Bob Iger "I don't think Figment is going anywhere any time soon, I promise"

Magenta Panther

I don't like Channing, but I don't feel like entirely demonizing him either. If anything, he's basically a Mr. Banks/Mr Darling figure that has to deal with Figment after whatever circumstances brought him out of the Dreamport dimension into the world of Disney's mad scientist comedies and eventually learns not to be so stuck up and joyless.

By the way, that sentence is basically how I'd handle the character in a hypothetical Imagination movie if one were to take an Epic Mickey-style perspective and turn the ride's history into a story.

Now look at that scene. Why can't today's Hollywood make family movies that are that clever and entertaining? Family movies today are full of fart jokes and smartass kids. (I blame Nickelodeon). And as far as parenting is concerned, yeah, he was too rigid and too unloving and neglectful, but when it comes to discipline, I know a few kids who could use a dose of Mr. Banks. ;)

Last edited:

SirLink

I don't agree. While the scripts are certainly bad and that doesn't help anything, I still don't think they're the right voices for these attractions.

I feel Imagination worked best in its original form, or some variation of that anyways. I can't even begin to think of a new concept different from the original ride that could come anywhere close to properly capturing the essence of imagination itself like the original did. And I think the original ride would have still been a fantastic ride even today (just with a few minor plusses and tech upgrades here and there). Dreamfinder was a fantastic character, similar to Merlin in a lot of ways (including the voice). I don't think Eric Idle would make a good new version of Dreamfinder, nor can I think of any worthy replacement ideas for the pavilion that he would fit properly in.

Even if the current concept of Imagination had been given a better script and taken to its full potential, it's still a bad core concept and wouldn't have come close to capturing the true spirit of Imagination like the original ride did.

Spaceship Earth works best when it's a sweeping and epic experience. Intellectual, philosophical and almost trance like. Jeremy Irons got it perfect. His was a really soothing and otherworldly, yet epic and sophisticated voice and performance in addition to an incredible script. While the new script is certainly terrible and intellectual vapid, Judi Dench's sharp sounding voice doesn't help matters and further removes me from the experience. It's a bad script and a bad choice for the role. And while my favorite narration is the Jeremy Irons version, i'd still take Walter Cronkite's voice over Judi Dench's. Though again I think Irons was the best narrator out of them all. He absolutely nailed the tone.

I do want to mention that i'm not at all against a female voice as the SSE narrator. I just don't think Judi Dench works. Kate Mulgrew I think would make a really good choice, or perhaps even Gillian Anderson.

Your just anti-British ;).

But honestly Dame Judi Dench's voice is absolutely fine and in my British ears sounds grander more charming than others.

Turtle

Now look at that scene. Why can't today's Hollywood make family movies that are that clever and entertaining? Family movies today are full of fart jokes and smartass kids. (I blame Nickelodeon). And as far as parenting is concerned, yeah, he was too rigid and too unloving and neglectful, but when it comes to discipline, I know a few kids who could use a dose of Mr. Banks. ;)
Pixar and Disney animated films?

Dragonrider1227

I vote David Tennant for new Dreamfinder.
I approve of this idea :D
That would bring the kids to Epcot XD

They also shown The original ride during Tony Baxter's Presentation..

They wanted footage of the original ride and didn't just ask Martin Smith? XD
Disney should put that on DVD and sell it at the parks. I can see the packaging now.
"Hey mom and dad! Show your kids that once this ride was awesome!" :p

asianway

I approve of this idea :D
That would bring the kids to Epcot XD

They wanted footage of the original ride and didn't just ask Martin Smith? XD
Disney should put that on DVD and sell it at the parks. I can see the packaging now.
"Hey mom and dad! Show your kids that once this ride was awesome!" :p
Martin must not be on the approved social media shill list.

TinkerBell9988

So, I dunno...why wouldn't they just bring back Ron Schneider to do it? And for that matter...Chuck McCann is still alive...anyone know anything about these two? I think Ron gets my vote...I mean...come on! Hasn't anyone else seen this?

I do know that Billy Barty died some time ago...and Dave Goelz provided the current voice...which, seems okay... So yeah...thoughts?

Actually, 'nuFigment' was voiced by Corey Burton in JIIwF.

TinkerBell9988

Not sure, but according to Walt Disney Archives, It was Corey Burton who did the voice for the most recent version of the attraction. Perhaps David Goelz handled some things in between when Billy Barty passed and the new attraction was designed?

FigmentJedi

Archives is wrong, it's David Goelz. Slow Figment's voice in the current ride down and you get Gonzo.

Unless if Corey Burton did that Figment segment for that nuImageWorks "Giant Camera" show that was removed, or he was the Figment voice for JIYI (which is plausible that they could have mixed up, after all the Birnbaum guide was describing the current ride having the Imagination Scanner for years until they fixed it), their information is faulty.

Last edited:

TinkerBell9988

Archives is wrong, it's David Goelz. Slow Figment's voice in the current ride down and you get Gonzo.

Unless if Corey Burton did that Figment segment for that nuImageWorks "Giant Camera" show that was removed, their information is faulty.

As per Steven Vagnini of the Walt Disney Archives:
Bay Lake Properties (@CountyRd535)
8/18/13, 9:23 PM

Corey Burton did a *fantastic* job voicing Figment in Journey into YOUR Imagination... He sounded very much like Billy Barty!

FigmentJedi

As per Steven Vagnini of the Walt Disney Archives:
Bay Lake Properties (@CountyRd535)
8/18/13, 9:23 PM

Corey Burton did a *fantastic* job voicing Figment in Journey into YOUR Imagination... He sounded very much like Billy Barty!
Just as I speculated when I edited my post. JIYI is version 2 though, not the current ride. So the progression is Billy Barty (original)-> Corey Burton (on the "Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts" of Disney rides) -> Dave Goelz (current), plus some anecdotal stuff online claims Jeff Bennett did Figment on House of Mouse though I don't recall him ever showing up on that show.

FigmentsFangirl

So, I spoke with a wonderful CM named Bob {never could see where he was from on his tag!} And learned that as far as he knows {he works there at the Figment Ride} its a rumor that Figment is going to be leaving, so many people complained when Figment was removed from the ride years ago, and since they brough him back the complaints ceased. BI here, the new head guy, can only do so much. But as far as the fans are concerned, if Figment poofs from the ride, there will be many complaints.

Its bad enough they stopped doing the Figment Meet & Greet

So I shall still treat the rumor of Figment disappearing as just that, a rumor. I do however hope the little tidbit I provided here will be helpful!

Captain Neo

They got rid of the Meet & Greet because giant Figment made no sense. Seems like they were at least in the mid/late 00s considering bringing back a proper figment/dreamfinder m&G

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom