garden... you just about think you've made it out safely then..... Fffwwwaaaggglleees!!!!!! And you're off, you car acceleartes away with the gorgs chasing you and you escape down the well, back into the caves, where your ride ends... (with a chorus of Fraggles singing the theme tune)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom