News Bob Iger Steps Down - Bob Chapek CEO

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Yes that is correct but I do not think the Disney Board micro manages Iger.

That was because Iger was both CEO and Chairman of the Board previously.

Chapek may need consultation and approval from mother Iger. So Chapek looks like a puppet CEO.
Think of this as a trial period to see if Chapek has the chops to run a large conglomerate like TWDC. He has until Dec 2021 to prove himself, if he doesn't then Iger can be reinstated as CEO and they find someone else.

mandelbrot

That was because Iger was both CEO and Chairman of the Board previously.

Think of this as a trial period to see if Chapek has the chops to run a large conglomerate like TWDC. He has until Dec 2021 to prove himself, if he doesn't then Iger can be reinstated as CEO and they find someone else.
In that sense it could be put-up-or-shut-up time for Chapek. Either he's got what it takes to guide the company into the future or he doesn't. This could result in Chapek's tenure with TWDC coming to an abrupt end next year. Glass half full.

Snow Queen

It is unusual, but not unheard of if the contract still hasn't run out. I just wonder what triggered this? Why did Iger suddenly decide he needed out after he repeatedly wrangled contract extensions in recent years? I would sincerely hope this wasn't triggered by bad medical or personal news for Iger.

And it's "Effective immediately". :oops:

Assuming its not an immediate health concern that caused this, Iger is no spring chicken and maybe he just realized he only has so much longer to enjoy life? If I was him I would have left at 65 and gone to play tennis and take naps for the next decade or two.
Maybe he just wants out, but I think it's legacy for Iger. He doesn't want to have the hit from the Corona virus as the last word on his career with the company. He wants to go out on Galaxy's Edge and the best year they've had at the box office with a record number of billion dollar movies, among other successes. Let Chapek take it, slash budgets for a few years while Iger makes sure the projects he wants to finish get done from a side 'creative' position. I expect Chapek's tenure will be quite short as a result.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
In that sense it could be put-up-or-shut-up time for Chapek. Either he's got what it takes to guide the company into the future or he doesn't. This could result in Chapek's tenure with TWDC coming to an abrupt end next year. Glass half full.

Correct, not everyone is meant to run a large multinational media conglomerate like Disney. So we'll see if Chapek has what it takes. This might be a very short tenure, or it might be long like Eisner and Iger. Only time will tell....

Disney Analyst

Original Poster
Here's the interview that aired on CNBC a few hours ago. This is rather painful to watch, and Mr. Chapek looks like he is about to throw up. Their words and talking points are very predictable, but this is still really weird.

And Iger's just chilling. He's already picturing the Mai Tai's on the beach he'll be drinking. He will get to sleep in until 6:30 now before working out.

NateD1226

Here's the interview that aired on CNBC a few hours ago. This is rather painful to watch, and Mr. Chapek looks like he is about to throw up. Their words and talking points are very predictable, but this is still really weird.

Honestly, I don't think he was expecting this. I don't think he is ready either. He looks and sounds very worried. He sounds like he very afraid that he is gonna mess the company up. I don't want to say that he will mess everything up, but I just hope he relaxes and takes a step back to think about everything before making big decisions instead of being frantic and rushing to approve stuff.

disneylandcm

And it wouldn't be so bad if he was at least likable.
I was in TDA awaiting the start of a meeting when I slowly stood up to clock in. As I was doing this Mr Colglzier walked by and our eyes met. (It was the first time I had ever seen him so I probably looked impressed.) He looked at me and said “You needn’t rise.” It was hilarious and ‘douchey’ all at the same time.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The only thing I want to know is if Chapek is going to reverse Iger's decision to have MBs only at WDW. Not that I want it to come to DLR, but I know a lot of people on this board would be chanting Chapek's name if that happened.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

mother-of-god-super-troopers.jpg

el_super

If you don't want to give him a chance, that's fine. Have it your way.

Dont worry... They will still go to Disneyland.

The post-Iger succession plan has always been murky and fairly dramatic over the past 10 years, but we've never seen a Parks Chairman actually get the top spot before.

Eisner and Iger have both been pushing Parks guys to run the company for years. They seem to put a lot of faith and trust in the parks guys to run the company. And there's certainly a little strategy in promoting someone from parks, as promoting anyone from the studio side has a huge potential to step on some big Hollywood egos. Far more diplomatic to have a Hollywood outsider run the company.

Yes that is correct but I do not think the Disney Board micro manages Iger. Chapek may need consultation and approval from mother Iger. So Chapek looks like a puppet CEO.

All CEOs have to report to the Board of Directors. The Board is elected by the shareholders. All company officers are thereby responsible to the shareholders.

TP2000

I was in TDA awaiting the start of a meeting when I slowly stood up to clock in. As I was doing this Mr Colglzier walked by and our eyes met. (It was the first time I had ever seen him so I probably looked impressed.) He looked at me and said “You needn’t rise.” It was hilarious and ‘douchey’ all at the same time.

That's hysterical! And yes, that 'D' word was thrown around quite a bit for him, but I tried to keep it vaguely civil in my summary earlier in this thread.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom