News Bob Iger talks about attendance declines, ticket pricing, the feud with Ron DeSantis, and his huge optimism for Disney Parks and Resorts

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
& Iger ride off into the sunset as the "Hero" who saved Disney ;)
1689345251503.jpeg

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I feel the only thing worse then Disney parks run by Iger right now is then being spun off and being sold.

Six Flags Magic Kingdom over Florida
That’s really what companies do with “commodities”…and that’s what parks are - their most tangible day to day commodity
Outside of the bubble here (not saying you) there are vastly different opinions of Disney. I have a feeling it would likely be shocking to some folks in this site just how Disney is viewed and how much their trust factor has fallen in 2 short years.

Suffice to say, Disney very much has a problem on their hands. Some of their own making, some not.

YMMV.
Oh that’s a lot of the disconnect in “arguments” on Disney forums. They don’t pay attention to the big downswing in PR outside the chamber they’re taking

This isn’t 1955…or 1990…or even 2015

They don’t look good. Look too aloof, incompetent, and their costs are being questioned more than I can recall in a handful of decades on this space rock.

They are making Comcast look “good”

You know what a feat that is???

Last edited:

DisneyHead123

The thing about selling the parks is that they are a major funding source for the media portion of the company - and I don’t see them wanting to just give up “one of the world’s biggest media companies” status. That would essentially mean disbanding the company altogether.

I do think that Wall Street prefers easy money that is made mostly on paper, vs. the real time and energy that goes into providing a tangible service at the theme parks. But the parks are the rich aunt who is funding this project at the moment, so they have to plaster on a smile and play nice with them.

AEfx

Outside of the bubble here (not saying you) there are vastly different opinions of Disney. I have a feeling it would likely be shocking to some folks in this site just how Disney is viewed and how much their trust factor has fallen in 2 short years.

Suffice to say, Disney very much has a problem on their hands. Some of their own making, some not.

YMMV.

It's not even just the last two years, though - but I agree, people here tend to have a very warped view of what "normies" actually think about Disney as a company. It may still rank well on surveys of "trusted brands" but the truth is - even the most "trusted" brands aren't trusted very much. It's like saying "the most trusted member of congress" - when the trust overall maxes out at 20%, it's not saying much.

And it's from all sides of the spectrum - from people who think Disney represents crass commercialization of, well, everything, a dumbing down of culture, a greedy corporate monolith who wants to train kids to be "good consumers", of promoting the "my prince will come" tropes to kids, to the more recent objection from other groups over content, and so on. Even the rest of Hollywood can't stand them, especially the elites who insist that they have ruined the movie business for everyone else with Marvel, and so on.

I also agree that some of it is their making, and some of it not - but the idea that Disney is this beloved entity outside of fandom just doesn't jive with what you see and hear in the real world. That's why the extreme politicization of Disney in the past couple of years has been so interesting, because people that can't stand them on many other issues have jumped ship to the other side - and vice versa - vacillating based on whatever social media tells them the groupthink of the moment is.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The thing about selling the parks is that they are a major funding source for the media portion of the company - and I don’t see them wanting to just give up “one of the world’s biggest media companies” status. That would essentially mean disbanding the company altogether.

I do think that Wall Street prefers easy money that is made mostly on paper, vs. the real time and energy that goes into providing a tangible service at the theme parks. But the parks are the rich aunt who is funding this project at the moment, so they have to plaster on a smile and play nice with them.
The concept here is not Disney selling parks…it’s selling everything

They have probably 5 years of struggle ahead of them without an economic downturn…

So the only way Iger can ego bump himself is to sell it all

Willmark

It's not even just the last two years, though - but I agree, people here tend to have a very warped view of what "normies" actually think about Disney as a company. It may still rank well on surveys of "trusted brands" but the truth is - even the most "trusted" brands aren't trusted very much. It's like saying "the most trusted member of congress" - when the trust overall maxes out at 20%, it's not saying much.

And it's from all sides of the spectrum - from people who think Disney represents crass commercialization of, well, everything, a dumbing down of culture, a greedy corporate monolith who wants to train kids to be "good consumers", of promoting the "my prince will come" tropes to kids, to the more recent objection from other groups over content, and so on. Even the rest of Hollywood can't stand them, especially the elites who insist that they have ruined the movie business for everyone else with Marvel, and so on.

I also agree that some of it is their making, and some of it not - but the idea that Disney is this beloved entity outside of fandom just doesn't jive with what you see and hear in the real world. That's why the extreme politicization of Disney in the past couple of years has been so interesting, because people that can't stand them on many other issues have jumped ship to the other side - and vice versa - vacillating based on whatever social media tells them the groupthink of the moment is.
I agree with almost all of this except the trust part.

Yes the scale is as you describe but Disney’s tumble down the rankings is shocking.

Somewhat related- I’ve said for a while now Disney is going to have to choose which customers they want because the answer used to be “all of them” and by and large they succeeded.

Not anymore.

As you note there are some aspects that we can’t discuss here but… it’s decision time Disney it’s either bucket A or folks in bucket B. There is no C.

Personally- I’m on the outside looking in, my wife is the Disney fan, I just like being on vacation. I’m more of a Pixar fan from TS1 to about TS3 or thereabouts. So in a way I have no personal vested interest in what happens, more of an observing role.

Last edited:

AEfx

Hollywood is going to cease to exist as we knew it before this strikes. There's going to be a major, major paradigm shift in the industry.

And unfortunately a ton of people are going to lose their jobs.
That's a great big - "Yup!"

I don't think people realize the transformation that is going on around us, in so many industries. As always (I need a hat that says this...), the pandemic accelerated trends that were already happening.

People are going to be writing books for many years to come about the "Great Transformation" going on right now.

Yes, a lot of people are going to lose their jobs, especially in the middle, middle-upper tiers. Companies have already spent the last decade or so bringing the front of the line, on the ground jobs to their breaking points by staffing as a little as possible. They can't squeeze any more out of that end, so they are moving up the toothpaste tube.

A lot could be said about why the current state of Hollywood is what it is - why budgets are so high, and how it's gotten so out of control - and it's not just because of executive pay.

One interesting thing to think about - you notice how it's always the creatives who have union problems in Hollywood? Everyone on a Hollywood set is unionized, with dozens of trade unions, yet...they never come up because they are very happy. They have such sweetheart deals in place that have movie sets way over-staffed. If you start to look up the rules as to how many people they require you to hire (you can't just have one camera assistant, you have to have 3, etc.) it's really eye-opening.

I have friends who work on movie sets every day and their biggest complaint is boredom, because most of the time you work a few minutes every few hours. They are long days, but most of it is doing absolutely nothing, when if one person was allowed to do the tasks required they could replace 4 or 5 of the jobs that the union mandates they have. And they literally are not allowed to do anything else - they can't touch anything, they can't even hold a dang door open for someone. In a few select circumstances (prop weapons, or electrical work, etc.) that makes sense, but it's just everywhere. The goals of all the trade unions have always been to make sure the movie sets are employing as many people as possible.

Thing is, Hollywood can afford creatives to go on strike, but not them - so those bloated costs are not going anywhere. With the creatives - let's face it, they can all be replaced by YouTubers. We are far from the days where you had to schlep out to LA or NY to be discovered. There are so many content creators out there across the spectrum - actors, directors, writers, etc. There are very few names these days that sell tickets or streaming subscriptions on just that name alone. And there are a nearly infinite amount of aspiring talents out there in all the creative fields that are just a click away - it's just finding the ones that don't suck.

That's why the studio's are totally willing to play hardball with them. That said, obviously, while they are replaceable, they are not completely irrelevant - and as it goes on public opinion is going to be interesting. On one hand, at the moment it's very much "support the unions!", but on the other - once the content drought really hits (and Iger is right on that one, they were just beginning to recover from the pandemic, and this is really catastrophic) and people are sick of hearing about it, it's going to be hard to find sustained support from the general audience.

I mean, the average writer in Hollywood makes $250K a year. Sure, some make less, but some make more - and while writers will tell you about all the costs of living in LA (at least to their preferred lifestyle...) - it's really difficult for the average person who makes $50K a year to have an endless amount of sympathy, regardless of how much they want to stick it to the corporations. Especially when they aren't getting any new movies or TV shows for a year or more because of it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom