Books on Parks History

TrainsOfDisney

Oh how did I not mention Walt Disney’s Railroad Story by Michael Broggie!!

This is the only book where you will find many of the photos that were provided by Lillian Disney for the book. Must read for and Walt Disney or Disney park fan.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I finally got around to it. Pardon the two photos since I couldn’t fit them all in one shot. And honourable mention to the half dozen others on the top shelf that I forgot about.

C5628273-FBC9-4D79-B1C0-96ADF85D4510.jpeg
39442368-F914-4F6C-A941-ADBBF3E20684.jpeg

muddyrivers

I finally got around to it. Pardon the two photos since I couldn’t fit them all in one shot. And honourable mention to the half dozen others on the top shelf that I forgot about.

View attachment 524771View attachment 524772

Okay Mr. Show Off, we will now need a full listing of title and author of each of these books so we can scour the Internet and find some of these :p

There's a couple in here I don't recognize the covers of!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Okay Mr. Show Off, we will now need a full listing of title and author of each of these books so we can scour the Internet and find some of these :p

There's a couple in here I don't recognize the covers of!
Too much to type but guide me. Second row down third from left or similar.

Shouldigo12

I haven't seen it yet, so I'll throw in Disney War. It's more about the company itself than their product, but it's still an interesting look at what was going on behind the scenes during Eisner's era. I don't know how old you are, but if you're like me and came late to the party you likely don't know the reasons why Eisner is talked about with disdain on here- that book takes you through his early years as the savior of the company and breaks down all of the inner events that lead to him being forced out.

lazyboy97o

I haven't seen it yet, so I'll throw in Disney War. It's more about the company itself than their product, but it's still an interesting look at what was going on behind the scenes during Eisner's era. I don't know how old you are, but if you're like me and came late to the party you likely don't know the reasons why Eisner is talked about with disdain on here- that book takes you through his early years as the savior of the company and breaks down all of the inner events that lead to him being forced out.
Another good book about Eisner is Keys to the Kingdom: The Rise of Michael Eisner and the Fall of Everyone Else by Kim Masters.

Project Future: The Inside Story Behind the Creation of Disney World by Chad Emerson is a very detailed look at how Walt Disney World came to be with a focus on the Reedy Creek Improvement District.

Building a Better Mouse: The Story of the Electronic Engineers Who Built EPCOT by Steve Alicen is a diary of his work during the construction of the American Adventure.

Shouldigo12

Another good book about Eisner is Keys to the Kingdom: The Rise of Michael Eisner and the Fall of Everyone Else by Kim Masters.

Project Future: The Inside Story Behind the Creation of Disney World by Chad Emerson is a very detailed look at how Walt Disney World came to be with a focus on the Reedy Creek Improvement District.

Building a Better Mouse: The Story of the Electronic Engineers Who Built EPCOT by Steve Alicen is a diary of his work during the construction of the American Adventure.
Ooooo. Time to do a little online shopping. Thanks!

Robbiem

For reading ‘the Disneyland story‘ and ‘walt and the promise of progress city’ by Sam Gennaway are great disney history books. Disney War by James Stewart is a very interesting book about the Eisner years and Disney in general rather than just the parks And Bob Thomas’ biography of Walt is another great read.

For coffee table the imagineering books are fantastic, poster art of the disney parks and Walt Disney’s Epcot

lazyboy97o

For reading ‘the Disneyland story‘ and ‘walt and the promise of progress city’ by Sam Gennaway are great disney history books. Disney War by James Stewart is a very interesting book about the Eisner years and Disney in general rather than just the parks And Bob Thomas’ biography of Walt is another great read.

For coffee table the imagineering books are fantastic, poster art of the disney parks and Walt Disney’s Epcot
A good compliment to Walt and the Promise of Progress City that I believe gets into some better detail is Walt Disney and the Quest for Community by Steve Mannheim. Garden Cities of To-Morrow by Ebenezer Howard and The Heart of Our Cities: The Urban Crisis - Diagnosis and Cure by Victor Gruen are interesting reads if one is interested in EPCOT as they are essentially the outline for how the city was to be designed.

The Magic Kingdom: Walt Disney and the American Way of Life by Steven Watts is another good biography that is not much discussed. The focus is not just on Walt’s life but his impact on American culture.

muddyrivers

Too much to type but guide me. Second row down third from left or similar.
First picture:
First row in the back:
3rd book from the left (red cover)
4th book from the left (black cover)

Second Picture:
First row in the back:
Third and fifth books from the left

Third row:
Fifth in from the left (glare makes it hard to read but it looks like a kid looking up at the castle from the side?)

Sixth row (third row from bottom):
Pirate and Phantom Manor books — are those from Disneyland Paris? I've never seen it before but looks fascinating!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom