News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

PirateFrank

Simply put, this is phenomenal news for anyone who loves WDW. Does it mean that everything is suddenly going to be perfect? Of course not. But there is no reasonable argument that this isn't an instant massive upgrade.

instant, massive upgrade? You do realize that the vast majority of Chapek's moves over the past 2 years were basically Iger initiatives that were ham-fistedly delivered by Chapek? The only difference between these two is in careful vs painful presentation of bad ideas. Nothing more. Iger tells you its raining while he's urinating on your back. Chapek made you watch.

Most of us would rather stay dry....

Smiley/OCD

Why does everyone want a 5th park when they can't maintain the thematic integrity of or properly maintain the parks they have?
Automotive analogy…it’s like having an 8 cylinder p/u that’s in such bad shape it’s only running on 6 cylinders and instead of repairing the engine, you go out and buy a 10 thousand pound trailer to make a cross country trip…fix what you have before you take on a new project.

The Disney boat is rocking in a category 4 hurricane with no anchor…Iger was brought in to ride out the storm. You don’t hire a captain who just got his boaters license to take the ship..:

SpectreJordan

Yeah. But the marketing definitely isn’t helping. The weren’t confident in Encanto either and they were wrong. The folks making these marketing decisions seem out of touch.
The marketing team for the animated movies needs to be restructured. Encanto didn't look too interesting from the trailers, but it turned out to be pretty good. Strange World doesn't look very good either, but hopefully it'll end up good.

GimpYancIent

There is no reasonable argument to say this is an instant massive upgrade. Most of the last 5 year decline at WDW was put in place by a combination of Iger, Chapek and D'Amaro. Two of those are still present. Chapek certainly had his short comings, as did/does Iger - especially when it comes to the parks.
True! Think about it though. It is a strong statement about how low Chapek had taken things when bringing back Iger (out of retirement) is looked at as a serious upgrade.

Jason McBrien

Difficulty

Part of the issue I think some people are missing is the scope of the Walt Disney company.

Currently the CEO of the Walt Disney Company is in charge of:
- Six large theme parks
- A cruise ship line with it's own islands and ports
- A travel company
- Four streaming services
- A music label (or two?)
- Multiple movie studios, along with theatrical and home movie distribution networks
- Multiple cable and broadcast television networks
- Multiple advertising, merchandising and licensing departments

Along with a slew of miscellaneous properties - movie theaters, brick-and-mortar and on-line stores, book publishing, magazines...

How, exactly, do you manage something like this? What qualifications do you need as a CEO to run a company like this? The answer, in my opinion, is that it is unmanageable. It's far, *far* too large.

The single best example I can come up with is the god-awful video advertisement they did for the Star Wars hotel. Disney is the single largest media company in the world, and the advertisement for their ultra-premium hotel property looked like it was produced for community access cable TV. The one thing that Disney, as a whole, should be able to do competently is put together an advertisement. The fact that, apparently, the theme park division can't make a call to corporate and get help putting together a really nice video for their premiere hotel shows that something is broken in the Disney management structure.

The entire company needs a reorganization. Chapek was not the person to do it. I don't think Iger is the person to do it, either.

CaptainAmerica

So I called Disney to ask if I could use gift cards to pay for Genie Plus.

The women who answered the phone was the happiest customer service rep I have talked to in awhile.

While she was “checking” she was even singing Disney songs.

I asked her if she worked from home or an office. She said they where in an office building.

I asked her how everyone felt this morning now that the Villian that was running the company into the ground was fired.

Her response I did not expect since I assume it’s a recoded line.

She said everyone was hugging and giving high fives. She said cast members where so happy some had tears of joy.

Think about that for a minute.

This guy was so hated by his employee’s they are crying freaking tears of joy that he is gone.
Of all the things that never happened, this never happened the most.

Raidermatt

There is no reasonable argument to say this is an instant massive upgrade. Most of the last 5 year decline at WDW was put in place by a combination of Iger, Chapek and D'Amaro. Two of those are still present. Chapek certainly had his short comings, as did/does Iger - especially when it comes to the parks.
This is a decades long decline. It has moved at varying speeds. Under Iger it was, generally speaking, moving at a slow pace. Chapek rapidly accelerated the pace.

So I expect an upgrade in the sense the pace of decline will slow again. Iger is also able to maintain morale at a much higher level than Chapek. This will also have a positive impact.

So all in all, I do agree. There is no reason to expect a massive upgrade, instant or otherwise. But Chapek was just another level of "bad", at true nightmare scenario in so many ways.

I expect things will feel a lot better in the near future, then the chipping away will come back into focus.

JusticeDisney

I will take anyone over Chapek. Literally anyone. And I thought he was so bad that, again, literally anyone is an instant massive upgrade, including Iger. Just my $.02 anyway.

OrlandoRising

While I agree that Iger's return should not be oversold as if all the board's dreams are coming true, let's also not forget this board's perspective and how it may deviate, significantly, from the average guest's perspective and priorities.

JusticeDisney

instant, massive upgrade? You do realize that the vast majority of Chapek's moves over the past 2 years were basically Iger initiatives that were ham-fistedly delivered by Chapek? The only difference between these two is in careful vs painful presentation of bad ideas. Nothing more. Iger tells you its raining while he's urinating on your back. Chapek made you watch.

Most of us would rather stay dry....
Totally disagree. I didn’t say Iger was the end all, be all. What I’m saying is that anyone over Chapek is a huge upgrade, because that’s how bad Chapek was. Just my opinion.

Fido Chuckwagon

Lol, Chapek found out on Sunday that he was fired, on Sunday, effective immediately. I recognize Iger is going from worse to bad, but damn that is a satisfying end to the reign of the worst CEO in the history of the company.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom