Bob Chapek Confirms Disney Will Overhaul Epcot

yensidtlaw1969

It’s amazing how many people make comments like these on this forum without realizing how condescending it is.
I don't think what I said was condescending -- I don't think anyone's "better" than anyone else for knowing EPCOT Center in it's prime, and it's not like there's anything inherently wrong with enjoying Disney Characters in a Disney Park, but wanting more of that in Epcot shows a misunderstanding of the point of the park in its origins.

There was a reason it was so hard to find traditional characters in the park when it opened, and still for a long time after. That was very intentional - to help establish that this place was NOT the same kind of experience as The Magic Kingdom.

If they wish to keep the park an "Epcot" at all, then infusing it with characters is the wrong way to go about it. If they wish to make it Magic Kingdom 2.0, as they somewhat seem to, then they should take things down to the studs and make the park something else, because the name "Epcot" will have no relationship to the park anymore. Heck, it barely does now.

lazyboy97o

I don't think what I said was condescending -- I don't think anyone's "better" than anyone else for knowing EPCOT Center in it's prime, and it's not like there's anything inherently wrong with enjoying Disney Characters in a Disney Park, but wanting more of that in Epcot shows a misunderstanding of the point of the park in its origins.

There was a reason it was so hard to find traditional characters in the park when it opened, and still for a long time after. That was very intentional - to help establish that this place was NOT the same kind of experience as The Magic Kingdom.

If they wish to keep the park an "Epcot" at all, then infusing it with characters is the wrong way to go about it. If they wish to make it Magic Kingdom 2.0, as they somewhat seem to, then they should take things down to the studs and make the park something else, because the name "Epcot" will have no relationship to the park anymore. Heck, it barely does now.
Even the Magic Kingdom was not a character franchise park. Epcot isn’t becoming Magic Kingdom 2.0. The Disneyland most being followed is Shanghai Disneyland.

Animaniac93-98

Even the Magic Kingdom was not a character franchise park. Epcot isn’t becoming Magic Kingdom 2.0. The Disneyland most being followed is Shanghai Disneyland.

When The Magic Kingdom opened it only had seven rides based on Disney animated movies, three of which were midway attractions, and one was gone by 1980.

By 1975 Tomorrowland alone had more attractions than that.

mikejs78

Premium Member
I’ve got seven for October 1 1971?
Here's what I have:

Main Street Theater (showing Mickey Cartoons)
Swiss Family Treehouse
Mike Fink Keelboats
Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes
Snow White's Adventure
Cindarella's Golden Carousel
Mickey Mouse Revue
Dumbo
Mad Tea Party
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride

Maybe some are debatable, but all of these attractions in some way contain or reference characters from Disney films... Unless my attraction list is wrong.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Here's what I have:

Swiss Family Treehouse
Mike Fink Keelboats
Snow White's Adventure
Mickey Mouse Revue
Dumbo
Mad Tea Party
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride

Maybe some are debatable, but all of these attractions in some way contain or reference characters from Disney films... Unless my attraction list is wrong.
I didn’t include the boats. Has it been so long that I forgot about them?

There’s also Pans Flight.

THE Monorail Lime

I don’t mind Guardians, but I agree with what a lot of people are saying. EPCOT is dead? No, well not exactly.. What I’m saying is Epcot was designed to change, I know I’m in the minority here because I never got to ride horizons, OG imagination, world of motion (I didn’t exist)

Epcot is my favorite park, And I do not like frozen being added, and I will be angry if Guardians doesn’t fit. But people need to stop complaining about rides that closed years ago, I know thier missed but Walt Disney even wanted his parks to Change.

I’m not trying to get anyone angry at me, I just noticed this thread has mostly become the EPCOT complaint thread (which is interesting in its own right). I would at least like to see, more speculation on the name or layout.

phillip9698

It's funny how you say that Dreamfinder and Figment weren't that popular... They had a Meet and Greet for the all the years of operation of the original ride, they just starred some Marvel comics and when Disney tried to take Figment out people were furious...

You say that Horizons appealed to Intellect only but everyone that have ridden it as a child has fond memory's of it and always post here, YouTube and other forums as how it was one of their favorite rides as a child...

I am sorry but if EPCOT CENTER were boring and for adults only it wouldn't have the biggest fan base of all of the parks in Florida...

EPCOT CENTER does not have the largest fan base. It's a park that is in flux right now so what it does have is a lot of very vocal supporters. The MK doesn't need people constantly talking about how great it is/was because there isn't a large group of people saying it's boring and needs to change.

mikejs78

Premium Member
I don’t mind Guardians, but I agree with what a lot of people are saying. EPCOT is dead? No, well not exactly.. What I’m saying is Epcot was designed to change, I know I’m in the minority here because I never got to ride horizons, OG imagination, world of motion (I didn’t exist)

Epcot is my favorite park, And I do not like frozen being added, and I will be angry if Guardians doesn’t fit. But people need to stop complaining about rides that closed years ago, I know thier missed but Walt Disney even wanted his parks to Change.

I’m not trying to get anyone angry at me, I just noticed this thread has mostly become the EPCOT complaint thread (which is interesting in its own right). I would at least like to see, more speculation on the name or layout.

I don't think anyone on here is expecting to have Epcot return to the exact state it was in circa 1990. That would be the antithesis of the park's mission, actually, because it's supposed to never be complete, and always changing.

Looking back at the past attractions to me is worthwhile for inspiration. Horizons, the original Imagination ride, etc, were brilliant attractions that both went before their time. My hope in preserving the memory of these attractions and continuing to discuss them (and no one has done a better job preserving that history than @marni1971 with his ultimate tribute videos) is to hopefully serve as inspiration to what is possible for the next generation of attractions. Would I want to see Horizons or JII return exactly as they were? No. Would I like an attraction that had a modern, fresh take on future life, with modern imagineering effects that appealed to modern audiences? Yes please. And a modern version of JII that celebrates the wonder and possibilities of the human imagination, rather than an attempt at being edgy and using a now-dated property.

The problem with some of the new additions are that they, on the surface, seem to be just IP infusions rather than attractions relating to Epcot's mission. I personally have no issue with IP if it's used correctly. But with Frozen (as much as I enjoy it) and Nemo, they took the lazy way. I hope Guardians is different.

EPCOT CENTER does not have the largest fan base. It's a park that is in flux right now so what it does have is a lot of very vocal supporters. The MK doesn't need people constantly talking about how great it is/was because there isn't a large group of people saying it's boring and needs to change.

What large group is this? What studies/guest satisfaction data do you have to back up that claim?

Epcot has problems, there's no doubt there. They've let Future World stagnate, haven't invested, abandoned some areas that used to have attraction space. Still, among many people I know, it's still their favorite park even with the acknowledgement of it's current flaws. And that includes a bunch of people that don't frequent forums like this. Thing is, if they did it right, they could appeal both to people who want "more excitement" (whatever that means) and who are fans of Epcot. There's no reason they can't do both simultaneously. Unfortunately it seems like they've chosen to cater to the latter while only giving lip service to the former. But time will tell, I am personally trying to keep an open mind.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Ugh, that kind of comment is what makes me understand why some people simply hate Disney. Sure, it's a business, etc, etc. But Chapek is belling the cat there about Disney's strategy of first milking parents out of huge amounts of money to take their kids to WDW, then adding all these little extra upcharge experiences and trying to guilt parents into paying yet more so their kids don't miss out.

Again, it's not a shock and I don't think Chapek invented this idea. Still, the notion of Disney executives sitting around thinking about how to use disappointed children as a sales tool is kind of sick.

I find this concept disgusting on all levels.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Epcot has a large fan base of Disney loyalists who are begging for it to be given the care and attention to detail that will restore it to a semblance of its first 20 years.

You don’t need to look deeper or interpret...that is what’s going on.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Here's what I have:

Swiss Family Treehouse
Mike Fink Keelboats
Snow White's Adventure
Mickey Mouse Revue
Dumbo
Mad Tea Party
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride

I didn’t include the boats. Has it been so long that I forgot about them?

There’s also Pans Flight.

And all those things are exactly where they belong: in or within a stones throw of fantasyland land.

Tech and cultural representation in Epcot...movies, music and tv at studios....animals at DAK...

This really isn’t too hard at all in any sense of the word

jt04

Epcot has a large fan base of Disney loyalists who are begging for it to be given the care and attention to detail that will restore it to a semblance of its first 20 years.

You don’t need to look deeper or interpret...that is what’s going on.

This is just wrong. A quality Future World (or whatever it will be named) will not placate the EC purists.

They are very ideologically driven and that is a major component of their frustration.

mikejs78

Premium Member
This is just wrong. A quality Future World (or whatever it will be named) will not placate the EC purists.

They are very ideologically driven and that is a major component of their frustration.
I disagree. A quality future world could very well placate many of the EC fans. I would consider myself an EC fan but not a purist. I think the original EC was brilliant. It needs to be reimagined for a 21st century audience, but the basic theme of the park doesn't need to change in order to do that. It doesn't need to become MK 2.0.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

I disagree. A quality future world could very well placate many of the EC fans. I would consider myself an EC fan but not a purist. I think the original EC was brilliant. It needs to be reimagined for a 21st century audience, but the basic theme of the park doesn't need to change in order to do that. It doesn't need to become MK 2.0.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

You’re “millennializing” this...aka misreading it 100%.

There isn’t a stodgy subset of fans that refuse to like Epcot unless they rebuild horizons...you’re way off.

All Epcot fans will embrace any quality attractions That follow a loose central theme...even if it’s more broad. That is not guardians of the galaxy...a particularly stupid comic book franchise

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom