Bob Iger returning to Disney as CEO?

lazyboy97o

I wonder if this is coming out now cause the board reupped chapek, so they aren't going back and begging Iger to be the savior of the company like he hoped? God forbid I defend Chapek, but I wonder if Iger set him to fail so he could be begged to come back and look even better. Chapek didn't fail as bad as Iger hoped, so now he's in damage control to preserve the reputation he wants another way. I don't know, any respect I had for Iger is completely gone with his hissy fits now.
I don’t think he set Chapek up to fail. Bob for awhile was building the image of himself as the reluctant leader, selflessly leading because others asked him to not because he sought it for himself. For awhile he claimed he wanted to retire but agreed to stay on while they looked for a successor. Then it was him stepping in to help navigate things with COVID. Despite a passing endorsement from Oprah (I believe that’s who it was), the primaries showed there likely wouldn’t be an appetite amongst Democrats to nominate a near billionaire for a major office. Then there was the angling for some sort of nomination by Biden (again, being asked to serve) and it didn’t happen. He expected people to come running to him for leadership and they haven’t. So now he’s moping around lashing out at the only target he can attack for his newfound irrelevance.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

I wonder if this is coming out now cause the board reupped chapek, so they aren't going back and begging Iger to be the savior of the company like he hoped? God forbid I defend Chapek, but I wonder if Iger set him to fail so he could be begged to come back and look even better. Chapek didn't fail as bad as Iger hoped, so now he's in damage control to preserve the reputation he wants another way. I don't know, any respect I had for Iger is completely gone with his hissy fits now.
With all the conspiracy theory's that are currently going around in our society, that is just as believable. The man is a multi-millionaire if not billionaire that owns an island in the Caribbean, a yacht the size of most peoples houses so why do you think he would ever want to continue on with the bull that comes with being CEO of Disney. He is youngish, healthy and rich. I don't think he really cares even a little about what happens to any of the Disney Parks. If he has any goals, other than piña colada's on the yacht, it is for some political office and his only reason for even making a comment is to fortify to all that don't like Chappy that he certainly wouldn't have done it that way. That in spite of the probable fact the he was instrumental in designing the things that are going on now.

EPCOT-O.G.

With all the conspiracy theory's that are currently going around in our society, that is just as believable. The man is a multi-millionaire if not billionaire that owns an island in the Caribbean, a yacht the size of most peoples houses so why do you think he would ever want to continue on with the bull that comes with being CEO of Disney. He is youngish, healthy and rich. I don't think he really cares even a little about what happens to any of the Disney Parks. If he has any goals, other than piña colada's on the yacht, it is for some political office and his only reason for even making a comment is to fortify to all that don't like Chappy that he certainly wouldn't have done it that way. That in spite of the probable fact the he was instrumental in designing the things that are going on now.
I don’t think you’re appreciating the personal crisis someone of his stature (and ego) experiences once he goes from the center of the entertainment world to an afterthought. All that money is great, to be sure, but when he’s ultimately ignored or forgotten? A lot of people of his past status have struggled mightily with that.

Lilofan

I don’t think you’re appreciating the personal crisis someone of his stature (and ego) experiences once he goes from the center of the entertainment world to an afterthought. All that money is great, to be sure, but when he’s ultimately ignored or forgotten? A lot of people of his past status have struggled mightily with that.
How do you come up with an assumption like a lot? Worth almost a billionaire , he probably won’t have much worries about being forgotten when he moves on. Like some billionaires some don’t just rest on their laurels. Some are looking to get into another venture / investment etc and there are groups looking for the ultra wealthy to fund their start ups , investments etc.

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

You got super successful, super rich folks like Iger who begin to believe the hype about themselves and can’t just appreciate what they have done for themselves and be done and enjoy retirement.

It’s too bad really.

Most folks work all their whole lives just live comfortably day to day, hopefully with a few vacations in between, until they are broken and then they die..

Goofyernmost

I not only appreciate it, I live it. My family is on it's own, my career is over, I am 74 years old and just play around on chat rooms. However, that was my choice and if I really wanted just the attention, I would have had multiple opportunities to do that and that is without his millions+. He has all the assets and name to have a whole new career if he wanted to. He could make himself the center of attention if he wanted. He no longer needs Disney physically, but he needs his reputation to be on an impressive level in the event that he strives to get back in the spotlight.

Robbiem

You got super successful, super rich folks like Iger who begin to believe the hype about themselves and can’t just appreciate what they have done for themselves and be done and enjoy retirement.

It’s too bad really.

Most folks work all their whole lives just live comfortably day to day, hopefully with a few vacations in between, until they are broken and then they die..

if the guy wants to do something with his life - give back to charity and help less fortunate people rather than just doing things to feed a huge ego and moaning about how the next generation isn’t as good as you were

its amazing how many ‘successful‘ people are guilty of huge hubris, it shows how the really classy people know when to walk away and not look back

LSLS

And the guy spent a lot of years getting rid of any potential successors, and pushing back his retirement date. I think the bigger question is why you think he wouldn't want to continue on given that previous evidence and the fact he is now pushing that the new guy is awful?

Goofyernmost

And the guy spent a lot of years getting rid of any potential successors, and pushing back his retirement date. I think the bigger question is why you think he wouldn't want to continue on given that previous evidence and the fact he is now pushing that the new guy is awful?
I told you why. We shall see, but that guy may have a big ego and picking a successor that is dumber than a bucket of rocks suits his obsession with always being better. That doesn't mean he wants to take what is left of his life and wrestle with the BoD, Wall Street and the constant crap that goes with being in charge of something the size of Disney. He may want to shine in some other place but Disney seems to be a hot mess right now, why would anyone want to deal with that. Besides that the Share Holders and BoD are doing just fine at the moment. Yes, there are complaints from a lot of people that they do not care even a little about, profits are through the roof, Share holders are wetting their pants with joy and it is only us that think that Chappy is a problem.

MagicHappens1971

Iger is a coward. He ran away from the company so that if the pandemic and the economic effects of it that would effect the company wouldn't tarnish his "legacy". I don't think he necessarily set Chapek up to "fail". But I think he set him up as a scapegoat in case things went really bad, and I don't think he should be out here saying any of these things, as they ran any other worthy successors out of the company over the past few years.

lazyboy97o

Iger is a coward. He ran away from the company so that if the pandemic and the economic effects of it that would effect the company wouldn't tarnish his "legacy". I don't think he necessarily set Chapek up to "fail". But I think he set him up as a scapegoat in case things went really bad, and I don't think he should be out here saying any of these things, as they ran any other worthy successors out of the company over the past few years.
What worthy successors? Strategic planners like Rasulo and Staggs?

IanDLBZF

I feel like Chapek or Iger may go to jail for corruption sometime in the next few years, just watch.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom