News Bob Iger talks about attendance declines, ticket pricing, the feud with Ron DeSantis, and his huge optimism for Disney Parks and Resorts

Willmark

Funny enough - I actually agree with you about the "trust" thing, and only mentioned it because usually when this topic comes up, someone will chime in with a link to some survey that shows how "trusted" Disney is among companies we we must not know what we are talking about, and I just wanted to head that silliness off at the pass, LOL.

In general, though - I'm starting to fear that you are right about A, B, and C. Up until relatively recently, I did believe there was a C - and I saw evidence of that in a number of instances where companies were just ignoring the social media pundits (which is all A and B really are) and doing just fine (and even record profits on some projects).

It felt like a realization was dawning where everyone was waking up to the fact that social media isn't life, and at the least isn't actually reflective of consumer behavior. That praise or outrage from A or B weren't actually affecting profit margins, or the actual success of projects. Things that were endlessly praised on social media ended up financial duds, and things that had massive, unprecedented boycott campaigns ended up being massive best sellers.

But...the last few months, man - I don't know any more. Everything is just so messy. Entertainment products are really the least of it. Culturally, politically, structurally...things are coming down. And so fast, that a lot of people aren't really noticing. It's two-fold - no one can keep up with it all to begin with, and many just don't want to see the change that is coming, or have faith that it will all just "work out".

All of this chaos at Disney is but a small microcosm of what is going on across the country - and the world. It's enough to make you just want to hunker down and clutch your favorite old Disney movies, while you watch it burn.
^100%

It’s everywhere. Disney is just part of it. I have reasons as to where the blame for this lies but I’ll leave it at that.

Companies are better off staying out of the fray as it were as there is no stance that will please everyone. Far better to just say “no comment“ than to give one side or the other ammo as it were. Sure some people will be PO’ed, but far less than getting both sides in an uproar. Disney on the other hand has managed to alienate both camps and its manifesting itself in different ways.

Like the movie Wargames says: “Strange game, the only winning move is not to play.” Companies would be wise to heed that.

AEfx

Disney started lecturing its customers and half are in the process of abandoning them. In reality, it's much more than half because Disney's customer base was always comprised far more of one political ideology and that's the one they started fighting with.
I don't think this is incorrect, but I do think it's less about the overall percentages of customers and their political leanings, but that those customers who are affected and making statements with their wallets right now seem to perhaps be among those who spent the most (and therefore matter in the profits the most).

Let's face it, no corporation takes political stances and produces politically controversial material for the good of mankind. They do it because they think it's going to increase sales. And by and large, it just isn't the profitable strategy. The people they are trying to impress aren't the ones who spend gobs of money on their products. Millions of people might give a thumbs up to something on social media, but that doesn't translate to profits if it's not a product they regularly spend money on to begin with.

AEfx

There is also no guarantee that talented workers will work for whatever the company says they deserve. This is the entire union which is way more than actors.
There are many, many more talented people out there than there ever could be jobs for them, and with the wonders of YouTube, etc. today - they are not difficult to find.

I'm not unsympathetic to some of the things the unions want, nor do I think they are undeserving of some of it, but this golden gate they are trying to keep up around Hollywood is just crumbling.

And it isn't just actors, you are right. Look at the kid that Disney hired last year - when they did the "pros" at Lucasfilm did the Luke Skywalker deepfake on Mandalorian, it was pretty decent - and then this guy does a 10x better job on his laptop in a week, than the millions of dollars and months Disney probably spent paying to do it. He posted it on YouTube, and now he's doing it for real at Disney.

Talent is everywhere, and easy to find these days - it's no longer gatelocked to those that pick up everything and move to LA or NY.

Dranth

C doesn't work when your employee base/workforce has been taken over by A or B. Bud Light sits there and keeps its mouth shut and sells to A and B. But Executive A says publicly, "Bud Light's customers really suck because they are all Bs ... and we really need to totally remake our customer base," and all the Bs stop buying the product. The cashier at McDonalds may have political leanings, but they aren't lecturing the customer when he's buying a Big Mac. The same with hundreds of companies across the country. But the instant the employees feel embolden to start picking fights with the customer base? The company is no longer going to be patronized by both A and B; it becomes one or the other, not both.

Disney started lecturing its customers and half are in the process of abandoning them. In reality, it's much more than half because Disney's customer base was always comprised far more of one political ideology and that's the one they started fighting with.
Disney isn't lecturing anyone. They want everyone's money but they literally can't do anything without some whiny rage filled segment of the public reading way too much into something and taking it as a personal affront. That is just how it goes now a days.

So, if they are going to lose half their customers anyway (which we know it is no where near that number) I say good riddance. Less people increases the value of a park visit significantly. Besides, I have no patience for the myopic aggrievance culture that has taken over certain segments of the population.

AEfx

Disney isn't lecturing anyone. They want everyone's money but they literally can't do anything without some whiny rage filled segment of the public reading way too much into something and taking it as a personal affront. That is just how it goes now a days.

So, if they are going to lose half their customers anyway (which we know it is no where near that number) I say good riddance. Less people increases the value of a park visit significantly. Besides, I have no patience for the myopic aggrievance culture that has taken over certain segments of the population.

What is so telling about our culture right now, is that this post could be about either side of the aisle, and one would have no idea which one, since both are doing the same exact things, just in (very slightly) different ways.

It just so well encapsulates why the rest of us look to one side, then look to the other, then just shake our heads and go back to our own business. We will let them duke it out, because they both are so constantly filled with outrage, both think the other are evil incarnate, that they are either going to do themselves in, or at the very least just finally fall over in exhaustion from running around all day screaming at everyone, like the toddlers they have become.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Screenshot_20230714_142801_Chrome~2.jpg

Dranth

Did they leave out the key detail being reported elsewhere that the picture seems to be of stunt doubles that are taking a group photo? Not going to give the Daily Mail clicks to find out but if they did, props to them, if not, not surprising.

Either way, I am sure all the people who have decided to hate this movie for what I am sure are a variety of very good, well thought out and mature reasons will still hate it.

Tha Realest

Did they leave out the key detail being reported elsewhere that the picture seems to be of stunt doubles that are taking a group photo? Not going to give the Daily Mail clicks to find out but if they did, props to them, if not, not surprising.

Either way, I am sure all the people who have decided to hate this movie for what I am sure are a variety of very good, well thought out and mature reasons will still hate it.
So you’re confident they left out a key detail without checking the source? The story does mention at least two are stunt doubles (including the picture of Snow White). If anyone’s been caught lying here, it’s Disney.

Either way, the costumes look garish, and are presumptively similar to the ones worn by the principal actors.

Incomudro

Oh no...
They are lecturing.
There's at least one video featuring several people in the company talking together and saying that is exactly what they are doing.

Trauma

As much as I despise Bobby Thesaurus, he has a point.
We are the victims here. We are being victimized by a very greedy entity,” Drescher said about SAG-AFTRA. “I cannot believe it, quite frankly: How far apart we are on so many things. How [the studios] plead poverty, that they’re losing money left and right when giving hundreds of millions of dollars to their CEOs. It is disgusting. Shame on them.”

Excuse me SirLink but are you overlooking the fact that Fran is a victim?

Shame.

seascape

Yes, Bob Iger will make about 32 million a year for the next 3 years. However, how much did RDJ make for Ironman? Actors are not worth that much and the stars should take less money so the rest of the actors make more. Why is any actor or athlete worth millions a year. Disney has been paying way too much to make its movies. Everyone has to take less, including Iger. On the otherhand maybe the income tax rate should go back to 90% on all income over $5 million a year with no deductions for any income over $1 million. No one should feel sorry for people making that much money.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom