Rumor Brazil is the frontrunner for a new World Showcase Pavilion

Status
Not open for further replies.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Thanks Marni.

I always thought that the Med was further NE close to the Contemporary and inside the monorail loop. EDIT: Per BocaBear, this was for the Venetian Resort
Venitian and Med were more or less on the same plot of land.

Bocabear

I remember the map on the wall of our Hotel room at the Contemporary when I was a kid... It had the Venetian, The Asian, and The Persian resorts. Did they detail out the plans for these resorts, or were they more or less just placeholders until they figured out what they were going to do?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I remember the map on the wall of our Hotel room at the Contemporary when I was a kid... It had the Venetian, The Asian, and The Persian resorts. Did they detail out the plans for these resorts, or were they more or less just placeholders until they figured out what they were going to do?
Very detailed. The Asian came within months of groundbreaking.

MCast

What are the odds of them ever reviving any of those, in particular? Tokyo Disney Resort's Hotel Miracosta has a Venetian tie. Wouldn't be too far out of the realm of possibility, right?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
What are the odds of them ever reviving any of those, in particular? Tokyo Disney Resort's Hotel Miracosta has a Venetian tie. Wouldn't be too far out of the realm of possibility, right?
Probably never. Certainly not in the original incantations or locations. I know of two designs for the Asian (now the Floridian). Two designs for the Persian (would now offer a view of backstage and the boneyard) plus two designs for the Med on the Venitian site - a site deemed economically unfeasible for use.

wdwgreek

Wouldn't that have been lovely to see! Although I'd be curious how well the idea would have aged now that orientalizing east Asian people is not the best regarded in today's culture. A respectful balance like Animal Kingdom?

AC21075

Really interesting video about the Magic Kingdom resorts that I saw recently. People more knowledgeable than I will have to vouch for its accuracy...

Kamikaze

The original design would cost a fortune to build today.

And it's not DVC :D

They could easily make it a DVC... the way things are going everything is going to have a DVC component before too long.

Is that really the biggest stumbling block? Straight cash homey?

Princess Leia

I'd say the idea of the Star Wars resort is compelling if its an actual themed resort and not a 'giant Star Wars decoration' style value.
Depends on the planet or moon, IMO.
Hoth, Mustafar, and Jakku don't sound particularly appealing in terms of themes. If it wasn't for the flooding in Florida, I could see Disney building (outrageously priced) versions of Luke's Tatooine home. Coruscant would probably be a crowded area (small rooms, lots of people to truly capture that 'planet is a city' feeling).

Alderaan, Bespin, Naboo, Scarif, Yavin 4, or the forest moon of Endor would be appealing in terms of how much like Earth they were (well, maybe not Bespin, but Cloud City would be an interesting concept for Disney to tackle).

Kamikaze

If you deem it compelling, I deem it compelling. So at least there's something to look forward to on that end. (Hopefully not too far off though.)

I think the real question is 'Are they planning on opening a resort around the 50th?'
We know the two coming before (CSR tower and CBR DVC).

Hoth, Mustafar, and Jakku don't sound particularly appealing in terms of themes. If it wasn't for the flooding in Florida, I could see Disney building (outrageously priced) versions of Luke's Tatooine home. Coruscant would probably be a crowded area (small rooms, lots of people to truly capture that 'planet is a city' feeling).

Alderaan, Bespin, Naboo, Scarif, Yavin 4, or the forest moon of Endor would be appealing in terms of how much like Earth they were (well, maybe not Bespin, but Cloud City would be an interesting concept for Disney to tackle).

Jakku and Tatooine are basically the same - too 'bland' for an entire resort. They are out.
Hoth wouldn't work - it would basically be a version of Blizzard Beach at a resort and have to be too 'plastic'.
Mustafar wouldn't work unless they can figure out 'safe lava'.
A Coruscanti tower would be interesting.
Alderaan I think is out because, well, its out. Same with Scarif - we don't know how destroyed the planet is after Rogue One.
Naboo sucks. Please no.
Yavin 4 and Endor's Forest Moon are interesting and possible.

But I think the real possibility and winner would be Cloud City. Futuristic theme, everything white with LEDs in the walls. Windows can transform into TVs/monitors that show clouds and speeders going by. Tower style building(s), which is much en vogue right now for them. Obviously when you leave the tower it breaks immersion, as you're clearly on the ground and not in a city in the clouds, but the in building presentation could be top notch.

Last edited:

bhg469

Some tweaks to the main building and pool area and Coronado springs could be naboo.

I like the way you think!

Princess Leia

I think the real question is 'Are they planning on opening a resort around the 50th?'
We know the two coming before (CSR tower and CBR DVC).

Jakku and Tatooine are basically the same - too 'bland' for an entire resort. They are out.
Hoth wouldn't work - it would basically be a version of Blizzard Beach at a resort and have to be too 'plastic'.
Mustafar wouldn't work unless they can figure out 'safe lava'.
A Coruscanti tower would be interesting.
Alderaan I think is out because, well, its out. Same with Scarif - we don't know how destroyed the planet is after Rogue One.
Naboo sucks. Please no.
Yavin 4 and Endor's Forest Moon are interesting and possible.

But I think the real possibility and winner would be Cloud City. Futuristic theme, everything white with LEDs in the walls. Windows can transform into TVs/monitors that show clouds and speeders going by. Tower style building(s), which is much en vogue right now for them. Obviously when you leave the tower it breaks immersion, as you're clearly on the ground and not in a city in the clouds, but the in building presentation could be top notch.
I almost want to see Disney try a Tatooine resort. :rolleyes:

Sand. Sand everywhere. No pools, water's too precious. You just hang out in your over priced moisture farm condo, sweating it out, drinking bantha milk to try to stay cool.

Actually, that would be a great way for Disney to push people to the water parks.

Endor's moon would be the big hit with the kiddos. A treehouse themed playground would be pretty fun, but staying in an actual treehouse (only like 4 or 5 feet off the ground of course) would be even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom