Bob Chapek Confirms Disney Will Overhaul Epcot

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I just think they should tell the 1% of purists that they are going in a different direction, give Imagineering free reign and let the chips fall where the may.

You couldn’t be more off base in my opinion...

The danger long term to “magic kingdomizing” all four parks is a huge risk and could fundamentally change how the clientele patronizes the place...and not in a good way.

This kinda statement is EXACTLY like Star Wars last December. Tirades about “a small fanboy insignificant element doesn’t love it now”

And then the last year happened...a flop...shutdown of studio projects...the LFL head quarantined for 6 months...no real direction to point to...and lots of chatter about the state of affairs beyond fanboys. And this is key: softening of sales for what made it what it was in the first place: merch.

Back to Epcot...don’t think it’s inconceivable that a cultural shift may render magic kingdom less attractive someday...they’ve had soft periods before. Well what do you do as a stock conglomerate if you have a bunch of the same? No insulation...and they’ve always had and needed that at junctures.

But I’m a complete crackpot...know nothing, seen nothing, thunk nothing.

Keep defending the shield with the neurons in neutral 👍🏻

And frankly...imagineering isn’t what it was and can’t be trusted with the books...not until better leadership is in place.

Last edited:

yensidtlaw1969

Maybe you should look up the definition of "humane."
Things people do are rightly considered human behavior, and one potential spectrum runs from "humane" to "inhumane."

Just as behavior is judged by what it is, so Epcot is judged by what it is.
That was my point - In saying "Epcot Quality" Sirwalterraleigh was clearly denoting a level of standard.

Saying that "Epcot Quality" as a phrase must automatically be defined as the quality of things that happen to be in the park is semantical and dismissive of the actual point - that the latest version of the Imagination ride wasn't worthy of the park around it. He was clearly saying that the ride wasn't up the standards the park upheld prior. No need to pick his words apart.

Rosso11

Yknow I was wondering about that the other day, if there are still even World's Fairs. The last one I can remember in the US was maybe Knoxville 82?

They are still huge just not in the US anymore for some reason. We haven’t hosted one since 84 in New Orleans. Next years is in Beijing. I attended the Milan one in 2015 and it was great! They definitely still exist.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don't know, man. Frozen was a solid film that has absolutely remained popular with a large segment of Disney's audience. Heck, it moved to Broadway this past year. (The show isn't great, but that's beside the point.) I think it has just as much staying power as many of their other animated films. As for the ride, if I ignore the fact that it is in the wrong park, I have to admit that after riding it, I was sold. It's a thoroughly lovely attraction with great effects. Both my wife and I were very impressed by it. If you didn't know that it was a rebuild of an earlier attraction path and ride system, I don't think there's anything that sticks out as any sort of compromise. They did a fantastic job with it.

It still has no business whatsoever being in Epcot.

I think frozen is a fine franchise...but not to encompass a whole world showcase pavilion. That will be a longterm misread and goes to the pattern we are discussing.

My analysis is that frozen went through a hole punched open by tangled...one of the all time most underrated Disney movies. That has happened before...but that’s a discussion for another day.

mikejs78

Premium Member
I think frozen is a fine franchise...but not to encompass a whole world showcase pavilion. That will be a longterm misread and goes to the pattern we are discussing.

My analysis is that frozen went through a hole punched open by tangled...one of the all time most underrated Disney movies. That has happened before...but that’s a discussion for another day.
Agree with you about Tangled. I would also say that Moana is a lot more.popular than it's initial box office indicated.

CinematicFusion

I think this management has proven that they ARE NOT good at this...

Frozen...was a mistake. Take the snowman away and the reality is that property will not have the legs that a little mermaid or beauty and the beast will.

It kinda a silly concept...and while wildly popular at the time it was released due to a renewed desire for princesses...its popularity has slid dramatically in MY OPINION. It is still a marketable franchise but not moving upward by any stretch. And this sequel does not appear to be going well. It’s taking forever.

So they anchored an old ride to that IP and built a meet and greet add on to the pavilion. That was DUMB. Is anyone gonna be into that in 10 years? Serious doubts.

Frozen is very popular. Disney knocked it out of the park with that concept.
However moving it in EPCOT wasn’t necessary... especially since you needed another ride concept at DHS to balance the park.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Frozen is very popular. Disney knocked it out of the park with that concept.
However moving it in EPCOT wasn’t necessary... especially since you needed another ride concept at DHS to balance the park.
Next year's sequal will tell if Frozen has staying power and how much. I'm sure it will do well - but will it do as well as the first, or be more in line with other Disney movies like Moana, Wreck it Ralph 2, etc.

capsshield

It's been almost 40 years with barely any new additions to the park and still the 1% complain about any changes like a monument has been destroyed. Please get over it. They are not going to remove Frozen or Nemo or Remy or Guardians, and more attractions like them are coming.

Why? Because it's what the people want. Disney is a place designed for families, and a lot of kids got bored in the park and parents spent the day pushing their children through it rather than enjoying themselves. Kid-cot was a lifesaver, it gave the kids a reason to move forward to the next pavilion. Adding IP sells merchandise, but also creates a pull through the park and a desire to go there.

Personally I think the alcohol sales are the reason the park has been so stagnant. They make so much money off the sales that they don't need to do anything but run festivals. I believe if the park never served alcohol we would have had ten more attractions by now. It's a cheaper fix than any amount of creativity they could nickel and dime out of Imagineering, and they will never give up that profit for anything.

Using established IP is cheap creativity, but that doesn't mean the Imagineer's are not creative. Frozen and Remy are fun rides for the family. You can still marvel at the world showcase pavilions and use the IP to spark interest in the countries showcasing them. France will still have stores, drinks, and food and a movie about France and if the visitor loves the attraction that love will spill over to the rest of the pavilion.

I have no problem with Disney using IP as long as it adds to the experience. I do wish they could have kept World in Motion and Horizons, but I'm over it. Time to enjoy the new stuff

HauntedMansionFLA

It's been almost 40 years with barely any new additions to the park and still the 1% complain about any changes like a monument has been destroyed. Please get over it. They are not going to remove Frozen or Nemo or Remy or Guardians, and more attractions like them are coming.

Why? Because it's what the people want. Disney is a place designed for families, and a lot of kids got bored in the park and parents spent the day pushing their children through it rather than enjoying themselves. Kid-cot was a lifesaver, it gave the kids a reason to move forward to the next pavilion. Adding IP sells merchandise, but also creates a pull through the park and a desire to go there.

Personally I think the alcohol sales are the reason the park has been so stagnant. They make so much money off the sales that they don't need to do anything but run festivals. I believe if the park never served alcohol we would have had ten more attractions by now. It's a cheaper fix than any amount of creativity they could nickel and dime out of Imagineering, and they will never give up that profit for anything.

Using established IP is cheap creativity, but that doesn't mean the Imagineer's are not creative. Frozen and Remy are fun rides for the family. You can still marvel at the world showcase pavilions and use the IP to spark interest in the countries showcasing them. France will still have stores, drinks, and food and a movie about France and if the visitor loves the attraction that love will spill over to the rest of the pavilion.

I have no problem with Disney using IP as long as it adds to the experience. I do wish they could have kept World in Motion and Horizons, but I'm over it. Time to enjoy the new stuff
That’s why the Wreck It Ralph Playground is the big hit with kids and parents.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Next year's sequal will tell if Frozen has staying power and how much. I'm sure it will do well - but will it do as well as the first, or be more in line with other Disney movies like Moana, Wreck it Ralph 2, etc.

It’s not gonna bomb...but I have this suspicion that it’s gonna reveal that there reality isn’t much there and it was a hit in time. No shame as many things are...but they also gonna let go...

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I’m not sure what argument you’re making...but you sure did nail the stance that they want from their “modern clientele”...

Make sure you get your tickets to after hours magic 😉

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It's been almost 40 years with barely any new additions to the park and still the 1% complain about any changes like a monument has been destroyed
The complaints are mainly about bad decisions. Progress is only progress if it’s better than what came before or if it is done properly.

Not everyone is a sheep who laps up every announcement like it’s the messiah speaking. Some are brave/clever enough to question it.

Indy_UK

But anything has to be better than what Epcot currently is surely?

I'm not a fan of the GOTG theme but I am of the coaster. I was hoping that with the Vol 3 delay they may axe them and put in a different IP

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom