Bob Iger: "‘We’ve got some pretty exciting things that we’ll be announcing over the next few months"

TP2000

The "Strawberry fields" is the Toy Story lot. That lot is bigger than the footprint of DCA so it is big enough for a 3rd gate. The problems are getting people to and from that park and the residentail housing sitting right next door create a noise pollution issue.

The housing next door to the Toy Story Lot are cheap shoebox apartments from the 1960's and early 70's. Hundreds of them. They could be bought out by the city and sold to Disney quite easily.

Just like Disney has asked the city to buy out the International House of Pancakes and a Ramada Motel on Harbor Blvd. to turn the land into a streetcar stop at Disneyland's main entrance, for the new Anaheim Streetcar system they want built by 2018.

Cosmic Commando

The dark horse in the DL resort expansion game is the Angel Stadium property. The Angels are supposedly in line for a new stadium in the next decade or so. It is a massive piece of property either in or right next to the Anaheim Resort District... no single piece of property that big will ever go up for sale again that close to Disneyland. Disney could take that opportunity to finally raze Disneyland and build a park like Walt really wanted to build back in the 1950's... more like the Magic Kingdom in Florida. Then, they could build the third gate on the site of the original Disneyland.

But seriously, no piece of property that close to Disneyland will ever go up for sale again anytime in the forseeable future. Disney should buy it and try to do something with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

flynnibus

Premium Member
Just like Disney has asked the city to buy out the International House of Pancakes and a Ramada Motel on Harbor Blvd. to turn the land into a streetcar stop at Disneyland's main entrance, for the new Anaheim Streetcar system they want built by 2018.

using eminent domain for public transit projects is way more agreeable than using eminent domain for private development.

It's done all the time - but doesn't come without a lot of political scarring. I'm not sure if it can be used without the government being a partner... but that I am unsure of

Californian Elitist

The dark horse in the DL resort expansion game is the Angel Stadium property. The Angels are supposedly in line for a new stadium in the next decade or so. It is a massive piece of property either in or right next to the Anaheim Resort District... no single piece of property that big will ever go up for sale again that close to Disneyland. Disney could take that opportunity to finally raze Disneyland and build a park like Walt really wanted to build back in the 1950's... more like the Magic Kingdom in Florida. Then, they could build the third gate on the site of the original Disneyland.

Sorry, just trying on my @Clever Name hat. :devilish: :hilarious: :cool:

But seriously, no piece of property that close to Disneyland will ever go up for sale again anytime in the forseeable future. Disney should buy it and try to do something with it.

I just about wanted to come through my computer and smack some sense into you, when I got to the second part of your post. I'm glad it was a joke lol.

Yes, I agree if Angel Stadium ever gets put on the market, Disney should buy the property. The Angels themselves just need to stay away from LA.

Last edited:

Travel Junkie

Sorry, just trying on my @Clever Name hat. :devilish: :hilarious: :cool:

Disney did own the Angels recently. Would have been nice if they worked out a deal with Arte Moreno when the team was sold to have a deal for the land in place if the team were to move. Arte has made it clear from day 1 he wants to be in the LA market, not the OC market.

That land is very valuable. Not only is it a huge piece of land, the Amtrak station is onsite along with plans for it to be home to the Anaheim transit hub.

PeterAlt

The housing next door to the Toy Story Lot are cheap shoebox apartments from the 1960's and early 70's. Hundreds of them. They could be bought out by the city and sold to Disney quite easily.

I missed that news. Can you give me a link please?

PeterAlt

Last I heard was they changed the California High Speed Rail Business Plan. The train will not stop at Aneheim as originally planned. It will now end in LA instead.

Also, can someone explain the strange "inland" route of the HSR. Why does it start on the coast up north and then goes east inland before going south and then going west to the coast again? Would a more direct coastal route have made more sense?

PeterAlt

using eminent domain for public transit projects is way more agreeable than using eminent domain for private development.

It's done all the time - but doesn't come without a lot of political scarring. I'm not sure if it can be used without the government being a partner... but that I am unsure of
They use imminent domain for private development all the time here in Florida. In West Palm Beach, where I live, the downtown area was one big crack district. The city used imminent domain to buy all the land, tore down all the buildings, and sold the land to the developer that proposed the best plan for a development on the property. Today, that development is called CityPlace by the Related Companies and the downtown area is really a nice place to visit. If you ever go to West Palm Beach, check it out!

flynnibus

Premium Member
They use imminent domain for private development all the time here in Florida. In West Palm Beach, where I live, the downtown area was one big crack district. The city used imminent domain to buy all the land, tore down all the buildings, and sold the land to the developer that proposed the best plan for a development on the property. Today, that development is called CityPlace by the Related Companies and the downtown area is really a nice place to visit. If you ever go to West Palm Beach, check it out!

CityPlace isn't a private development.. it was redevelopment funded and initiated by the government. It didn't sell the land.. and the developer bid to the goverment to be the development that went in.. which they won and have a lease from the government. It's a public/private venture. Very different from the idea of simply the city clearing the way for a big developer owning their own property.

Cosmic Commando

CityPlace isn't a private development.. it was redevelopment funded and initiated by the government. It didn't sell the land.. and the developer bid to the goverment to be the development that went in.. which they won and have a lease from the government. It's a public/private venture. Very different from the idea of simply the city clearing the way for a big developer owning their own property.
Which flavor was Kelo v. New London?

PeterAlt

Actually, it started as the Uptown-Downtown project. Henry Rolfs Jr quietly assembled the land during the 80's and tore it all down to build Uptown-Downtown and then he died and the project went bancrupt. The first constitutionally strong mayor of West Palm at the time, Nancy Graham, used her new powers to reassemble Rolf's Uptown-Downtown property, which was split between many banks after the bancruptcy.

Yes, CityPlace is a private-public partnership. I think they're renting the land to Related on a 100 year lease. So, that's like selling in my point of view. Related owns CityPlace outright, except the parking structures that the city built with bond money and the convention center (which I think the county owns).

Goofyernmost

Last I heard was they changed the California High Speed Rail Business Plan. The train will not stop at Aneheim as originally planned. It will now end in LA instead.

Also, can someone explain the strange "inland" route of the HSR. Why does it start on the coast up north and then goes east inland before going south and then going west to the coast again? Would a more direct coastal route have made more sense?
You know what they need there? Monorails!!! :hilarious::joyfull:

PeterAlt

You know what they need there? Monorails!!! :hilarious::joyfull:
No. There's a movement for monorails in Miami Beach. I have been vocal against that, believe it or not. I've been a vocal advocate for the expansion of Miami's Metromover people mover system into Miami Beach, as opposed to the movements that advocate monorail, PRT, light rail, street car, and Metrorail expansion.

As for Aneheim, I'm clueless why they didn't choose to go with a people mover system. I hope the new street car works out for them, but there's too many dangerous street crossings.

Last edited:

PeterAlt

anyone knows what are those exciting things they're going to announce in the next few months?
That's the $10 million question!

Our guess - A modest revamp of DHS that includes a Star Wars Land and a Cars Land (but more likely just a Star Wars Land), a Star Wars transformation of Tommorowland at DL, and maybe some EC announcements (Soaring and Imagination).

TP2000

That's the $10 million question!

Our guess - A modest revamp of DHS that includes a Star Wars Land and a Cars Land (but more likely just a Star Wars Land), a Star Wars transformation of Tommorowland at DL, and maybe some EC announcements (Soaring and Imagination).

My own personal guess, since Iger didn't say anything about WDW and only referenced "investing" in "Disneyland" with the announcements this fall;

1. A Star Wars transformation at DL, starting with Captain EO quickly and ending with Speeder Bike coaster in '17
  2. A Monstropolis mini-land and Door Coaster E Ticket at DCA

Although, the EO news would seem to impact Epcot as well, so there may be a tie-in for WDW with the Captain EO news. On the official Disneyland.com website, Captain EO is currently showing as closed for refurbishment at Disneyland indefinitely beginning after Labor Day. And there's rumors of an Imagination closure after Christmas, so...

Due to Iger's comments at D23 Expo, it would seem the WDW announcements are still a ways off. Or maybe because he was in Anaheim and across the street from Disneyland when he said those comments, he just focused on Disneyland in his commentary and there are joint announcements coming for both WDW and Disneyland this fall?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom