Bob Iger "I don't think Figment is going anywhere any time soon, I promise"

Cmdr_Crimson

I'll be much happier seeing Nigel get removed....My imagination was ruined when he step foot into it.
Dr._Nigel_Channing.jpg

FrankLapidus

Did anyone else get a bit choked up while watching this?? :cry:

There's definitely something that is incredibly nostalgic about seeing both Figment and the Dreamfinder. I've always loved Figment as a character and seeing him with the Dreamfinder and the reception they get is a reminder of just how much Disney screwed up in destroying such a great attaction.

BlueSkyDriveBy

This is what's so frustrating about the mutations JII has gone through. There was nothing wrong with the basic story. It just needed refreshing and newer technology to make the riders go "Wow!" again.

We all have modern versions of Dreamfinder in our media. The one that easily comes to mind is Dr. Artie Nielsen on Warehouse 13. The archetype is strong in our culture, the older and wiser mentor type with terminal curiosity. Dreamfinder didn't need to be removed, just updated for modern audiences.

And don't get me started on minimizing Figment. The one original EPCOT character that's readily accessible to the young kids. They love him because he's like them. He's their conduit into all of the 'adult' stuff in EPCOT. What the heck was Disney thinking? Kicking him out of a role that was mainly supportive, positive, and respectful of youthful ignorance, only to bring him back as comic relief in the form of a prankster to be ridiculed and laughed at? Way to miss the point, Glendale.

The attraction desperately needs a makeover via a 21st century refresh of the original story. In fact, Warehouse 13 would be a good place to start for inspiration. Dreamfinder piloting his Dream Catcher in a never-ending quest for the "artifacts" of imagination. And there we are, the riders, interacting as his agents. Bring on those MagicBands! Make them recoup their ridiculous R&D expense outside the retail venues!

There you go, Disney. As Truman Burbank would say, "That one's for free." :happy:

the.dreamfinder

Was there ever talk of doing a 50 million dollar renovation of the existing attraction and legally calling it a new attraction back in the 90's? I guess Disney and Kodak's lawyers needed to use their imagination!

tongaloosh

This is what's so frustrating about the mutations JII has gone through. There was nothing wrong with the basic story. It just needed refreshing and newer technology to make the riders go "Wow!" again.

We all have modern versions of Dreamfinder in our media. The one that easily comes to mind is Dr. Artie Nielsen on Warehouse 13. The archetype is strong in our culture, the older and wiser mentor type with terminal curiosity. Dreamfinder didn't need to be removed, just updated for modern audiences.

And don't get me started on minimizing Figment. The one original EPCOT character that's readily accessible to the young kids. They love him because he's like them. He's their conduit into all of the 'adult' stuff in EPCOT. What the heck was Disney thinking? Kicking him out of a role that was mainly supportive, positive, and respectful of youthful ignorance, only to bring him back as comic relief in the form of a prankster to be ridiculed and laughed at? Way to miss the point, Glendale.

The attraction desperately needs a makeover via a 21st century refresh of the original story. In fact, Warehouse 13 would be a good place to start for inspiration. Dreamfinder piloting his Dream Catcher in a never-ending quest for the "artifacts" of imagination. And there we are, the riders, interacting as his agents. Bring on those MagicBands! Make them recoup their ridiculous R&D expense outside the retail venues!

There you go, Disney. As Truman Burbank would say, "That one's for free." :happy:
Well said!!

TinkerBell9988

You know Baxter said something weird during his D23 presentation.

Around the 49 minute mark....what is he talking about? The other guy on stage just stays completly motionless and kinda briefly nods afterwards.

He was referring to the Legends Ceremony that would happen the next day.

Seabasealpha1

At the same time...for my own thoughts...

I can't see them tearing out the track on this ride...I think honestly, it'll be like test track...they'll use as much existing infrastructure as they can...heck, they might even dig up the old track under the floor... I'm sure they'll not close down the pavilion totally...that'd be really bad for guest relations as a small army of fans will call bad show for TWO empty future world pavilions...there's just no way they'd chance that...

There's just no telling right now...they seem to swing one of two ways:

1. Level the whole mess and start over (example: Mission Space...most dignified way for an attraction to close)

2. Cheap overlay crap-tactular that makes it worse ( I write about two examples in my blog...the seas and the current JII)

and I guess there's a small bit of a third option...

3. what they did to test track...it was pretty tasty...I can't lie there...I like it...lot less 90's feeling...more futuristic...and we still half-way learn something...

aladdin2007

At the same time...for my own thoughts...

I can't see them tearing out the track on this ride...I think honestly, it'll be like test track...they'll use as much existing infrastructure as they can...heck, they might even dig up the old track under the floor... I'm sure they'll not close down the pavilion totally...that'd be really bad for guest relations as a small army of fans will call bad show for TWO empty future world pavilions...there's just no way they'd chance that...

There's just no telling right now...they seem to swing one of two ways:

1. Level the whole mess and start over (example: Mission Space...most dignified way for an attraction to close)

2. Cheap overlay crap-tactular that makes it worse ( I write about two examples in my blog...the seas and the current JII)

and I guess there's a small bit of a third option...

3. what they did to test track...it was pretty tasty...I can't lie there...I like it...lot less 90's feeling...more futuristic...and we still half-way learn something...

Or they could completely cover the current ride track with new flooring and just add a meetngreet and say its temporary with a new ride sometime in the future for a future generation,,,,oh wait that was snow white........well wouldnt surprise me in the least if they did the same thing here. It would be the final nail in epcots coffin as far Im concerned. Though I hope and pray for stated option #3 of some sort but they just dont seem to have what it takes anymore, if there were a sponsor like testtrack then would make a huge difference. But under TDO or park managements control they probably just want to close it to save money. Im sure the convention teams would love to get their hands on the place.:banghead:

Last edited:

Dragonrider1227

I hope they don't take out Imagination. I already spend most of my time in Epcot at World Showcase. They don't need to help on this >>

For now I'm just glad figment is staying!!!!
I know, right? I'd like to see a refurb but I'll take mediocre Figment over no Figment at all
I'm getting older and my memory sometimes plays tricks on me, but, when the original Imagination ended and was replaced by the Dreamfinder and Figment free ride, wasn't Eisner still in charge? Who at that point ever had even heard of Iger? And when Figment was added back in wasn't that also under the leadership of Eisner? Iger is talking like he was involved in it completely and corrected the mistake to save the day.

Also here's the deal...unless they recreated the OLD Imagination ride that were heavily dominated by both the Dreamfinder and Figment there is no need to bring DF back. Figment will be possibly used in some form but not a significant part of it. That would be my opinion. If they come up with something good enough, they can make people forget about both of them. The question is do they have the talent anymore to do something that spectacular?
I think they have the talent. They just lack the higher ups that would allow to green light such a project.

Last edited:

Sped2424

I say they only reason they have for closing the pavilion, is if it is getting a complete 2.0 Makeover that doesn't pay a little tribute to the original one, but instead Is either a new experience that is worthy of the imagination pavilion with new characters OR Bring back figment and Dream finder and give them a ride on the same scale of the original.

Seabasealpha1

You know, part of the problem with today's imagineers might not even lie within the realm of whether or not they have the talent, skills, or know-how. Maybe what it really amounts to is that the great imagineers we know and love were around during a different time period. During the times of Marty, Tony, and to a small extent Joe, there was either Walt himself pushing them to the breaking point or the memory of Walt being honored through their work to see if the company would make it without him. The imagineers during Walt's reign were the originators and Walt was genius (or crazy) enough to let them explore and push the boundaries further than anyone else had ever done before.

In an interview I saw with Michael Eisner (who DID do some good while he was around...let's admit that now!) he was talking about how the company had changed imagineering and the theme park design from obsessive tinkering and crazy spending to business oriented decisions based on profitability...

Therein lies some of the problem...

Maybe what these "new" imagineers need is the same sort of kick in the pants and the same sort of creative approval to push the bar further in their own time...seems like all they get are limitations, budgets, and unrealistic deadlines...not to mention the fact that they all seem to be pitted against each other to get their projects approved...so much so, that it's a wonder any projects make it out the door...seems like they should unite more often to make great things happen again...

muteki

And they couldn't even accomplish that with the first redo and ripping everything out and starting fresh. The original had some great technology, really ahead of its time. The current version has simple funhouse gags and tricks, not so much effects.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom