Bob Chapek Confirms Disney Will Overhaul Epcot

Cmdr_Crimson

For me, the original or older version of Epcot was dead ages ago. No question that it's sad and disappointing. But, it's been sitting mostly idle since this time so I welcome anything that actually shows they're working on the park. I'll take some IP over empty, worn down and falling apart experiences.

Oh it died when it became EPCOT 94...

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Why do they keep saying that they will preserve the original intent of Epcot Center? I feel optimistic that the essence of Epcot will be preserved.

Nothing going on now gives much credence to your thoughts...

Stand in front of the ridiculous guardians of the galaxy buildings and tell me they haven’t lost their way...it’s mathematically impossible.

sedati

If they can build things that can make it a decade without the need of massive rethinking/investment then they will have righted the ship. I'm not saying that's what this new direction will do, but I think that's a decent mark of success for a theme park investment. As wonderful as EPCOT center was, it was grossly over budget and too quickly in need of redirection and reinvestment. That is a foundational error no matter how fondly we look back at it.

The Empress Lilly

If they can build things that can make it a decade without the need of massive rethinking/investment then they will have righted the ship. I'm not saying that's what this new direction will do, but I think that's a decent mark of success for a theme park investment. As wonderful as EPCOT center was, it was grossly over budget and too quickly in need of redirection and reinvestment. That is a foundational error no matter how fondly we look back at it.
And yet....what are the greatest things at current EPCOT?

SSE, LwtL, AA, the beauty of WS. All 83 originals! Nothing in EPCOT feels as timeless and family and Disney as these.

I'll grant Illuminations and ok, Soarin' too. A park appropriate evening show. And one great addition that should've been the 2000's version of film of a new WS pavilion.

Brer Oswald

Goodbye Epcot. It was great to know you.
All it took was 10 minutes of google searching and watching one of your tributes to convince me that Epcot Center was far superior to the Epcot I grew up with. I hope there are others out there, particularly the bright young minds looking to go into Imagineering, that see it the same way as I do. I believe that in a few decades, Epcot Center will come back. Or maybe not. I’m probably just being too optimistic.

Speedy71

Goodbye Epcot. It was great to know you.

j7uw82rh0y301.gif

mikejs78

Premium Member
Center went a long time ago.
Maybe I'm missing something but I didn't hear much yesterday that made me think Epcot is gone. Sure, the new nightime show will be IP heavy. Not my first choice, but shows can and do change. Illuminations 25a wasn't the best either, IMO. But after that we ended up with 25b (due to negative guest feedback of a) and then RoE. So while I'd prefer something else, I don't see the new show being as timeless as RoE and lasting nearly as long.

Second, the BatB sing-along. It's dumb. But it isn't replacing anything and is probably there to augment Rat. But is it really any different than Nemo?

Most of what I love about Epcot is still be there, and I haven't heard anything that indicates it will go away. Sure, would I prefer an IP-less Epcot Center that was part of my childhood? Absolutely. But I know that won't happen in today's environment, so what I am optimistically hoping for is a movement towards the blending of Epcots original mission to inspire with the modern tendency to use IP as part of the attractions. A Mulan-hosted circlevision movie about China is just fine with me, for example.

I'm still going to enjoy Epcot and take it for what it is. Could they do things that make me too think that Epcot is dead? Sure. But they haven't yet and they're pretty far off. I'll wait and see what it looks like 5 years from now.

Tavernacle12

Maybe I'm missing something but I didn't hear much yesterday that made me think Epcot is gone. Sure, the new nightime show will be IP heavy. Not my first choice, but shows can and do change. Illuminations 25a wasn't the best either, IMO. But after that we ended up with 25b (due to negative guest feedback of a) and then RoE. So while I'd prefer something else, I don't see the new show being as timeless as RoE and lasting nearly as long.

Second, the BatB sing-along. It's dumb. But it isn't replacing anything and is probably there to augment Rat. But is it really any different than Nemo?

Most of what I love about Epcot is still be there, and I haven't heard anything that indicates it will go away. Sure, would I prefer an IP-less Epcot Center that was part of my childhood? Absolutely. But I know that won't happen in today's environment, so what I am optimistically hoping for is a movement towards the blending of Epcots original mission to inspire with the modern tendency to use IP as part of the attractions. A Mulan-hosted circlevision movie about China is just fine with me, for example.

I'm still going to enjoy Epcot and take it for what it is. Could they do things that make me too think that Epcot is dead? Sure. But they haven't yet and they're pretty far off. I'll wait and see what it looks like 5 years from now.

To me there’s little separating the IllumiNations replacement from an MK show besides ‘some’ of the songs. Happily Ever After is great but doesn’t fit World Showcase, especially not after the show we just had. You don’t go from ‘a history of creation’ to ‘here are some songs that take place in other countries.’

Frozen and Nemo diluted their original attractions. Guardians murdered its original attraction and feels sorely out of place. Two of the theater shows are getting diluted with unnecessary IP injections and the third will likely get fewer and fewer showtimes until it disappears entirely.

Not a single one of these changes is positive. The only smart decision they’ve made is Ratatouie. The Epcot that ‘I’ love is dying. IllumiNations is dead. IDF feels like it’s on life support. SSE is going to be under the knife for years at a time. Soarin’ is worse than it was before. There’s going to be a random coaster hanging out diluting the views from the front of the park like Swolfin does from the back.

The only attraction I love that’ll still be around in a year or two is LWTL. Maybe. Strolls around World Showcase can only take me so far.

tree123

While we're talking about them tearing stuff apart, there's a new video out there of the Imageworks demo. It even includes a look down what was once the central access hatch for the turntable. I'd post it but doesn't it go against the rules on here?

Wow. Just saw that. So creepy, but also amazing that all the signs, etc, remain after all these years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom