Bob Iger returning to Disney as CEO?

JoeCamel

Pack some patience and get used to the FL heat and eventually going to experience prep, ride out and post hurricane clean up. But their salary will go a lot more in COL in FL as opposed to high COL CA.
As opposed to fires, landslides and earthquakes......

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
But their salary will go a lot more in COL in FL as opposed to high COL CA.
To an extent, but Florida's housing costs have shot up exponentially in the past year.

I've been doing research for my next move, and doing apples to apples comparisons (similar size/type housing in similar neighborhoods with comparable amenities) I have found rentals in Orange County CA for comparable prices to Orange County FL, and 10-15% less than what I'm paying right now in Coral Gables, FL (upper middle/upper class city just west of Miami)

Lilofan

To an extent, but Florida's housing costs have shot up exponentially in the past year.

I've been doing research for my next move, and doing apples to apples comparisons (similar size/type housing in similar neighborhoods with comparable amenities) I have found rentals in Orange County CA for comparable prices to Orange County FL, and 10-15% less than what I'm paying right now in Coral Gables, FL (upper middle/upper class city just west of Miami)
There was a wrote up that some WDI relocating from CA were paying all cash to buy homes in Winter Garden FL approx $315K. Homes in their area in CA were averaging $900K.

mkt

Premium Member
There was a wrote up that some WDI relocating from CA were paying all cash to buy homes in Winter Garden FL approx $315K. Homes in their area in CA were averaging $900K.
Those homes are long gone. Take a peek at Zillow, they're closer to $500k now, in an area where wages are far lower than Socal.

wishiwere@wdw

Those homes are long gone. Take a peek at Zillow, they're closer to $500k now, in an area where wages are far lower than Socal.
Winter Garden has gone through the roof (it is a great place to live!) in the past year. So much so that we never could have afforded to move here had we not done it years ago. Homes in our neighborhood have recently sold for over 700 while we paid less than half of that a few years back. Still, between the lower property taxes and not having state income tax, I’m sure many of these folks can make it work. There are also many affordable options just a little further out; depending on how open you are to a commute (which admittedly will probably suck lol).

mkt

Premium Member
Winter Garden has gone through the roof (it is a great place to live!) in the past year. So much so that we never could have afforded to move here had we not done it years ago. Homes in our neighborhood have recently sold for over 700 while we paid less than half of that a few years back. Still, between the lower property taxes and not having state income tax, I’m sure many of these folks can make it work. There are also many affordable options just a little further out; depending on how open you are to a commute (which admittedly will probably suck lol).
Having grown up next door in Windermere, it still shocks me how they've changed Winter Garden. As a kid, people would refer to it as. "Winter Garbage".

wishiwere@wdw

Having grown up next door in Windermere, it still shocks me how they've changed Winter Garden. As a kid, people would refer to it as. "Winter Garbage".
Haha I’ve heard many similar tales. It’s definitely come a long way from even the 2010’s. Ironically, being where I’m originally from, I actually prefer the vibe and grittiness that WG has. It’s right on the edge of quaint, gritty, small city with a mix of the suburbs lol. Basically, not perfect.

We feel very fortunate to live where we are and do not plan on going anywhere for a very long time. That said, I do feel terrible for those that either need or want to relocate here because options are slim and what little there are tend to sell very quickly. It will also be interesting to see how this little experiment goes for Disney as I could see them slowly lumping other groups in with the move if it goes well (aka- saves them money).

mkt

Premium Member
Haha I’ve heard many similar tales. It’s definitely come a long way from even the 2010’s. Ironically, being where I’m originally from, I actually prefer the vibe and grittiness that WG has. It’s right on the edge of quaint, gritty, small city with a mix of the suburbs lol. Basically, not perfect.

We're looking at returning to Orlando later this year, but Winter Park, to give ourselves a buffer from the park.

brodie999

Reports say Bob Iger is unhappy with Bob Chapek being his successor and regrets putting him in that role. Maybe he'll have to come back and retake his position at least for a few more years.
https:///2022/07/bob-iger-chapek-hiring-ceo-ld1/

Anteater

Reports say Bob Iger is unhappy with Bob Chapek being his successor and regrets putting him in that role. Maybe he'll have to come back and retake his position at least for a few more years.
Back when the transition was moving forward, all we heard was how great Chapek will be as CEO. Don't get me wrong. Chapek inherited Iger's leadership and direction for all of Disney. He's just continuing to turn that crank. Iger made two major steps forward for the parks in his investment in Pandora and Galaxy's Edge. Both were knee-jerk reactions to what was happening down the street. Even during Iger's time, TDO knew the rumblings of Epic Universe (maybe not the name, but definitely the concept) once USO purchased and destroyed Wet N Wild. Yet, here we are, six years later, with no strategic plan for the parks. But, they're more crowded than ever before and turning profits hand-over-fist. So, short term, they're OK. Genie+ is a best-seller along with ILLs. So, people must love it. Regardless of who is at the helm, the direction isn't going to change. Adjustments to Genie+ will be made. But, no major investment. With a 50% market value loss over the last year, can you really expect them to?

LSLS

Dude is trying to save his legacy by saying he's not responsible. It's a continuation of everything Iger began. Aside from a few PR missteps, I've seen absolutely nothing that I don't think would have happened with Iger in charge.

Nubs70

If Bob The Elder was so fantastic and his sucession planning so thorough, why would the Board want him back?

Last edited by a moderator:

TheEPCOTHistorian

In the Parks
Yes
Chapek is Iger's stooge. The problem Iger has is that it's not well received. Thus the regular garbage articles in THR. This is getting embarassing.

Whether you have an issue with Chapek or not. Iger's conduct since the beginning of 2020 is gross.
Iger's conduct has been this way for a while. He has a major lack of integrity. The issues we face now are just lush plants from the seeds he planted.

JoeCamel

Iger trying to prop himself up by digging his own grave is an interesting strategy, to say the least.
Like a job interview question that wants your biggest fault - if you don't come up with some mea culpa it isn't a valid answer. Bob says he made a mistake (or it is said he said) with Bob and he gets to move on with his future.

MerlinTheGoat

Chapek deserves every sub-atom of animosity thrown at him. An off the charts embarrassment. That said, these are some hilarious remarks coming from Iger, cowardly little rat who abandoned ship to avoid the responsibility of navigating Disney through Covid. Leaving a stupid greedy flailing chump to inevitably fail to deal with the mess left behind (knowing he would mess up). All while Iger heckles the gormless clod from the safety of his ivory tower. Cretinous skid marks, both of them.

LSLS

I wonder if this is coming out now cause the board reupped chapek, so they aren't going back and begging Iger to be the savior of the company like he hoped? God forbid I defend Chapek, but I wonder if Iger set him to fail so he could be begged to come back and look even better. Chapek didn't fail as bad as Iger hoped, so now he's in damage control to preserve the reputation he wants another way. I don't know, any respect I had for Iger is completely gone with his hissy fits now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom