bottle opener confiscated

matt9112

Original Poster
thought you guys would get a good chuckle.

the bottle opener attached to my key chain (that has been in the parks dozens of times) got confiscated at AK this morning. its an old 308 shell casing with the bottle opening section cut out.
i get it no guns ect ect but an inert novelty? i elected not to return to my car because thats a hassle and its a 5 dollar bottle opener. thus i handed it over :arghh:
security had to call a supervisor to make the call and she didn't even know the policy they had to explain it to her. :cool::cool::cool:

we always here about the security scares so i figured you all would enjoy mine.

edit for theatrics: the security gentleman compared it to brass knuckles...

Bronson55

mickey_mouse_gun.jpg

mergatroid

Whilst it seems kind of extreme they just said you couldn't take it in and gave you the option of putting it back in your car. Even though it couldn't be fired, not allowing it in probably eliminated any tiny chance of it causing panic? If somebody has something looking like a bullet and starts waving it around saying "You see this, I'm going to shoot you with this", it wouldn't look very good regardless of the fact that in reality it couldn't harm anyone.

We live in a world right now where people with bullets will kill complete strangers, the more public the setting the better. Whilst this 'shell case' of yours was harmless, not everyone seeing it would know that and not allowing it in just eliminates the chance of it causing any potential 'scares' later on if you were that way inclined.

Last edited:

matt9112

Original Poster
Whilst it seems kind of extreme they just said you couldn't take it in and gave you the option of putting it back in your car. Even though it couldn't be fired, not allowing it in probably eliminated any tiny chance of it causing panic? If somebody has something looking like a bullet and starts waving it around saying "You see this, I'm going to shoot you with this", it wouldn't look very good regardless of the fact that in reality it couldn't harm anyone.

We live in a world right now where people with bullets will kill complete strangers, the more public the setting the better. Whilst this 'shell case' of yours was harmless, not everyone seeing it would know that and not allowing it in just eliminates the chance of it causing any potential 'scares' later on.

maybe we shouldn't allow society to become so scared of its own shadow?

correcaminos

it has flown on a plane... and when i buy another will likely;y walk into Disney parks dozens of times.
Okay then, just saying you shouldn't be surprised if it gets confiscated in the future. Personally I will just refrain from taking something that I was told wasn't allowed. Like when TSA took a tool of mine I carried many times before, I just stopped carrying it in the future. Not worth it to try to argue over something like a keychain (which is what mine was too).

mergatroid

maybe we shouldn't allow society to become so scared of its own shadow?

I really doubt anybody was scared? I'm just saying if some idiot decided that it would be funny to wave a bullet at somebody in the park and say "I'm going to kill you with this" it wouldn't look very good if later it was found Disney had allowed it in. Sometimes things seem stupid but have an underlying reason, no matter how over the top they may seem.

I take tablets (trihexyphenidyl) for a medical condition and after being searched entering Halloween Horror Nights was questioned about them and asked what they were called. When I told the guy what they were it became obvious he didn't have any medical training and wouldn't have had a clue whatever I'd have told him. However I can see the bigger picture and accept that these things happen for the right reasons however extreme they seem :D

I am Timmy

it has flown on a plane... and when i buy another will likely;y walk into Disney parks dozens of times.
And according to that link, they are on sale right now! You could buy a few, and then just start using your backup every time one gets confiscated. And honestly, it was probably just that particular person and not indicative of all security personnel. You may never have another one taken away for the rest of your life. People are funny.

graphite1326

We live in a world right now where people with bullets will kill complete strangers, the more public the setting the better. Whilst this 'shell case' of yours was harmless, not everyone seeing it would know that and not allowing it in just eliminates the chance of it causing any potential 'scares' later on if you were that way inclined.
Ignorance is the world we live in. It's not a bullet. It's a shell or round or cartridge. The bullet is the projection. If you went into a store and asked for bullets you would get a piece of lead coated with copper, shaped into a cylinder and pointed at one end. In this case it's .308 in diameter and less than 1" long. Most people would know it's harmless unless you have the tool to fire it. In this case a rifle bored and rifled to accept the .308 diameter bullet (notice I didn't say gun. You couldn't fire this using a gun). To wave this around and threaten is just laughable. But again I say it's the ignorance of the world we live in.

mergatroid

Ignorance is the world we live in. It's not a bullet. It's a shell or round or cartridge. The bullet is the projection. If you went into a store and asked for bullets you would get a piece of lead coated with copper, shaped into a cylinder and pointed at one end. In this case it's .308 in diameter and less than 1" long. Most people would know it's harmless unless you have the tool to fire it. In this case a rifle bored and rifled to accept the .308 diameter bullet (notice I didn't say gun. You couldn't fire this using a gun). To wave this around and threaten is just laughable. But again I say it's the ignorance of the world we live in.

I'm fully aware it can't be fired and know the difference between a bullet and a shell case, but not everyone does. We live in the uk where guns aren't as easy to get as in the states, my wife for instance wouldn't have a clue about the difference between a spent round and a live one. I'm not going to debate the rights or wrongs about firearms as that's a separate discussion, however your reply makes me think you know a bit about guns etc. To you it may seem alien or stupid, but somebody showing what looks like a bullet (even without a gun) and saying something menacing could upset somebody not used to weapons.

The chances of it happening are very remote and it doesn't bother me one bit whether somebody takes in it or doesn't, I'll lose no sleep over it. My explanation over why it wasn't allowed in was just a reply to the op who seemed confused as to why it wasn't allowed in, I was just providing a possible answer rather than debating the technical attributes of firearms or ammunition.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
thought you guys would get a good chuckle.

the bottle opener attached to my key chain (that has been in the parks dozens of times) got confiscated at AK this morning. its an old 308 shell casing with the bottle opening section cut out.
i get it no guns ect ect but an inert novelty? i elected not to return to my car because thats a hassle and its a 5 dollar bottle opener. thus i handed it over :arghh:
security had to call a supervisor to make the call and she didn't even know the policy they had to explain it to her. :cool::cool::cool:

we always here about the security scares so i figured you all would enjoy mine.

edit for theatrics: the security gentleman compared it to brass knuckles...

Next time just go through the no bag theater at TTC and keep your keys in your pocket. If there's nobody at the scanner, just turn around for a minute and act like you're waiting for someone until they pick someone else and then go on past.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom