Booking thru AAA

normbalko

Our first WDW vacation was booked thru AAA, and it seemed like a good deal, with nice little perks here and there. Now that I'm trying to plan a return trip and investigating it a little more, I am curious if anyone has any opinions on booking thru AAA or just booking thru Disney. Or, is there a better alternative? Thanks for any input, we're planning on going Feb. 2005 and staying on-site, probably at Pop Century.

slappy magoo

I guess it depends on how long you're planning on going, how many people in your group (any kids/parents/sibs coming along?), what you plan on doing, and if you would wind up using any of the perks that come with the AAA packages...

With a little research (like here, or mousesavers.com) you could save more money going "a la carte" getting the tickets yourself, booking the room yourself, and picking and choosing the things you know you will do.

We were planning an 11 day/10-night trip. Based on that alone, it made sense to get annual passes. Then we got a ridiculously cheap rate on our room, we're getting really good discounts on Cirque du Soleil, and if we wind up going back before our year is done, even a few weeks before the expiration date, we don't have to worry about getting into the parks, just getting there and lodging. Which, as I said, is potentially VERY cheap with the annual pass. Some guides say that, for the discount on rooms alone, sometimes it's worth it to get at least one annual pass in your party even if you're only staying for 3 nights (though I'd guess that'd make more sense if you were staying in one of the more deluxe hotels). But if you're going for 6 or 7 days or so, it might be worth it to do that anyway. Then go to expedia.com or a similar site for airfare (if you need it), you can get decent rental car rates with an annual pass, too.

Something else to consider, IF you wind up getting an annual pass: Getting a discounted rate for a cabin at Fort Wilderness. You'll have a full kithcen where you can prep a lot of your own meals (saving big bucks), and they sleep 6 (again, I don't know how many are in your family, but even if you have one or two kids coming with you, those Pop Century rooms can be a mite cramped). You'll be a ferry ride away from the Magic Kingdom, access to one of the best meal deals in WDW, and plenty of other recreational activities, definitely more than at Pop.

Upvote 0

DisneyNme

I think that going through AAA would be the easiest. I booked a trip to WDW back in febuary through AAA and i got all the perks and was under 1000.00. 940 bucks to be exact. givin that we do have a layover on our flights but that was my own thing. Another thing that is cool about going through AAA is that if any Special offers come out, like for instance 5 + 2 offer. I originally didnt have that deal (5+2) with my reservation, AAA hooked us up with it and it cut 100 bucks off a person. And I have 7 Adults going with me! You could problably do this on your own, but why not have AAA do it?? its not going to cost you anything for them to do it. You tell them what you want.....you get exactly that. :D

Upvote 0

MichRX7

Premium Member
Yep, it just depends how much *hands on* you want to your Disney experience. If it's one of your first few trips I'd say AAA would be a great way to book things. I've been so much I usually have a pretty good idea of what/when/where/how/why I want things for the group I'm bringing down so I prefer to research and get things on my own (plus is there any better topic to research yourself) :D

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Either Way

AAA is fine for many reservations, direct to Disney also works well, and if you want a little help and inside knowledge a good travel agency like Kingdom Konsultants (on this board) can do a good job for you.

The one thing to remember is that whichever route you take, you have to make any changes through them. For example, to change dates or whatever from a AAA reservation, don't call Disney. Working directly through Disney might give you more flexability if you aren't sure about all aspects of the trip.

Upvote 0

Rcoaster809

I am going down to Disney the end of July, and we origionally had a room-only reservation through AAA, but we bought annual passes, and switched to an AP room rate. I did everything else on my own looking for discounts wherever I could find them, including airfare. In the end, I don't know how much I saved by doing everthing on my own. Depending on how many people are going, how long you are staying, and what you want to do, makes booking everything on your own eather really easy, or really difficult. I love looking up everything on my own and calling myself, but it takes a lot of time. I think it really is personal preference of whether booking yourself or through a travel agent is best. You should explore all options, because some travel agancies can get special things, like the AAA lounge.

Sorry for the long length. I hope this helps.
Nathan

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

Sometimes I feel that you can do better by doing a little research and not going through AAA. Get a quote from them, but see what else you can find. You may also want to consider the other things AAA "throws in" and if you really need them. Some of those perks can cost you money you don't want to spend.

Upvote 0

normbalko

Original Poster
I'd never thought about getting an annual pass. It's just me and my wife, and we're planning on staying on-site for 5 days. I wonder if an annual pass is something to think about...

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

For 5 days staying at Pop Century...an AP might not be the way to go, unless you knew for sure you'd be going back within a year.

However, according to mousesavers.com, there is a Buy 5, Get 2 Free deal. The link wasn't working for me, but I think they include Premium Park Hopper Passes (good to get in anywhere for the length of your stay). If you have the time to stay for 7 days, AND only pay for 5, I'd say jump on that. The offer expires June 28th, and if the link has information that means you're ineligible to use it, I apologize in advance.

Upvote 0

David

Out last three trips and our October trip this year have been booked through AAA. I just like the ability to call our travel agent, tell her when we are going, how many, where we want to stay, and let her do all of that for us. I could probably save a little by going elsewhere and doing the work myself, but I don't think we would save THAT much. This year, I did check into doing it all myself and booking the hotel and airfare separately instead of the Disney package, but we didn't save that much money. After we had booked, the agent called us with the 5+2 offer and made the change for us with no hassle. We recomment AAA.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom