Rumor Brazil is the frontrunner for a new World Showcase Pavilion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grazia

Of course we all have our preferences, which are obviously valid. I would gently suggest, though, that the Manueline architectural style and the Portuguese monuments you posted are not well-known to most people. They could easily create a little mock-up of Rio which might lean more heavily on a recreation of natural features than the other pavilions but that would be instantly recognisable to most guests as Brazilian. I'm sure Disney also thinks more broadly than architectural styles when they consider what might make a good pavilion.

Beyond that, Brazil just makes sense for a whole host of reasons. Chief among them is that there are no South American countries in World Showcase, it is the biggest country in terms of population and economy in Latin America, and loads of Brazilians visit WDW. As to why this is happening before, say, India, I suspect it's because they found someone who was willing to pay for it first.

I get Brazil might not be some people's first preference for a new country, but I find it hard to argue that it doesn't make a lot of sense for it to be added to WS. What gets me is people suggesting yet more European countries that should be added first. I'd venture that if WS were being built today, the over-representation of Anglo & European countries from the 1982 version would be considered unacceptable.

Architecture is a reflection of culture and history, and I understand it's not all about architecture, but most countries' distinguishing icons would be monuments and structures. The Eiffel Tower, the Colosseum, the Taj Mahal, Itsukushima (or any temples in Japan, China, Thailand, etc), the Great Wall of China, St Basil's Cathedral, Stave Church, the White House, etc. just off the top of my head. Most people associate countries with their structural monuments, since they've lasted over the ages, and are linked to the countries history/culture. Natural landmarks would be more difficult to recreate.

I agree that it is probably because of the large amounts of Brazilian guests, and Disney is looking at it from a money aspect. However, I don't think it should draw in a certain crowd, that is from that country. I'm Canadian, and I never visit the Canada pavilion. I'm of Italian and Japanese descent, but I wouldn't be drawn in to Epcot merely because they have these countries there. I want to explore cultures different than my own. I'm already exposed to my own cultures. If they are trying to draw in Latin America, why would they go to Disney if they are living in the actual Latin American countries? They can have the real deal. Anyways, I believe your right, as Disney is probably thinking the same thing that you mentioned. Don't take it the wrong way, I'm not saying Latin America should not be represented ever, or the Australian continent, but it's not most people's first thought.

European countries are some of the oldest countries, with the oldest history. They also held much of the power of the world at different points in history, which led to more art, architecture, influence on the rest of the world, etc, because they had the funds to do so. I wouldn't clump all of Europe together as an over representation of Anglo countries. The cultures in all of Europe are very different, as are most countries within a continent. Most Europeans would find your statement insulting. Look at Russia, China, Japan, and India. I would never say there would be an over representation of countries from the Asian continent, or any continent, since they are all vastly different.

If the 1982 version of WS was made today, I'd argue that it still would be completely acceptable, as it's the first countries that most people would put at the top of the list, if they were limited to a handful of countries.

Anyways, agree to disagree :)

Sir_Cliff

If the 1982 version of WS was made today, I'd argue that it still would be completely acceptable, as it's the first countries that most people would put at the top of the list, if they were limited to a handful of countries.

Anyways, agree to disagree :)
Yes, agree to disagree, I think!

I'm an Australian historian of Latin America living in the Netherlands and I would just say that I have a very different vision of the world than you do. That's not good or bad, but I'd be careful about imputing what "most people" think as it might just be your own world view that you're talking about. To me, what your describing sounds a lot like the late nineteenth century World's Fairs that very clearly represented Europe as the centre of culture and civilisation while everyone on the periphery was either a colonial curiosity or striving to emulate France or the UK.

Last edited:

The_Jobu

There's lots of room to add, but I'd agree they started with the countries that needed to be there at the time is was built, based on their visitors. I can't look at WS and pick one country that could be easily swapped out.

Grazia

Yes, agree to disagree, I think!

I'm an Australian historian of Latin America living in the Netherlands and I would just say that I have a very different vision of the world than you do. That's not good or bad, but I'd be careful about imputing what "most people" think as it might just be your own world view that you're talking about.

Yes, everyone's entitled to their own opinion. Everyone has their own influences and are passionate about different countries and cultures. Based on your background, I see why you would be excited for the Brazilian pavilion.

Sir_Cliff

Yes, everyone's entitled to their own opinion. Everyone has their own influences and are passionate about different countries and cultures. Based on your background, I see why you would be excited for the Brazilian pavilion.
Having been to Rio, I will also say that Brazil is a lot of fun!

On the point about Brazilians wanting to hang out in a Brazil pavilion, I agree it is not a huge draw in and of itself. It is a nice good will gesture, though, to a major market. As an Australian, I can tell you that no-one would be booking a trip to WDW to see an Australia pavilion at Epcot. Knowing my countrymen, though, I can say without doubt that Aussies would be chuffed to see Disney make a little miniature Australia at WDW and it would generate loads of free publicity for the resort which would result in more visitors. I suspect that would also be the case for Brazilians, with a far greater potential upside in terms of visitors.

tribbleorlfl

I'll just leave these here...happy Fourth.

View attachment 213519
View attachment 213520
OMG, it's the Cathedral and National Congress!!! Ever since Brazil was rumored for a pavilion, I've been praying Neimeyer's architecture in Brasilia would be featured. Brazil is so much more than Sugarloaf Mountain, Copa Cabana and soccer.

I said it earlier in this thread, but Brazil is home to some of the most iconic modernist art and architecture, and I think making that a focus would be a smart and very unique alternative to the more anachronistic pavilions already existing in WS.

My question to you, @Lee, is this from the same pitch/time period of the image you shared previously, or is this from a newer pitch?

wdwfan4ver

How about Egypt? now that would be a visually stunning pavilion, and there's so much history there.
Egypt is a bad idea right now. My problem with Egypt is that country isn't exactly a peaceful country right now. Egypt had a revolution in earlier in this decade and we don't know for sure if that country is politically stable.

jpeden

In the Parks
No
Egypt is a bad idea right now. My problem with Egypt is that country isn't exactly a peaceful country right now. Egypt had a revolution in earlier in this decade and we don't know for sure if that country is politically stable.

To be fair, Great Britain isn't politically stable right now…of course I'm still pulling for @MansionButler84 's ride idea of "Snap Election with Theresa May and Friends" for the GB Pavillion.

Carry on.

Dan Deesnee

When the major transformation to Epcot was first announced back at the Destination D event in November 2016 they said that the purpose was to make the park "more Disney, timeless, relevant, family-friendly” I have a very hard time thinking "family-friendly" and Brazil go together exactly. The country has loads of issues with violent crime and drugs, has a very public and booming sex trade, and Carnival is well known for it's nearly nude to completely nude women.

I'm not saying the countries featured are perfect, far from it. What I am saying though is that I feel Brazil would bring a very party-centric vibe to World Showcase that to me just doesn't seem to fit with the direction the direction Disney has said they are going. It won't make it "more Disney" as Spain has an upcoming movie and Brazil does not and based on the Disney movie based rides that are making their way into the World Showcase this wouldn't fit. It certainly doesn't make it more "family-friendly".

Just doesn't make much sense to me. But we'll see. I love the food and it could be a beautiful pavilion if done correctly.

rioriz

India would be a cheap addition to WS....all they would have to do is build a backdrop and project a CGI Taj Mahal on and Kabloom! A new pavillion...

;)

Lee

Adventurer
OMG, it's the Cathedral and National Congress!!! Ever since Brazil was rumored for a pavilion, I've been praying Neimeyer's architecture in Brasilia would be featured. Brazil is so much more than Sugarloaf Mountain, Copa Cabana and soccer.

I said it earlier in this thread, but Brazil is home to some of the most iconic modernist art and architecture, and I think making that a focus would be a smart and very unique alternative to the more anachronistic pavilions already existing in WS.

My question to you, @Lee, is this from the same pitch/time period of the image you shared previously, or is this from a newer pitch?
It's part of the original batch from a few years ago.

Just4Pics

What does that have to do with anything? The pavilion wouldn't be based on the current government of Egypt but instead focus overwhelmingly on the history. Those pyramids have been there for 4,500 years.

Princess Leia

Wasn't the Soviet Union in the works pre-dissolution? I'm pretty sure it was the USSR, not Russia, that could have gotten a pavilion. The US didn't have the coziest relationship with the country, but it shows that current political climates don't have that much of a factor (except for Disney's fear that an Israel pavilion would cause terrorist attacks)

Outside of Morocco, governments don't foot the bill for the pavilions. If there were companies in Egypt that wanted a pavilion (preferably on open pavilion space #2), I don't see why Disney couldn't make it happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom