Breaking: LegoLand to Cypress Gardens

jt04

Original Poster
See, WDW standing still is like blood in the water to competition.

Wake up mouse house.

thewhitequeen

I had read rumors about this but I don't think it's going to impact Disney anymore than Universal or SeaWorld or even Busch Gardens in Tampa. It's probably unfair to make judgements based on others opinions, but I heard the Legoland in California isn't all that great. I heard one very recent report come back and say it was a bit dirty. The article didn't say though whether Merlin would transform Cypress into Legoland.

I do wonder what will become of the Lego store and area in DTD though if in fact Legoland is built.

EpcotServo

A: Way to Break News without any information whatsoever

B: WDW has it's Lego base covered with the Lego shop.

I don't think there will be an endless stream of Minifig obsessed men storming out of the parks to head to Legoland instead of Magic Kingdom. They'll go there, but I don't think the decline of Disney is what invited Legoland to Florida...

I'd like to see the surveys there though if that were true/

What did you dislike most about Disney's Animal Kingdom?

Not enough Legos.

What would you like to see most in Disney's Animal Kingdom?

More Legos.

Did you eat at one of the Restaraunts today?

No.

Did you eat at all today?

Yes.

What did you eat?

Legos.

Who did you come with today?

Minifigs.

What's the catchpharse of the Eggo brand food item?

Lego my Eggo.

Thank you for your time!

:lol: :brick:

nemofinder22

Legoland is owned Merlin Entertainments which bought Cypress Gardens. Merlin Entertainments also owns Sea World.

http://www.cfnews13.com/Entertainment/HeyJohn/2010/1/15/report_legoland_buys_cypress_gardens.html
WINTER HAVEN -- The owners of Cypress Gardens appears to have sold the theme park after closing it in 2009.

According to reports, Cypress Gardens has been sold to Merlin Entertainments Group, the owners of the Legoland theme parks.

http://www.cfnews13.com/Entertainment/HeyJohn/2010/1/15/report_legoland_buys_cypress_gardens.html

thewhitequeen

Epcotexplorer, I had read rumors several months ago that Merlin Entertainments Group, the owner of Legoland, was looking to purchase land in the Orlando area to build their themepark (I presume another Legoland).

They just finalized a deal to purchase Cypress Gardens. My guess would be that Legoland will be coming shortly.

KevinYee

A little more than drop in the bucket, I think. What if Merlin partners with SeaWorld and Universal for a more beefed up Flex Pass? Siphoning Disney's excess business (vacation days) will have an effect.

The irony, of course, is that this will spur Disney to create something "reactively" as counter-programming. Competition ultimately benefits the consumer.

KevinYee

Forgot to add: Blackstone own SeaWorld, a significant part of Uni, and now Cypress (since Blackstone owns Merlin) - so an enhanced FlexPass is a real possibility.

jt04

Original Poster
A little more than drop in the bucket, I think. What if Merlin partners with SeaWorld and Universal for a more beefed up Flex Pass? Siphoning Disney's excess business (vacation days) will have an effect.

The irony, of course, is that this will spur Disney to create something "reactively" as counter-programming. Competition ultimately benefits the consumer.

Well said. People may be underestimating the popularity of Legolands with young families. This hits the MK right in the wallet. TWDC must feel very lucky to have the FL expansion well into development.

Big big news for the reason you state. Great news for Central Florida too.

MKCP 1985

ever since Orlando Mystery Funhouse shut down, this has been just a matter of time. :lookaroun

:lookaroun

What was Orlando Mystery Funhouse, you ask? This

EPCOT Explorer

The irony, of course, is that this will spur Disney to create something "reactively" as counter-programming. Competition ultimately benefits the consumer

Forgot to add: Blackstone own SeaWorld, a significant part of Uni, and now Cypress (since Blackstone owns Merlin) - so an enhanced FlexPass is a real possibility.

I wouldn't think that the threat would be THAT big.

However, what you bolded is very, very true.:lol:

misterID

I wouldn't think that the threat would be THAT big.

However, what you bolded is very, very true.:lol:

It could be big because, not only for stealing local APers to a variety of parks under one umbrella, but also tourists; there will be so much to do and see with a Uni, Seaworld, Legoland and everything else pass that it will shut out Disney from people's vacations to Orlando.

This has been coming for a while.

And Mystery Funhouse was killer. I smashed my face many a night in that hall of mirrors and got plenty of rug burns from the revolving carpet tunnel.

jt04

Original Poster
It could be big because, not only for stealing local APers to a variety of parks under one umbrella, but also tourists; there will be so much to do and see with a Uni, Seaworld, Legoland and everything else pass that it will shut out Disney from people's vacations to Orlando.

This has been coming for a while.

And Mystery Funhouse was killer. I smashed my face many a night in that hall of mirrors and got plenty of rug burns from the revolving carpet tunnel.

It's so big the thread was quickly moved to thread Siberia. :lol:

Add this to an expanding SW, TWWoHP and probably BGT and a flex pass is inevitible. This is a real option for a family to fill a week with great entertainment and never set foot on Disney property. I'm just saying, this is the real deal folks. This will be the first time WDW had real competition. Make no mistake.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Cypress Gardens is an hours drive away. Way to far away to syphon any significant guest numbers away from WDW in my opinion. Particularly as so many are now car-less following the mass takeup of Magical Express.

Legoland may be popular in places with no Disney park in driving distance, but it's not going to be any threat to WDW.

jt04

Original Poster
Cypress Gardens is an hours drive away. Way to far away to syphon any significant guest numbers away from WDW in my opinion. Particularly as so many are now car-less following the mass takeup of Magical Express.

Legoland may be popular in places with no Disney park in driving distance, but it's not going to be any threat to WDW.

I disagree. I really look for them to put together packages where people set up an itenarary and use GPS to use their flexpasses. They would get to combine custom Florida adventures that are tailored to a families interests. So it could be put together as a pre-arranged touring package. And at much cheaper prices than Disney. It's a very compelling addition to the line up. I don't know if you have ever seen Cypress Gardens but a Legoland would be perfect.

And this doesn't even factor into how attractive this package will be to locals. Trust me Steve, this is huge news!

Figment1986

I could see Merlin partnering with SeaWorld or Universal and create a vacation package that includes transport to the park... much like SeaWorld has a bus that takes people to and from Busch Gardens...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom