Bob Chapek Confirms Disney Will Overhaul Epcot

Rickster7

They are going to close the rest of it and then offer people a chance to get in earlier than other people to ride the 3 rides they have. Sorry regular admission not included!

Cmdr_Crimson

For the record, I don't think that the Nemo overlay significantly reduced the educational components of The Living Seas, or that Maelstrom or Rio del Tiempo were particularly "educational" in any way whatsoever. If anything, the Gran Fiesta Tour is closer to the spirit of Disney by bringing in characters they specifically created for Mexico rather than old tourist films from the 70s.

The ride part of the Seas is just a Mid-quel after the accounts of the first film...
Malestrom did have something.....But, everyone bypassed it because they don't like them Moving Pictures on a Big screen after riding a ride apparently...
Gran Fiesta....Find Donald in Mexico and make a side trip to It's A Small World...

Otterhead

Malestrom did have something.....But, everyone bypassed it because they don't like them Moving Pictures on a Big screen after riding a ride apparently...
I sat through the movie once. It was... okay. Felt very outdated in a way that Impressions de France and Reflections of China aren't. In the last year or so of Maelstrom running, the CMs would even mock it by saying things like "And now the doors will open, and you can run through the theater to avoid our very boring tourism film!"

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Just so you know when all this is going to happen, keep your eyes to the sky. As soon as you see donkey flying overhead, then look for the big ticket changes to Epcot. Try as I might, I don't think I am going to live long enough to see it happen.
IF all goes to plan you should start to see changes in 2-3 years and more each year thereafter for possibly 6-7 years from now.

jt04

It's in reference to the Society of Explorers and Adventurers, the loose storytelling mythology that Disney's been using to tie together the backstories of things like the Jungle Cruise, the Adventurer's Club, and other similar attractions. I'm very intrigued as to what they have in mind.

Very cool. And can be adapted to every park. Although I wouldn't mind Dr Strange being adapted to one of the parks.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

The much needed EPCOT maintenance "upgrade" (really a restoration) happens when it actually HAPPENS....

The rest? "When all is said and done, a HELL of a lot more gets said, than done".
Show me.

jt04

If all goes to plan, will the educational undertones that Chappy talks about keep the Epcot Center purists happy?

Not if Lee has anything to say about it.

The much needed EPCOT maintenance "upgrade" (really a restoration) happens when it actually HAPPENS....

The rest? "When all is said and done, a HELL of a lot more gets said, than done".
Show me.

You must be from Missouri.

If all goes to plan, will the educational undertones that Chappy talks about keep the Epcot Center purists happy?

Lee?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Inside the magic said this:

Chapek talked about how the park will be going through a “major transformation” in the next couple of years. Mention was made of the park becoming “more Disney, timeless, relevant, family-friendly” while maintaining the original vision of the educationally-centered park.
Seeing as his statement is a contradictory mess of buzz words, why get excited? Is it his years of industry experience we're counting on?
It's not contradictory, here's my interpretation of what Chappie said:
  • More Disney = more IP added
  • Timeless = more IP added that will be there for a long time
  • Relevant = more popular IP added
  • Family Friendly = less boring stuff, more characters (aka more IP added)
Seems like a consistent message to me;)

MarkTwain

It's not contradictory, here's my interpretation of what Chappie said:
  • More Disney = more IP added
  • Timeless = more IP added that will be there for a long time
  • Relevant = more popular IP added
  • Family Friendly = less boring stuff, more characters (aka more IP added)
Seems like a consistent message to me;)

Sadly, despite seeming like buzzwords, I think his descriptions were rather telling.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
If you haven't noticed, the world has changed since EPCOT was envisioned and even implemented. Recreational travel to different countries has exploded so what was once a far off land for many has become oh I was just there last year. Last year over 75 million people from the USA traveled abroad. I'm sure y'all have seen articles about how hard it is to remain "futuristic" and EPCOT fell into that trap. If you're not constantly changing (read expensive... doesnt care how well you are or are not doing) you're behind. At relatively stagnant points in time its doable, but when things begin to change at a pace that eclipses the development/deployment cycle that's where you get the "its outdated" hue and cries generated.

Its a utopian outlook plain and simple where some magical innovation(s) will eliminate all the bad in the world and people will somehow become altruistic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom