Bob Chapek's response to Florida's 'Don't Say Gay' bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryguy

I think its great Disney has bowed out of political donations in Florida. Public held companies shouldn't be donating to any politician. It should be against the law.

Maybe Bob can reallocate the political bribe monies and give his employees a raise. Or build affordable housing for their employees. I can think of a lot of good uses for that money.

Lilofan

I think its great Disney has bowed out of political donations in Florida. Public held companies shouldn't be donating to any politician. It should be against the law.

Maybe Bob can reallocate the political bribe monies and give his employees a raise. Or build affordable housing for their employees. I can think of a lot of good uses for that money.
Sadly this will be short lived. Companies across the country in bed with ones who they donate to is the you help me I help you relationship that will not be going away anytime soon. ( ie significant tax breaks is one thing that comes to mind ).

maxairmike

You conveniently left out the rest of that sentence, found on Lines 21 to 23 on Page 1 of this Florida bill, as many of its other critics also have conveniently left out.

The complete sentence you just quoted is actually...

"...prohibiting classroom discussion about sexual orientation or gender identity in certain grade levels or in a specified manner."

In reality, it's prohibiting that classroom discussion on Sexual Orientation from Kindergarten through Grade 3, and then from Grade 4 onward it's a classroom discussion that is not "in a manner that is not age appropriate or developmentally appropriate for students in accordance with state standards." (Lines 99 to 101, Page 4)

When you include the full text of the bill, as written, it becomes far more reasonable for a majority of parents. And even for some non-parents, like myself. And again, the full bill is online. We can all read it, if we choose.

As gay activist Frank Bruni just admitted on the Bill Maher program... "Yeah, that's a political winner."

Completely serious question: Do you honestly believe that the majority of parents in FL that support this bill as well as the authors and supporters in the state legislature would find anything relating to LGBT people “age appropriate,” or do you think it’s more likely that they would fight tooth and nail to say that it’s never appropriate at any age in any form? Do you believe that the local Courts, including and up to the current Supreme Court would agree with the parents/legislature, or the teacher/school in any such dispute?

I can tell you what I’m fairly certain the answer to those questions is, and actually I can be 100% certain what the first answer is, because I grew up in that kind of environment. Make no mistake that this bill was worded how it is to allow your arguments to provide cover for how it’s intended to be understood by the target audience and interpreted by friendly courts.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

…well that’s a rich Laugh on a Monday morning😂

Ayla

Just a reminder the bill does not mention the word "gay" at all, and does not bar anyone from saying a word. Anyone calling it the "Don't Say Gay" bill is straight up gaslighting you. What this bill does do is stop pedophiles from grooming children under 9 and teaching them about sexual desires. If you support 1st grade teachers talking about who people like to have sex with in the classroom then I think you are a sick person.
"Grooming" and "pedophiles" are the right-wing talking points about this bill...neither of which are true.

Club Cooloholic

Completely serious question: Do you honestly believe that the majority of parents in FL that support this bill as well as the authors and supporters in the state legislature would find anything relating to LGBT people “age appropriate,” or do you think it’s more likely that they would fight tooth and nail to say that it’s never appropriate at any age in any form? Do you believe that the local Courts, including and up to the current Supreme Court would agree with the parents/legislature, or the teacher/school in any such dispute?

I can tell you what I’m fairly certain the answer to those questions is, and actually I can be 100% certain what the first answer is, because I grew up in that kind of environment. Make no mistake that this bill was worded how it is to allow your arguments to provide cover for how it’s intended to be understood by the target audience and interpreted by friendly courts.
You can't explain to someone who refuses to understand how law works. It's a poorly written bill (yes, I read it) and any first-year law school student could see how it can be exploited to serve specific people. Our school recently celebrated a teachers engagement, the kids brought in snacks etc, if the teacher was entering into a same sex engagement, would that be allowed? We can't answer, but a judge will get to decide I guess because a parent sure as heck can bring a suit in given this language.

Last edited:

epcotWSC

Why are schools teaching anything about sex in grade school to begin with? I never recall learning anything about it until we were approaching puberty. The quality of public school education is becoming worse and worse by the year and teachers are spending days teaching kids about stupid crap. Many other countries have such rigorous education programs that this type of stuff wouldn't even be on the radar. Here in the US on the other hand... People will figure this stuff one way or another as they get to the ages when it's relevant.

ImperfectPixie

Why are schools teaching anything about sex in grade school to begin with? I never recall learning anything about it until we were approaching puberty. The quality of public school education is becoming worse and worse by the year and teachers are spending days teaching kids about stupid crap. Many other countries have such rigorous education programs that this type of stuff wouldn't even be on the radar. Here in the US on the other hand... People will figure this stuff one way or another as they get to the ages when it's relevant.
They aren't.

lazyboy97o

Both are disturbing and if being against this offends you, please keep your VSC up to date.
Recent incidents in Florida have involved male teachers and female students or a person posing as female student.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom