Bob Iger: "‘We’ve got some pretty exciting things that we’ll be announcing over the next few months"

FrankLapidus

Steve Jobs was very particular about certain key points of the deal, Lassetter being one of them. The bit about him being Creative Officer is the one that sticks in my memory after all these years. My memory may be wrong about the specifics of this, but that's how I remember it. I'll check the news archives to see where and why I remember that from.

I remember telling everyone I know when the Pixar deal was announced that Iger was tricked by Jobs because in actuality it is the other way around - Pixar had taken over Disney.

Iger wanted Lasseter, he says as much in the Pixar Story documentary when he talks about revitalising Disney animation and needing the right people. He says that after thinking abut it, he realised that Pixar had the right people so he could effectively kill two birds with one stone; bring Pixar back into the Disney fold and secure the future of an incredibly successful and lucrative partnership, and John Lasseter and Ed Catmull were the ideal people to fix the mess that had been made of WDAS. Jobs was very particular that he would only agree to a deal with Disney if Lasseter, Catmull and the rest of the key figures at Pixar were completely on board too. Iger and Disney proposed the deal that would put Disney animation under the stewardship of John Lasseter and Ed Catmull and it was one of the smartest things Iger has done in his time as CEO and I believe he deserves great credit for it.

Last edited:

Ignohippo

Steve Jobs was very particular about certain key points of the deal, Lassetter being one of them. The bit about him being Creative Officer is the one that sticks in my memory after all these years. My memory may be wrong about the specifics of this, but that's how I remember it. I'll check the news archives to see where and why I remember that from.

I remember telling everyone I know when the Pixar deal was announced that Iger was tricked by Jobs because in actuality it is the other way around - Pixar had taken over Disney.

Then don't tell me I'm wrong if "your memory may be wrong".

As for Pixar taking over Disney, absolutely. Disney was floundering if not for Pixar.

If you're partners with a company that is kicking your up and down the field, it only makes sense to step aside and let them show you how it's done.

Unfortunately, Eisner's ego was so large that there's no way (in his mind) anyone could do anything better than him.

Say what you will about Iger, but he's been a genius at acquiring brilliant people and leaving them alone to do what they do. I only wish he would do the same at the Studios and at WDI.

Ignohippo

I know for a fact that the bit in the book about how Steve Jobs dealt with family is wrong and inaccurate (I hope not intentionally). My cousin's roommate at Harvard was Lisa Brennan Jobs, the estranged daughter of Steve Jobs. The book says that Steve Jobs never attended her graduation at Harvard. My cousin graduated Harvard together with Lisa. My uncle was there for her graduation and sitting in the row in front of him was Steve Jobs there to see Lisa graduate. My uncle and Steve Jobs were acquainted with each other. My uncle, aunt, and my other cousins all had dinner with Steve Jobs and Lisa at the Jobs residence in Palo Alto, CA per Steve Jobs' invitation. My uncle wrote the author of that book and complained about the inaccuracy. The author did not reply.

Wow. That's great to hear. I love Jobs and am surprised daily by the incredible things that we find out about him.

I watched Lasseter's acceptance speech for Jobs being inducted as a Disney Legend last night. It was truly heartbreaking.

On the same note about his daughter, it's such a shame that he never hooked up with his birth father before he died. I'm sure he had his reasons, but if his birth daughter could accept him back in her life, it's a shame he didn't allow his own birth father the same opportunity.

PeterAlt

Wow. That's great to hear. I love Jobs and am surprised daily by the incredible things that we find out about him.

I watched Lasseter's acceptance speech for Jobs being inducted as a Disney Legend last night. It was truly heartbreaking.

On the same note about his daughter, it's such a shame that he never hooked up with his birth father before he died. I'm sure he had his reasons, but if his birth daughter could accept him back in her life, it's a shame he didn't allow his own birth father the same opportunity.
Yeah, I know. By the way, my cousin and Lisa are still very good friends after all these years and they keep in touch regularly. Lisa told my cousin that her father was dying several weeks before his tragic death happened. My cousin told my uncle his symptoms (my uncle's a doctor) and my uncle told me at the time that he's afraid Steve may only have a few months to live. He was wrong. We all heard the news just weeks later.

Last year, my cousin got married. We all flew up to a country farm in upstate NY for the wedding. Lisa was there and blended in with everyone. Despite my best efforts, my cousin would not reveal which person was her for fear that I might stalk her or something (whatever). Any way, she said Lisa did not want to be identified because she wanted people who she meets to know her for who she is - not as the daughter of Steve Jobs. I understand this, but if I were her, I would use that to my advantage. For example, she is (along with the rest of her family) Disney's largest shareholder. She could use that as leverage and demand changes (like Roy Disney did) and she can be the inspiration of others to do great things simply by talking about her father. She is determined to gain a reputation of being a great writer, but no matter how good her writing may be, she will always be the daughter of a great legend. She should come to terms with that and use it to an advantage, in my opinion.

FrankLapidus

No. Eisner was seen as HORRIBLE at the end of his career. Everyone hated him and there are still people who hate him to this day (not me).

If Frank Wells hadn't passed away I'm sure Eisner's time as CEO at Disney would have transpired very differently and would be remembered far more fondly than it is. He needed to be reigned in at times and without Wells he had no one to do that. Instead he surrounded himself with yes-men and had them compete against each other for his favour and relentlessly targeted anyone who dared to disagree with him.

PeterAlt

Then don't tell me I'm wrong if "your memory may be wrong".

As for Pixar taking over Disney, absolutely. Disney was floundering if not for Pixar.

If you're partners with a company that is kicking your up and down the field, it only makes sense to step aside and let them show you how it's done.

Unfortunately, Eisner's ego was so large that there's no way (in his mind) anyone could do anything better than him.

Say what you will about Iger, but he's been a genius at acquiring brilliant people and leaving them alone to do what they do. I only wish he would do the same at the Studios and at WDI.
I don't dislike Iger. I can list as many good things about him as bad. He's no Eisner that's for sure. He's no Disney either. I just think Eisner got a bad rap. I think he knew at the end that he was messing things up and did not want to leave the company that way. I think he wanted more time to fix things, make everything right, and then leave while everything is all good and rosy - that way he would have gained a good rap and that's how he would be remembered. But his ego was too big. He was originally part of Roy's dream team, which they called the Brain Trust. As members of the Brain Trust either died (Frank Wells) or left the company (Jeffrey Katzenberg), it was no longer the Brain Trust but Eisner and his ego - pretty much like Roger Waters and Pink Floyd.

I'm still doing my research to figure this out. I'm already seeing why this might be. My memory wasn't wrong, but there might be some details I either didn't consider or didn't know about then. I'll get back with you on that some time today.

Ignohippo

If Frank Wells hadn't passed away I'm sure Eisner's time as CEO at Disney would have transpired very differently and would be remembered far more fondly than it is. He needed to be reigned in at times and without Wells he had no one to do that. Instead he surrounded himself with yes-men and had them compete against each other for his favour and relentlessly targeted anyone who dared to disagree with him.

Amen to that. It,s amazing how often that happens to great men of power.

Ignohippo

I don't dislike Iger. I can list as many good things about him as bad. He's no Eisner that's for sure. He's no Disney either. I just think Eisner got a bad rap. I think he knew at the end that he was messing things up and did not want to leave the company that way. I think he wanted more time to fix things, make everything right, and then leave while everything is all good and rosy - that way he would have gained a good rap and that's how he would be remembered. But his ego was too big. He was originally part of Roy's dream team, which they called the Brain Trust. As members of the Brain Trust either died (Frank Wells) or left the company (Jeffrey Katzenberg), it was no longer the Brain Trust but Eisner and his ego - pretty much like Roger Waters and Pink Floyd.

I'm still doing my research to figure this out. I'm already seeing why this might be. My memory wasn't wrong, but there might be some details I either didn't consider or didn't know about then. I'll get back with you on that some time today.

Agreed, but I'd consider Eisner like an out of control locomotive. He was going full steam ahead in the beginning and he was phenomenal. Then he completely lost control. I don't believe there'd still be a Disney Company as we know it if Eisner weren't given the boot. He would've completely derailed the comapny.

Ignohippo

Yeah, I know. By the way, my cousin and Lisa are still very good friends after all these years and they keep in touch regularly. Lisa told my cousin that her father was dying several weeks before his tragic death happened. My cousin told my uncle his symptoms (my uncle's a doctor) and my uncle told me at the time that he's afraid Steve may only have a few months to live. He was wrong. We all heard the news just weeks later.

Last year, my cousin got married. We all flew up to a country farm in upstate NY for the wedding. Lisa was there and blended in with everyone. Despite my best efforts, my cousin would not reveal which person was her for fear that I might stalk her or something (whatever). Any way, she said Lisa did not want to be identified because she wanted people who she meets to know her for who she is - not as the daughter of Steve Jobs. I understand this, but if I were her, I would use that to my advantage. For example, she is (along with the rest of her family) Disney's largest shareholder. She could use that as leverage and demand changes (like Roy Disney did) and she can be the inspiration of others to do great things simply by talking about her father. She is determined to gain a reputation of being a great writer, but no matter how good her writing may be, she will always be the daughter of a great legend. She should come to terms with that and use it to an advantage, in my opinion.

That's fascinating. I can understand it though. I'd have a hard time coming to grips with it if I had been in her position and estranged from my father.

It really does show the integrity of the Jobs family that they haven't taken advantage of Steve's name. It shows that they respect his legacy and don't want to do anything to tarnish it.

PeterAlt

Agreed, but I'd consider Eisner like an out of control locomotive. He was going full steam ahead in the beginning and he was phenomenal. Then he completely lost control. I don't believe there'd still be a Disney Company as we know it if Eisner weren't given the boot. He would've completely derailed the comapny.
Just like Roger Waters and Pink Floyd. The parallels are uncanny, except Waters has a bigger ego than Eisner, if that's even possible.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Peter you know you would have spent the whole day lobbying for more Monorail. Your cousin made the right choice. :joyfull:

PeterAlt

Peter you know you would have spent the whole day lobbying for more Monorail. Your cousin made the right choice. :joyfull:
No, I had this plan to pretend not to know who she is and befriend her and act surprised in font of her if told. She may have even liked me, but who knows. My sister sent her a friend request on Facebook and she accepted. I wouldn't lobby her about monorail. It's not her decision. She can make a phone call to the right people, I suppose, who may or may not do anything about it.

PeterAlt

Here's the best proof yet that Walt wasn't planning to clone DL's castle. This sketch was created January 1967, a month after Walt's death. Even though Walt wasn't alive when this sketch was finished, it was started while he was alive by Imagineer Herb Ryman.

cindy_1967.jpg

Link to article:
http://progresscityusa.com/2010/07/27/the-ryman-centennial-a-whole-new-disney-world/

Captain Neo

Original Poster
Just to prove Eisner had no business running Disney on his first month on the job Tony Baxter presented splash mountain the first thing out of Eisner's mouth was "can we tie it in to our new movie Splash"?

SirLink

Just to prove Eisner had no business running Disney on his first month on the job Tony Baxter presented splash mountain the first thing out of Eisner's mouth was "can we tie it in to our new movie Splash"?

Eisner was great with Frank Wells but damn it he at least invested in the parks. If Eisner had still been CEO we would be getting loads of stuff especially with his never wanted to be beaten attitude.

doctornick

Eisner was great with Frank Wells but damn it he at least invested in the parks. If Eisner had still been CEO we would be getting loads of stuff especially with his never wanted to be beaten attitude.

That's the thing I keep on thinking. I can't comment on how Eisner was to work with, but I feel confident that he would be aggressively investing in the parks now, based on his ego/competitiveness and his genuine interest in the parks, and would not let them become "stale" the way Iger has. He would not stand for Universal showing up disney in any way.

Under Eisney, Disney had plans in place ready to roll if IOA started to take market share/attention from WDW. I've got to think that he would have put those (or alternatives to those) into effect quickly if he were around when WWOHP opened.

Cosmic Commando

Here's the best proof yet that Walt wasn't planning to clone DL's castle. This sketch was created January 1967, a month after Walt's death. Even though Walt wasn't alive when this sketch was finished, it was started while he was alive by Imagineer Herb Ryman.

cindy_1967.jpg

Link to article:
http://progresscityusa.com/2010/07/27/the-ryman-centennial-a-whole-new-disney-world/
Seriously dude... there is no evidence that Walt ever wanted a castle like that. I'm not saying he would've cloned Disneyland's castle, but I have never seen any evidence that Walt even saw any artwork for a castle that looks anything like what we got. Even if you find something dated before Walt's death (good luck), it doesn't mean it would've been built that way. Look at the infamous "Lost Weekend" drawing that Herb Ryman did with Walt staring over his shoulder:

6.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom