Bob Iger: "‘We’ve got some pretty exciting things that we’ll be announcing over the next few months"

Captain Neo

Original Poster
disneys-star-wars-land-will-include-a-jedi-training-academy-header.jpg

Although Iger specifically mentions Disneyland the article talks about both WDW and DL getting new Star Wars attractions

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business...-attraction/pyipJNRQOVZEDXSQUIF7XP/story.html

"LOS ANGELES — Walt Disney Co., known for teasing fans with clues to new attractions, used its convention in Anaheim, Calif., to hint that ‘‘Star Wars’’ would play a role in a new round of theme-park improvements.

Disney placed crates with ‘‘Star Wars’’ references in an area of the D23 Expo highlighting new attractions. One was labeled ‘‘lightsaber assortment.’’ Another sported a cutout of R2-D2, giving the appearance the robot character had escaped from the box. The three-day gathering for Disney fans ended Sunday.
The hints followed comments by chairman and CEO Robert Iger, who said on a conference call Tuesday that the Burbank, Calif.-based company plans to announce new attractions in Disneyland, the original park in Anaheim opened by the founder of Walt Disney in 1955. Disney acquired ‘‘Star Wars’’ maker Lucasfilm last year for $4.1 billion.
‘‘We’re going to continue to invest in Disneyland,’’ Iger said. ‘‘We’ve got some pretty exciting things that we’ll be announcing over the next couple of months.’’
The crates were addressed to Disney’s Imagineering theme park design group and stamped ‘‘speculation beyond imagination’’ and ‘‘Project Orange Harvest,’’ with some of it in lettering similar to the ‘‘Star Wars’’ logo.

Disney has said it wants to use characters like the robot C-3PO and Chewbacca the Wookiee in parks, movies, and television programming. The world’s largest entertainment company will release its first ‘‘Star Wars’’ film, the seventh in the series, in 2015.
Since the Lucasfilm acquisition, Disney-oriented websites have speculated about the location of a ‘‘Stars Wars’’ attraction. Themeparkinsider.com reported in June that the company was planning a ‘‘Star Wars’’ land at Disney’s Hollywood Studios park in Orlando.

Disney earned 19 percent of its almost $10 billion in operating income from the parks division last year.
Thomas Staggs, the chairman of Disney’s parks and resorts division, declined to comment on new Disneyland attractions or the possibility of a standalone ‘‘Star Wars’’ park, when asked at the convention.

David Koenig, who has written four books about Disney, said the company may be considering remodeling the Tomorrowland section of Disneyland with a ‘‘Star Wars’’ theme or building a new park on land it owns nearby.

‘‘They like to cluster them,’’ Koenig said of the company’s theme parks.
Todd Regan, founder of the website MiceChat.com, said on a recent podcast that the plans may include a ‘‘Star Wars’’ cantina in Florida.

Disney owns 461 acres in Anaheim and has a long-term lease for an additional 49 acres, according to its annual report. The company operates two theme parks there, the original Disneyland and Disney California Adventure.

The company already operates Star Tours, a space travel thrill ride that was done in collaboration with ‘‘Star Wars’’ creator George Lucas.

Disney stock fell 1.6 percent to $64.73 on Friday in New York. The shares have risen 30 percent this year."

MickeyPeace

I wish I cared more about Star Wars...and value engineered Carsland....and cruise ships....and timeshares....and what's happening to me?!

I know I'm probably the only one who doesn't hate Star Wars but could care less about a land. And all of the other stuff I mentioned. Bleh.

I'm actually most excited about Avatar. Yep it's true.

lebeau

We just had a huge convention with no announcements, but that's cause we're saving them up to drop at random intervals in the future. Not because we haven't made up our minds about anything. No sir. Definitely not that.

Get excited. Something will be announced some time in the future. Set your clocks for "not now".

Seriously, what's the point of all that. If you have anything exciting to announce in the next few months, you would have announced it at your great big convention.

Captain Neo

Original Poster
We just had a huge convention with no announcements, but that's cause we're saving them up to drop at random intervals in the future. Not because we haven't made up our minds about anything. No sir. Definitely not that.

Get excited. Something will be announced some time in the future. Set your clocks for "not now".

Seriously, what's the point of all that. If you have anything exciting to announce in the next few months, you would have announced it at your great big convention.

Because you can't announce projects that A) Haven't been finalized and more importantly B) Approved by the Board of Directors

aladdin2007

That image looks like a sorta kinda concept art for what could be the new 3d movie replacing Disneylands EO, and do I dare say our EO? yet all they mention for WDW is a cantina! or maybe i read it different or something.

HMF

That image looks like a sorta kinda concept art for what could be the new 3d movie replacing Disneylands EO, and do I dare say our EO? yet all they mention for WDW is a cantina! or maybe i read it different or something.
I am not sure that is WDI Concept Art. Besides the Star Wars 3D show is supposed to be where Muppet-Vision currently is. Only at DL is Star Wars replacing EO.

Captain Neo

Original Poster
I'd love for an announcement. But I doubt an expo in Japan is going to be the correct place to showcase all the new stuff coming to DHS. But as long as it's announced somehow i'll be fine! :D

Yea I think it will be Tokyo-centric but Miceage suggested they would be ready to announce it there and Iger's comments "in a few months" seems to lineup. Though I personally think they will announce the Star Wars stuff at a seperate event in October.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom