Booked at Saratoga for honeymoon, should I move?

doombuggyfan

Hi, 1st time post. I've been trying to find the answer to this on various sites and forums and finnally realized I should just ask the question.

A little background. I went to Disney twice with my parents in the 80's when I was 10 and under. I had some very good memories of those trips and remember Mom and Dad kind of cutting loose there which was out of character for them. They've both passed on and I appreciate those memories more now. My finance went there once as a little girl (6ish) with her parents and grandparents and they still talk about it to this day. I decided last December I wanted to go to Disney for my 30th birthday, and my finance was ecstatic. I proposed a week before we left and that made the trip even better. We started talking about honeymoons and initially didn't want Disney since we were just there and felt our friends would think it was too childish. But after talking about our December trip over and over and over again we thought why the hell not? I'm a little worried (and really excited) that we might turn into one of those families that go ever 2-3 years.

My fiance and myself are booked to stay at the saratoga springs resort from Aug29-Aug31 checkout in a 1 bedroom suite. From Aug31 to Sep 5th we're booked at Saratoga in a regular room. The reason we switched mid-trip is finances. We couldn't afford a Grand Floridian, but wanted something more romantic then a value.

Our plan from the 29th to 30th is some private time honeymooning :D, and from the 31st of Aug to Sep 4th we're planning on hitting the parks. The reason we chose Saratoga was because we loved the rooms look and the fact that it was away from the parks and more subdued theming. We both love Disney stuff, but thought a Mickey Mouse statue on the nightstand might put a damper on some of the romance.

I've heard nightmare stories about Saratoga springs for the bus schedule though. For those 5 days we are getting out to the park neither of us wants a 45-60 minute commute each way. We can switch our room to Wilderness Lodge from the 31st to sept 5th for an almost identical price, I loved the look of it and the boat transit to the MK (since 80% of our park visits will be MK & Epcot). However when I spoke to the Disney travel agent while booking, she told me since Saratoga isn't usually that busy that time of year theres a VERY good chance we'd get bumped up to the 1 bedroom suite our entire trip simply so they don't have to go through the hassle of moving us (plus its a honeymoon and our 1st stay at a resort)..

So we're at a loss what to do. We like Saratoga because it's not as heavily Disney themed. At the end of the day after being around kids and Daisy Duck all day we like the idea of going back to what looks like a more conventional room. We like that it's close to Downtown Disney if we feel like having a drink or my new wife feels like a little shopping. Plus the fact that theres a strong chance we'll get bumped up to the 1 bedroom the whole trip is enticing. But we're worried about being stuck waiting for buses all the time when the time comes to start seeing the parks. I'm definitely wowed by the looks of wilderness lodge, and like the fact that it's closer, but worried it might be too kid themed for our honeymoon.

Anyone have any suggestions what to do? Or another option I haven't considered?

Thanks for your time, sorry this post got so long.

Jeff

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Just a couple of points here....

1. Never, ever count on a free upgrade. Free upgrades are only given due to operational needs of the resort. If you are counting on that upgrade to make it worth it you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

2. In regards to transportation....If you are getting on a bus in Disney count on a 45-60 minute trip pretty much anywhere. There is no perfect resort that has quick transportation everywhere. No matter where you stay there will be places that take a while to get to. SSR is very close to DTD but it will take a while to get anywhere else. GF is close to MK, WL is close to MK, Boardwalk is close to Epcot and DHS, etc, etc. If long transportation times are a deal breaker you will want to stay at a resort close to where you intend to spend the majority of your time or look at renting a car.

3. Most of the moderate and above resorts are not overly Disney themed with maybe the exception of CBR but all will have a little mouse here and there. If you want a complete absence of all things Disney you might want to look at the Swan and Dolphin.

Upvote 0

Doug7856

We are DVC members and most of our vacations since 2004 have been at SSR. We have never experienced more than a 25 minute wait at SSR. The buses run in a circle stopping at Grandstand, Paddock, Congress Park and then the Springs. The bus is often full at the Springs.

I recommend that you request the Congress Park section with a Downtown Disney view. It's a short walk to DTD and to the Carriage House where the themed pool, restaurants, etc. are located.

SSR is a wonderful location and you will enjoy the serenity, great pools, and landscaped areas. The one bedroom is wonderful. Make sure they note that you are celebrating your honeymoon on the reservation.

You will love SSR!

Upvote 0

dixiegirl

We're DVC members with Saratoga being our home resort....WE love it!
We love the fact that it is a Disney resort but to us , but yet Mickey and friends are'nt splashed all over(if thats what your looking for)...

The buses we've found aren't really a problem ...Anywhere you stay as mentioned by another post you will wait anywhere from 5-25 min....depends really all how its timed....Our favorite area to stay is in Congress park...Close to DTD, its a nice walk away!

Upvote 0

sittle

Saratoga is a great resort.... Love it! It does have a good location next to Downtown Disney, lots of fun options there as well for dining... I don't think Saratoga has enough dining options, maybe they aren't as appealing to me as some of the other resorts.

I've only had a 20 minute bus wait once or twice, and I've stayed there for a total of 3 weeks over the years... We usually go in off season, but we've never had a transportation issue. You can always walk over to the bus loop at downtown, they may come more frequent there. .. I've last visited in 2006.

Another option could be the Boardwalk resort... the rooms overlooking the boardwalk itself facing towards Epcot are spectacular, and you can sit on your balcony and listen to Illuminations in the evening and watch the fireworks.

Enjoy the wedding and honeymoon!

Upvote 0

stlbobby

SS is one of the quietest most romantic resorts on property and perfect for a honeymoon. The WL is great, but it is much busier and you will encounter way more families.

As Master Yoda said no matter where you stay you will always be close to some things and far away from others. Bus rides are just part of a WDW vacation. During a week long stay you will always have some long waits for buses and some shorter waits. It is just the nature of the system. I have never experienced one resort to have consistently long waits or any to always be prompt. One of my best weeks for luck with buses was at All-Star Movies, but that resort has the worst reputation for bus service. It is all luck of the draw, except that more buses run early and late. So if you get up to go to the parks before or near rope drop you will have better luck than if you wait until afternoon.

Some of the advantages are; SS is adjacent to DD. It is home to one of the best spa's at WDW and the clubhouse for one of the golf courses. Anf the Turf Club gets consistently good reviews, especially for those looking for an adult refuge. If you stay in the buildings near DD you have great views and a short walk to the DD buses, a great advantage when you are trying to go from one resort to another.

If you have the time and funds schedule a couples massage or a spa day for your new wife at the SS spa. It is a short walk from anywhere in the resort and can be a wonderful treat that will reap dividends for you years later.

Also take a look at one of the dozens of threads concerning romantic restaurants and experiences for some great ideas. Or ask one of the many experts that haunt these boards we, and I include myself humbly next to many of the others, are always happy to help. Feel free to message or e-mail me with any questions you have.

Good luck and have a great time. WDW is the perfect place to start a new life together.

Upvote 0

wolf359

As many have said there's no perfect resort when it comes to bus service, and frequently the deluxe resorts have some of the worst service of them all. But almost all of the deluxe resorts make up for spotty bus service by having at least one easy park transportation method, like the monorail resorts near the Magic Kingdom, or the resorts connected by boat to EPCOT Center and Hollywood Studios.

To me the down side of Saratoga Springs is that the nearest attraction, Downtown Disney, isn't much of an attraction in my opinion.

You may want to choose a resort closer to your favorite theme park, so you'll at least have some convenience, and take the bad with the good on transportation elsewhere.

I stayed at the Contemporary for my honeymoon and found being within walking distance to the Magic Kingdom and a short monorail ride to EPCOT absolutely great. While it certainly has some character theming, I didn’t think it was too strong and the overall feel of the resort is fairly adult. Having the California Grill just right upstairs, and the panorama of the entire Magic Kingdom right outside of our window was extremely memorable.

The EPCOT-area resorts, Yacht Club, Beach Club, and Boardwalk, are all very nice, don’t have a lot of character theming, and being in the middle of WDW property are centrally located to everything. I’ve stayed at the Swan before, and I didn’t find it very appealing. It was a little TOO “un-Disney” for my taste.

Upvote 0

jeffk410

it will still be fun its disney!, but ya don't ever count on an upgrade... I've been to Disney over 25 times and still no upgrade, but whats wrong with beign one of those families that go 2-3 a year? :shrug::ROFLOL:

Upvote 0

littlered

We were at SSR last week and never had any trouble with the buses. The longest wait we had was maybe 10 minutes and the buses were never full.

We stayed in the Paddock area but used the Congress Park bus stop since it was closer to our room. We have stayed in Congress Park and the Paddock on different trips and have decided we prefer Congress Park for future trips.

The resort is beautiful and fairly quite.

Upvote 0
Downtown Disney resorts do seem to take a longer time to the parks. But it all depends - the more money you spend doesn't necessarily determine your bus service - Pop is one of the cheapest hotels on property and I've never waited more than 15 minutes for a bus anywhere, and our longest bus ride was 20 min because of it's central location.

But you two definitely seem to want privacy and less "themed" resort - I think SSR sounds perfect. And you could be one of those couples who cuddles on the bus to the parks... :lookaroun;)

Upvote 0

scottnj1966

Wilderness Lodge is not chidlish looking at all.
Its a replica of an old resort at Yellowstone.
I have stayed many times and I love the feel of being somewhere else but still home in Florida.

Restaurants are nice too.
Water pagent comes by at night also.
If the main pool is to busy, a little walk to the quiet pool near the Wilderness Villas is a nice place to go.

You do not have to take a bus when you stay at Wilderness.
You can take the boat right to the Magic Kingdom.

You can take a boat to the Contemporary, jump on the monorail and then transfer to the Epcot monorail line.

Wilderness Lodge Pictures

Then from Epcot you can actually walk or take another boat to Disney Studios.

The only place you would need to take a bus is Animal Kingdom.

Upvote 0

Disneykidder

Toured SSR and it was fun and beautiful. I don't think you will feel like you are in Disney.

Eaten at WL and loved it. We didn't think it was childish. It was rustic, woodsy and I don't think that is geared towards anyone in particular. It is cool.

Go for what your hearty says and enjoy it but as others have said, don't bank on an upgrade. It may happen and it may not.

Upvote 0

MsMouse726

First off, let me say congratulations are your upcoming marriage:sohappy:!

Next, let me assure you that you will not regret your decision to spend your Honeymoon at WDW. My husband and I spent ours there four years ago and had a great time (and I think we are about your age now, 29 & 28). Of course, we took the slack from some about going to Disney of all places for our honeymoon, but we didn't care. We love it and had a blast. I think the only people that associate it with being childish are the ones that have never been or haven't been in awhile. It is so much more than that.

We stayed at SSR three years ago and really liked it. Like others have said it's not overwhelmingly Disney, so of all the official Disney resorts, I think you've picked a good one. It's very quiet and peaceful, and I'm sure you will find your "honeymoon" time there to be enjoyable and relaxing. I don't remember the bus waits being ridiculously long, except for one time and I think it was a one time thing. We stayed in the Springs section and had no problems. I would recommend this section or Congress Park which is close to DTD. The view is beautiful.

If I were you I would stick with my decisions and have a good time!

Upvote 0

dizzney

Personally of the two resorts (stayed at both) my favorite is the Wilderness Lodge, and that if the themeing and the location to MK.

I love being close to a park, that always makes our trip better,

But for romance and laidback atmosphere in my book, both resorts tie,

And dont count on an upgrade, you may not get it

Upvote 0

mickeysshoes

I would change to the WL. It is a great place to stay for a honeymoon!! They do weddings there....how much better can you get. We will be there this Aug and i will asking my honey to marry me all over again!! If, oh when he says YES I will start planing for our 2011 trip and palning for a quite WL family vow renewal!!! That is our home away from home!! Wooded trails for long walks or bike rides. Sit by the huge fireplace and ignor the rest of the world while you plan the rest of your time together. Great boat rides to the MK once your ready to ventur out. :sohappy:

Upvote 0

wolf359

My mother and stepfather got married and honeymooned at the Wilderness Lodge. Disney treated them like royalty, they had a beautful service, and a really nice honeymoon.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom