Bob Chapek Confirms Disney Will Overhaul Epcot

Rich Brownn

The original Epcot obviously took its inspiration from the New York Worlds Fair in 64/65. The amount of money spent on temporary pavilions by corporations was insane (I read once GM's Futurama would cost $300-$400 million in todays dollars). But part of the excitement of the fair was you knew it was there only for a short time. If Futurama was busy you couldn't just say I'll come back next year. Epcot ran on 10-year contracts which might have made sense at the time, but by the end people were skipping even the once most popular attractions.

Cesar R M

Umm... I said just as much when in the post you quoted I said:

However, there may be some valid criticism that they're wasting too much and not getting their money's worth with all that billions. Although, that's hard for me to judge without looking at an expenditure list.

So... what were you arguing about?
Nice you missed the... "so I agree with you" *slow clap*

Still trying to find excuses or silly excuses to focus/pointfingers/nitpicking on me?

geekza

I think the problem with anyone looking at something like a "10-year plan" is that, in terms of "business years," that's forever. I mean, look at how much Disney has changed just in the last decade.

It was a pretty big risk buying Marvel when they did. Yes, Iron Man made money, but The Incredible Hulk didn't. Lots of people forget that film and think of Iron Man as the beginning of what we know as the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Iron Man came second. So, you had one successful film, a comic book publishing company in an age when print comics are on life support. There were a huge number of characters, but a huge chunk of the movie rights to their most popular ones were with Fox and Sony and Universal had theme park rights to nearly all of the rest of them. The fact that their acquisition paid off is amazing. It could have just as easily gone the other way.

The success of Marvel gave Disney the money and clout they needed to purchase both The Muppets and, more importantly, Lucasfilm. The Muppets, sadly, haven't been as successful, but there's still a lot of goodwill toward the characters. Lucasfilm, on the other hand, has pretty much paid for itself at this point. Even with divisive opinions on Last Jedi and Solo looking to fall far short of box office expectations, the ancillary rights owned by Disney are guaranteed to be a steady source of income for decades to come.

Let's take a look at what new attractions opened at WDW ten years ago.

Toy Story Midway Mania.

That's it. A fun attraction, but the only new thing in all four parks that year.

While I wish that all of the money being thrown at the parks in anticipation of the 50th were being spent on attractions that I actually cared about or that I think would be evergreen, E-ticket family attractions, the fact that all four parks are in the midst of seeing new attractions added at all is great news for the future of the parks. I do think that some more money should have been spent sprucing up attractions that could use some TLC (adding the Hatbox Ghost to the Mansion, giving Spaceship Earth an exciting and breathtaking finale once again) I'm happy that the parks aren't being left to rot any longer. While I will be eternally sad to see the final demise of my beloved Future World, it's been like watching a loved one deteriorate for two decades at this point. Future World will never again be what I loved, but I'd rather see Epcot hopefully bring in some crowds that aren't just there for Food & Wine. As long as Spaceship Earth isn't gutted, I can go on that and remember what caused me to fall in love with EPCOT Center in 1983. The rest of the attractions aren't for me any longer and that's fine.

Spash007

I still have a strong feeling that what the concept art had shown is not what we're really going to see. For example take a look at the new Fantasyland concept art before and after and you'll see why.

And besides getting rid of Innoventions, most of the other changes were in the details. At first glance, I feel like most people (i.e. not on this board) probably hardly noticed anything else. My gut is telling me that Innoventions is not going anywhere, and from New Fantasyland and Toy Story Land, disney has a habit of ditching those smaller details. I'd be fine if they re-do Innoventions to actually be something useful, but I feel like that's the best we'll see. And hopefully get rid of the graveyard in the front and update the aesthetic of bulky metallic support frames and theming.

peter11435

I still have a strong feeling that what the concept art had shown is not what we're really going to see. For example take a look at the new Fantasyland concept art before and after and you'll see why.
Outside of the change from meet and greet to mine train the new fantasyland concept art is largely accurate to what was built. The biggest differences are a canceled project in the teacups area and some minor changes in story book circus.

Not saying I feel the Epcot art is anywhere close to what we will see. I don’t.

geekza

Outside of the change from meet and greet to mine train the new fantasyland concept art is largely accurate to what was built. The biggest differences are a canceled project in the teacups area and some minor changes in story book circus.

7DMT's track was also shortened considerably from its original design. The concept didn't really change, just the amount of money that was allocated to it in order to build it.

Cmdr_Crimson

Pixie Hollow was to be where Storybook Circus is now...Shown in the Original concept...
mk_fantasyland_overall_screen.jpg

ppete1975

Look at some of the original/current sponsors of Epcot relative to Disney, then and now. GE, Exxon, Chevy, Kraft, Kodak. They aren't the tech leaders they once were. They aren't much bigger than Disney. They don't have more money to spend on these things than Disney does.

I don't think they need corporate partners. Well designed attractions based on current technology would be fantastic. How do we fit millions of switches on a single human hair? How does your cell phone get information from the internet? How do doctors use magnets to see what parts of your brain are active when they show you certain pictures/video (fMRI). Those are ideas off the top of my head where I have some working knowledge of the tech. Show people the scale of the universe. Other ideas I have less info on: How long would it take to get to Mars (could be pre/post-show at Mission Space), AI, batteries, genetics & evolution.

Maybe one closer to WDW: how MagicBands work!
For some reason that's one of the things I loved about epcot.. and Disney as well.... it felt like a bigger experience than just Disney.. like you were getting a special vip experience.. or epcot a worlds fair.... GM PRESENTS TO YOU ..and it was by this booming voice that just got me excited about what was about to happen... I love those spiels...
"AT&T welcomes you aboard Spaceship Earth. Journey with us now to the dawn of recorded time as we explore the amazing story of human communication" sounds so much better than ..welcome to the dawn of recorded time...

ppete1975

Also, Disney purchased the Muppets well before Marvel....
AND IT WAS A WONDERFUL PURCHASE!!!!!!!
now they just need to utilize it more... "The Muppets" showed that with a good story and the classic characters it is still a viable product, unfortunately Disney has tried to overthink it (the tv show the second movie), they have done some cool web series with them (the cooking one, the at the movies) and great moments in history , and muppets mobile lab show they have some ideas.

Haymarket2008

I sure hope you’re right. There are some really beautiful and dynamic things about the concept art. But overall it seems irresponsible, in regards to the total demolition of Innoventions.

dennis-in-ct

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
AND IT WAS A WONDERFUL PURCHASE!!!!!!!
now they just need to utilize it more... "The Muppets" showed that with a good story and the classic characters it is still a viable product, unfortunately Disney has tried to overthink it (the tv show the second movie), they have done some cool web series with them (the cooking one, the at the movies) and great moments in history , and muppets mobile lab show they have some ideas.
They should merge Marvel with the Muppets. We can then look forward to creatures like The Incredible Mulk.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom