Breaking: LegoLand to Cypress Gardens

cdunbar

I am VERY sad about this. As a historian I can only imagine that made everything Cypress Gardens Florida's first them park will be gone...:brick:

jt04

Original Poster
I could see Merlin partnering with SeaWorld or Universal and create a vacation package that includes transport to the park... much like SeaWorld has a bus that takes people to and from Busch Gardens...

They could also partner with Kennedy Space Center, Gator Land, local eco-tours, beach excursions etc etc etc and let people customize their vacations. The mouse better get busy.

jt04

Original Poster
I am VERY sad about this. As a historian I can only imagine that made everything Cypress Gardens Florida's first them park will be gone...:brick:

The alternative was seeing it turned into a golf course or housing development. This is great news and I think they will keep the gardens. The Blackstone Group has the money to do this right.

cdunbar

The alternative was seeing it turned into a golf course or housing development. This is great news and I think they will keep the gardens. The Blackstone Group has the money to do this right.
I hope you're right jt because this group, and I know the Philpot fellows wife, she was one of my teachers in high school, really didn't do it any justice with turning it into a kind of knock off of what it once was...

jt04

Original Poster
I hope you're right jt because this group, and I know the Philpot fellows wife, she was one of my teachers in high school, really didn't do it any justice with turning it into a kind of knock off of what it once was...

OrSen reports there will be a press conference next Thursday. Hopefully with concept art.

Figment1986

Obviously since the Gardens are owned by polk county... they wont be demolished... and whatever Merlin builds would either include it in an old Florida / cypress gardens section... or not include it and have the gardens become open to the public as a county park... :shrug:

OrSen reports there will be a press conference next Thursday. Hopefully with concept art.
DOH! why did I need to take classes on Thursdays.

cdunbar

That's what TBO.com is also reporting. Cypress gardens is about 15 min from my house so I'll interested to see what they do with it, but I do hope they retain the gardens or keep it cypress gardens but rip out the roller coasters, etc!

Figment1986

That's what TBO.com is also reporting. Cypress gardens is about 15 min from my house so I'll interested to see what they do with it, but I do hope they retain the gardens or keep it cypress gardens but rip out the roller coasters, etc!

:lookaroun save the starliner :drevil:

Figment1986

Dude isn't that already gone?!? Didn't that guy from georgia spend like 400K to put it back up only to find out it wasn't safe or something like that! :lol:

go down the road and tell me.. is it removed or just "standing but not operating" It was running on the last days of the amusement park...

misterID

My family almost bought Cypress Gardens once. And the land that Universal now sits on. Big "Doh!" moments. :lol:

And don't be sad about it changing. I knew the person who was going to buy it and trust me, CG is much better off being Lego Land. Cypress Gardens was in deep trouble.

And its not that far from UNI/Sea World to Cypress Gardens.

MarkTwain

Cypress Gardens is an hours drive away. Way to far away to syphon any significant guest numbers away from WDW in my opinion. Particularly as so many are now car-less following the mass takeup of Magical Express.

Legoland may be popular in places with no Disney park in driving distance, but it's not going to be any threat to WDW.

A fair number of people still drive or bus to Busch Gardens Tampa; I could see people taking a day out of their Orlando trip to spend in Legoland.

I suspect my family will. ;)

sueuk

See, WDW standing still is like blood in the water to competition.

Wake up mouse house.

'Standing still'? I'm presuming that you know there is a big MK expansion on the way ... they can't work on everything at once; but perhaps they'll build a Lego Dumbo for the new bigtop!!
The Legoland in UK still attreacts the same people who will go over to DLRP ... doesn't seem to affect Disney.

jt04

Original Poster
'Standing still'? I'm presuming that you know there is a big MK expansion on the way ... they can't work on everything at once; but perhaps they'll build a Lego Dumbo for the new bigtop!!
The Legoland in UK still attreacts the same people who will go over to DLRP ... doesn't seem to affect Disney.

Don't forget that Cypress Gardens is only about 30 miles from WDW. It will draw locals also in big numbers because it will be an economical alternative to the MK for young families.

I really wonder if Disney knew this was going to happen and that is what spurred the FLE decision as much as TWWoHP. :shrug:

In any case this is a real threat. And the mouse will have to respond with more than just the FLE. I suspect we will see Monsters green lighted if it hasn't happened already.

71jason

Cypress Gardens is an hours drive away. Way to far away to syphon any significant guest numbers away from WDW in my opinion. Particularly as so many are now car-less following the mass takeup of Magical Express.

Living in Champions Gate and having traveled 27 a few times, an hour seems high. Maybe from within Orlando city limits, but certainly not that far from AK/MK...or, more importantly, from the recently expanding west 192 area. A friend of mine lives farther south on 27 and can make it to DTD in 40 minutes, barring insane traffic.

And while Magic Express has definitely put a dent in the number of on-site guests driving, Merlin may be counting on Harry Potter to be a "Magic Express-killer." I really think HP will be a game-changer in a lot of ways.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I disagree. I really look for them to put together packages where people set up an itenarary and use GPS to use their flexpasses. They would get to combine custom Florida adventures that are tailored to a families interests. So it could be put together as a pre-arranged touring package. And at much cheaper prices than Disney. It's a very compelling addition to the line up. I don't know if you have ever seen Cypress Gardens but a Legoland would be perfect.

And this doesn't even factor into how attractive this package will be to locals. Trust me Steve, this is huge news!

None of the attractions outside of the WDW/Universal/Sea World area have ever had an impact - they are just too far away. If the home of manned space flight can't generate enough visitors to make even the tiniest dent on WDW, a park with lego wont.

Legoland are going to need to pump in upwards of a billion dollars to craete something even on the level of Universal - and I'll bet that wont happen.

I think you have a lot of expectations that just won't materialise. We'll see though :)

maggiegrace1

ever since Orlando Mystery Funhouse shut down, this has been just a matter of time. :lookaroun

:lookaroun

What was Orlando Mystery Funhouse, you ask? This
LOVED Mystery Fun House...:D
Maze of mirrors and the crooked room and disco floor..:D

Also..Stars Hall of Fame and Florida Festival..:D

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Living in Champions Gate and having traveled 27 a few times, an hour seems high. Maybe from within Orlando city limits, but certainly not that far from AK/MK...or, more importantly, from the recently expanding west 192 area. A friend of mine lives farther south on 27 and can make it to DTD in 40 minutes, barring insane traffic.

And while Magic Express has definitely put a dent in the number of on-site guests driving, Merlin may be counting on Harry Potter to be a "Magic Express-killer." I really think HP will be a game-changer in a lot of ways.

I got the 60 minutes from Google maps - Epcot to Cypress.

HP isn't going to do anything to Magic Express. I think it will help cement those who already go to Universal, and it will bring in some people to check it out (assuming it gets good PR), but as for killing off Magical Express? No chance.

misterID

I lived in Orlando and Lake Wales nearly all my life and I can tell you it is not that far from uni/seaworld/disney from Cypress Gardens. 45 minutes at the most. I-4 to 27.

If a Lego Land comes with a tourist package, people will go. I don't think anyone is saying that the park itself would compete against Disney, but its just an addition that would pull an extra day away from Disney. And that adds up.

And look at it this way: over seas tourists was/are Disney Worlds bread and butter. Most of those tourists now have disney parks in their own country. Even supperior ones. Not to mention locals will make the drive to these parks if they're under a single pass. Disney world is still THE giant of central Florida, and its not going to be put out of business anytime soon, especially by Lego Land :)lol:) , but it will get hurt as these theme parks work together. And this has been in the making for a long time. TDO is just helping them out by not giving locals a reason to flock there like Disneyland does. Locals have significant options and now so do the tourists.

jt04

Original Poster
I lived in Orlando and Lake Wales nearly all my life and I can tell you it is not that far from uni/seaworld/disney from Cypress Gardens. 45 minutes at the most. I-4 to 27.

If a Lego Land comes with a tourist package, people will go. I don't think anyone is saying that the park itself would compete against Disney, but its just an addition that would pull an extra day away from Disney. And that adds up.

And look at it this way: over seas tourists was/are Disney Worlds bread and butter. Most of those tourists now have disney parks in their own country. Even supperior ones. Not to mention locals will make the drive to these parks if they're under a single pass. Disney world is still THE giant of central Florida, and its not going to be put out of business anytime soon, especially by Lego Land :)lol:) , but it will get hurt as these theme parks work together. And this has been in the making for a long time. TDO is just helping them out by not giving locals a reason to flock there like Disneyland does. Locals have significant options and now so do the tourists.

I agree 100%. The difference is that the options are really becomming competitive for the first time. Previously there hasn't been the quantity and quality to compete with Disney. But I think that is changing now. And, more importantly, these expansions are backed by companies with serious capital to invest.

When you combine TWWoHP with Legoland and other offerings it starts to be a serious challange.

Look at what has been or soon will be added...

Manta
RRR
TWWoHP
Legoland
Complete refurb of Atlantis
Simpsons at Uni
BGT adds

and visitors can customize vacations by adding...

Fantasy of Flight
Kennedy Space Center
Gator Land
Eco-tours
World class golf
Daytona Speedway
beach excursions
deep sea fishing

All perfect for international visitors who want to experience the "real Florida".

Not to mention the impact on locals who will have options to Disney they have not had before.

Disney better get building. IMO.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom