Rumor Brazil is the frontrunner for a new World Showcase Pavilion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rowlet

India would be a wonderful addition to WS. I've been to India twice and the people are just so proud of their nation and culture and love to share that love with foreigners. It would be fantastic to see a mystical and regal approach to India (think temples, palaces, gardens), so it wouldn't be the rugged, nature-driven, adventurer type feel of AK's Asia section. One can dream. :)

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
I hear José Carioca of The Three Caballeros will be the star and host of a moved and rethemed Tiki Room Serenade serving as the pavilion's main attraction. :cautious: :D

Well, you have supposedly the 3 amigos leaving Mexico....that would be a solid fit. But you also have the rumor of the Tiki Birds leaving....could be re-purposed there as well..... this is just my speculation folks, don't go running with this ;)

I was just joking there But is it such a bad idea?

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
No, I don't think so. I for one love the Tiki room, and love Grand Fiesta, so if they could incorporate either or both, I would love it.

I agree. I think moving Tiki would work well. It would free up space in Adventureland for something else and logically the move makes sense. I'd rather things get shuffled around vs lost indefinitely. It could work. Hope they at least consider it. Two birds one stone!?

jt04

Brazil in WS may mean no South America in DAK. Because Panora also.

I am fine with that personally.

Grazia

Or, why not make Portugal? Brazil was a Portuguese colony, after all.

Portugal's whimsy and ethereal setting already looks like it belongs right in Disney. Pena Palace, I'm lookin' at you!

pena-national-palace-portugal.jpg

palaciopena11.jpg

pena-palace-sintra-portugal.jpg

Mysticism-and-the-occult-inside-the-mysterious-initiation-wells-or-inverted-towers-of-the-Quinta-da-Regaleira-in-Portugal.jpg

Quinta-da-Regaleira-Portugal.jpg

Palace-of-Mystery-Quinta-da-Regaleira-by-Taylor-Moore7__880.jpg

50c09b1c2b6baf145c6cef0fee860bc5.jpg

7132_Castelo%20de%20Almourol2.jpg

49252576.jpg

palace-hotel-do-bussaco-luso-055.jpg

stock-photo-bussaco-palace-48630226.jpg

20a808ae791271c11f23056c634ab5c4--portugal-travel-sintra-portugal.jpg

monserrate-palace-211-8x5-2560x1600.jpg

Fotolia_79840902_S.jpg

castle_sintra.jpg

They can really play off of the Age of Discovery, and sea exploration, or stories of the Knights Templar (I guess that's too religious though)

Or how about Greece? They already have an IP they can throw in there lol.

Grazia

We already have 5 european countries.

Some variety is welcome

True. Point taken.

It's probably because most of these countries are very iconic, or were powerhouses of the world at some point in history. Also the variety of popular cuisine from these 5 European countries makes for successful restaurants. They are all quite different, and I wouldn't say there isn't variety between them, but I get what you're saying.

India or Thailand would be amazing additions, as I saw mentioned above.

How about Egypt? now that would be a visually stunning pavilion, and there's so much history there.

The_Jobu

Agreed. I'm from Canada, and I never go to the Canadian Pavillion. Isn't the whole point of Epcot to explore other places, and learn about different cultures other than your own?

But if you don't go how can you know what America thinks about you???

Madness.

Which is what? Garden rock concerts? Then literally anything could be here and it wouldn't matter.

According to a podcast I heard, imagineers were so worried no Americans would bother to visit World Showcase unless there was an American pavilion, they specifically put it at the top of the loop so you had to walk through other countries. It forces you to learn something.

Also, they surrounded themselves with the Axis Powers. I find that odd.

I feel that tour groups chants should certainly be allowed and even encouraged by Disney.

Just make a big open area and they can all chant to their heart's content and be too tired to chant in other queues.

Sir_Cliff

True. Point taken.

It's probably because most of these countries are very iconic, or were powerhouses of the world at some point in history. Also the variety of popular cuisine from these 5 European countries makes for successful restaurants. They are all quite different, and I wouldn't say there isn't variety between them, but I get what you're saying.
I must admit that I'm puzzled that you keep suggesting that Brazil isn't "iconic" enough as a country to be represented at World Showcase... yet Portugal is?

Surely if you think about Brazil you immediately think of Christ the Redeemer, caipirinhas, Carnival, soccer, samba, carnival, beaches, the Amazon, etc, etc? It's not like they're proposing, say, a Surinam pavilion that might leave people drawing a blank regarding what to expect.

Sir_Cliff

They could do a Pacific Island nation pavilion and feature locations like Tahiti, Samoa, Fiji, etc and then they'd have a natural place for a Moana ride.
That could be a beautiful pavilion. Sadly, I don't know who would pay for it as most Pacific Islands aren't rolling in cash nor are they home to any particularly large companies.

Grazia

I must admit that I'm puzzled that you keep suggesting that Brazil isn't "iconic" enough as a country to be represented at World Showcase... yet Portugal is?

Surely if you think about Brazil you immediately think of Christ the Redeemer, caipirinhas, Carnival, soccer, samba, carnival, beaches, the Amazon, etc, etc? It's not like they're proposing, say, a Surinam pavilion that might leave people drawing a blank regarding what to expect.

When I think of Brazil, I think of Christ the Redeemer, and the beach. There are beaches in many countries, even the ones in Epcot now, which are not represented. Soccer is popular in most European countries as well, I'm Italian, so I would associate soccer with Italy amongst many other European counties, but it's not represented in any of their pavilions. If we are going to use samba as an idea, then why aren't we suggesting flamenco in Spain. I don't think it's really valid, every culture has iconic dance styles.

As for Carnival, I'll agree with you that it's iconic, but again, every culture has parades, festas, fiestas, celebrations, etc that are not really represented in their pavilions. (except Mexico's day of the dead).

I meant in terms of architectural aspects, as they would have to build a physical setting. I doubt they would create the Amazon in Epcot, as they already have AK. It would be sort of odd to have a jungle amongst iconic architectural structures in the other pavilions, or a beach.

When I think of Brazil, I also think of Portugal, due to it's origins lol. I'm not saying they should never make a Brazil pavilion, but It wouldn't be my first choice. I just gave a pictorial list of iconic monuments in Portugal. It's also iconic for it's Age of Discovery. Visually, the Manueline architectural style cannot be compared to anywhere else in the world, as it only exists in Portugal. It's also famous for having a large impact on the Romantic period of architecture.

If you read my other posts, I also suggested Spain, India, Egypt, and Thailand, which are all far more iconic than Brazil IMO. I'm from neither of these places, so I don't have a bias. Anything new would be exciting.. even Brazil lol.

Sir_Cliff

When I think of Brazil, I also think of Portugal, due to it's origins lol. I'm not saying they should never make a Brazil pavilion, but It wouldn't be my first choice. I just gave a pictorial list of iconic monuments in Portugal. It's also iconic for it's Age of Discovery. Visually, the Manueline architectural style cannot be compared to anywhere else in the world, as it only exists in Portugal. It's also famous for having a large impact on the Romantic period of architecture.
Of course we all have our preferences, which are obviously valid. I would gently suggest, though, that the Manueline architectural style and the Portuguese monuments you posted are not well-known to most people. They could easily create a little mock-up of Rio which might lean more heavily on a recreation of natural features than the other pavilions but that would be instantly recognisable to most guests as Brazilian. I'm sure Disney also thinks more broadly than architectural styles when they consider what might make a good pavilion.

Beyond that, Brazil just makes sense for a whole host of reasons. Chief among them is that there are no South American countries in World Showcase, it is the biggest country in terms of population and economy in Latin America, and loads of Brazilians visit WDW. As to why this is happening before, say, India, I suspect it's because they found someone who was willing to pay for it first.

I get Brazil might not be some people's first preference for a new country, but I find it hard to argue that it doesn't make a lot of sense for it to be added to WS. What gets me is people suggesting yet more European countries that should be added first. I'd venture that if WS were being built today, the over-representation of Anglo & European countries from the 1982 version would be considered unacceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom