Bob Chapek's response to Florida's 'Don't Say Gay' bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joesixtoe

Which is moral? To provide everyone with equal rights, or to single out a group and leave them vulnerable?

When have "sexual orientation" or "gender identity" ever been used to refer to straight people?

If this bill were concerned with children being taught about sex, one of the many proposed amendments that would have fixed the issue would have passed.

There is zero morality behind this bill.
As you said there is a religious sect (and non-religious) that don't agree with the LGBTQ+ lifestyle as well as other moral issues. So there will be major disagreements that will continue to keep happening. I'm not here to argue who's right, I'm just simply saying that's a fact here in America that we have to come to terms with.
Sexual orientation can be a label for heterosexuality. However I get your point, that's why I said opponents to the bill will say they are not wanting the discussion of LGBTQ in classrooms.

Morality again is the dividing issue. It's very easy to yell about how wrong people are, it's harder to step back and just except people totally disagree with my worldview.

TP2000

Then those parents haven't been paying attention to the huge piles of papers being sent home every day. Or to the school calendar with the meeting dates and times on them.

Or how about the 20-25 annual requests from the PTA?

Or what about...I dunno...ASKING where the curriculum can be accessed?

Where can the Florida curriculum be accessed? I'd love to look at it, just to see what they're teaching about sexuality in junior high or high school nowadays. I only remember an awkward and fairly useless talk in the gym by Coach Ladd with all the rest of the boys in 9th grade. There were diagrams. And lots of giggling. I didn't learn much I didn't already know.

Where can someone go find the curriculum for Florida schools online? Or any public schools, really.

TP2000

If I went to school to be a teacher…took all the classes, passed my exams, got all my certifications, etc. to do what I needed to do as a teacher, there’s no way I’d be cool with a parent or multiple telling/demanding me to not teach their child about the California Gold Rush, for example, because they don’t want their kid to learn about it, or because it offends them, or whatever reason. I did all the work to become a teacher, but parents, particularly the ones who aren’t teachers, should be able to come in and tell me what I can and can’t teach, according to their own personal interests, political views, agendas, etc. because we’re supposed to be a team? That’s insane and ludicrous.

There are various ways for parents to be involved in their kids’ education without having a say in what teachers are allowed to teach them and what they’re not allowed to teach them. Frankly, parents need to be more active at home. They should make sure their kids understand what they’re learning, ensure that they’re completing their homework on time, and talk to them about school in general. One of my best friends is a teacher and she’s always telling me about a parent or two blaming her for their kid refusing to turn in their homework on time, even so much as contacting the school principal to file complaints about her.

I agree with much of that. And yet there are also ways for parents to be involved in public school curriculum, and that's through the legislative process by a body of democratically elected politicians. State legislatures and governors have authority over state boards of education, which determine statewid curricula. And that's what just happened in Florida.

If a majority of Florida voters, many of whom are parents, don't approve of this new Florida bill mandating the school curriculum for 3rd graders and younger not discuss sexual orientation at those early grades, then they can vote out the legislators that drafted and approved the bill. The election is November 8th. It's barely seven months away.

Lilofan

Hasn't it been stated and proven like a thousand times that CRT is not being taught in any school except college in advanced law classes?
and who are these Elites? LOL Wow Well you are certainly using all of your Fox News Buzz words lol...
That's not accurate. Critical race theory or how American racism has shaped public policy, racism in many forms prevails in society regardless of skin color, is currently being taught at West Point USMA to all cadets with the full support of Joint Chief Staff Chairman, General . Milley.

Last edited:

Lilofan

52 pages and I doubt anyones position has changed
It is ironic that Disney is faulted for doing business ( SHDL ) with a country as a swipe for not agreeing to the Don't Say Gay Bill but the approx 70% of USA meds , FL included come from the same country annually among many billions of dollars of products that is imported to our country from theirs.

Angel Ariel

Where can the Florida curriculum be accessed? I'd love to look at it, just to see what they're teaching about sexuality in junior high or high school nowadays. I only remember an awkward and fairly useless talk in the gym by Coach Ladd with all the rest of the boys in 9th grade. There were diagrams. And lots of giggling. I didn't learn much I didn't already know.

Where can someone go find the curriculum for Florida schools online? Or any public schools, really.
I posted the link to broward county’s family life curriculum earlier in this thread.

Florida’s “B.E.S.T. Standards of learning” are available on the FLDOE website:

State dept. of education websites would be the place to go to find this information.

Last edited:

ImperfectPixie

As you said there is a religious sect (and non-religious) that don't agree with the LGBTQ+ lifestyle as well as other moral issues. So there will be major disagreements that will continue to keep happening. I'm not here to argue who's right, I'm just simply saying that's a fact here in America that we have to come to terms with.
Sexual orientation can be a label for heterosexuality. However I get your point, that's why I said opponents to the bill will say they are not wanting the discussion of LGBTQ in classrooms.

Morality again is the dividing issue. It's very easy to yell about how wrong people are, it's harder to step back and just except people totally disagree with my worldview.
Funny how any time the question of "morality" comes into play with the passage of laws, the end result is an increase in harm.

Teaching abstinence-only increases teen pregnancies. (There is also a proven link between religiosity and higher teen pregnancy rates - in the case of Evangelicals, twice the national rate.)
Limiting access to abortions harms women by forcing them to seek back-door abortions or to attempt to self-induce, and has long-term adverse effects on low-income women.
Denying trans children access to care and support increases incidents of depression, self-harm, and suicide.

The claim that those who support these kinds of laws have some kind of moral high ground is delusional (not saying you are making that claim). Not one of the people affected by the laws I listed above is trying to force anything on anyone else, but those making the claim of moral high ground ARE attempting to force the rest of society to live by their beliefs and choices, and are actively harming people as a result. The research is there - we KNOW FOR A FACT that laws like these increase harm. To deny the research and force laws based on personal beliefs knowing that those laws increase harm is the exact opposite of morality.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Because in the current environment, the idea that you can separate Disney and politics is absurd (for reasons I discussed above) and that will only become more true in the coming years. And it’s very possible these political issues may effect the park experience.
And yet it still violates the terms of this site...anyways, that is the business of the mods which I am not one. I was just amazed/confused that it made it all these pages. Have at it!

Californian Elitist

I agree with much of that. And yet there are also ways for parents to be involved in public school curriculum, and that's through the legislative process by a body of democratically elected politicians. State legislatures and governors have authority over state boards of education, which determine statewid curricula. And that's what just happened in Florida.

If a majority of Florida voters, many of whom are parents, don't approve of this new Florida bill mandating the school curriculum for 3rd graders and younger not discuss sexual orientation at those early grades, then they can vote out the legislators that drafted and approved the bill. The election is November 8th. It's barely seven months away.
I know this.

Magenta Panther

There is shocking ignorance on display on this page, and its a testament to why we need better education on the history of race in this country - and why certain groups are desperate to block that education. There is NO comparison between minstrelsy and drag.

People need to read up VERY thoroughly on the history of minstrelsy. It was THE dominant pop culture form in America through much of the 19th century. It was prevalent, inextricably intertwined into society. Many (if not most) of the old, familiar songs we think of as pure Americana were written for Minstrel shows. And a large part of the intention of these shows and a massive part of their impact was to establish and reinforce stereotypes of African Americans that could justify their enslavement. The shows also worked to unite urban workers in the north and wealthy southern plantation holders into a political coalition that could ensure the continued oppression of an entire race. After emancipation, the content of minstrel shows (still the single most dominant form of US pop culture) changed slightly with the introduction of new core characters - now the goal was to define African Americans as inherently violent and irrational and justify horrible, widespread violence against them and to perpetuate massively unjust laws that violated their most basic rights.

Again, the fact that most Americans don't know how absolutely central minstrelsy was to US culture is a shocking indictment of our education system - and a testament to how important understanding historical context is in grasping modern political issues.

Oh, I see, so it's okay for a man to dress up as a woman and exaggerate feminine features and mannerisms for laughs, but blackface is bad? Because it's all a matter of degree? Feh. Nice rationalization though.

TP2000

This is the last day of the "walk out" at break time, before tomorrow's "Using An Earned Comp Day Walk Out" (or whatever it's called) for the entire day.

I'm still not finding any online evidence of mass walk-outs at any of Disney's white collar campuses, let alone the theme parks where front line CM's don't have the luxury of walking away anywhere, unless maybe they work at an Omnimover with a loading belt. I did find this Twitter photo from Friday afternoon's walkout at the Pixar campus up in Emeryville. It's the 20 people who "walked out" showing one of their feet in a circle. It's not exactly a mass migration at 3 o'clock, is it?

But what's the status for tomorrow? Judging by the small numbers of white collar folks who stepped out during their break, I can't imagine the Walt Disney Company will be grinding to a halt tomorrow. Nor will the operation of Walt Disney World be impacted. Or will it?

Californian Elitist

This is the last day of the "walk out" at break time, before tomorrow's "Using An Earned Comp Day Walk Out" (or whatever it's called) for the entire day.

I'm still not finding any online evidence of mass walk-outs at any of Disney's white collar campuses, let alone the theme parks where front line CM's don't have the luxury of walking away anywhere, unless maybe they work at an Omnimover with a loading belt. I did find this Twitter photo from Friday afternoon's walkout at the Pixar campus up in Emeryville. It's the 20 people who "walked out" showing one of their feet in a circle. It's not exactly a mass migration at 3 o'clock, is it?

But what's the status for tomorrow? Judging by the small numbers of white collar folks who stepped out during their break, I can't imagine the Walt Disney Company will be grinding to a halt tomorrow. Nor will the operation of Walt Disney World be impacted. Or will it?

People are wanting to express themselves. Let them.

I would imagine they don’t care about numbers and don’t honestly believe that their walkout will change much.

Quinnmac000

Oh, I see, so it's okay for a man to dress up as a woman and exaggerate feminine features and mannerisms for laughs, but blackface is bad? Because it's all a matter of degree? Feh. Nice rationalization though.
You do know there are cisgender female drag queens and female identifying drag queens and drag isn’t strictly just female but there are drag kings

TP2000

People are wanting to express themselves. Let them.

Oh, I'm not opposed to people spending their coffee break out on the patio with a dozen or so others. It could be fun!

But it's also one of those Social Media stunts that seems to be completely useless and only serves to virtue signal. It also is typically Classist of the self-absorbed Twitter crowd to not realize that the majority of CM's who work in Florida are blue collar theme park workers who don't have the luxury or ability (or bank account) to walk out of their job at a blanket time and give up 15 minutes of pay for the day.

You worked at Disneyland. Can you imagine the reprimand, if not immediate firing, you would have received if at 3 o'clock you stood up from your operators console at Mr. Toad and just walked away from the ride to protest legislation in Florida?

I would imagine they don’t care about numbers and don’t honestly believe that their walkout will change much.

It won't change much, but it sure looks good on their Twitter. Don't forget to Like and Subscribe! :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom