Bob Chapek backs up using IPs because “if our competitors had our catalog they would do the same thing”

Marc Davis Fan

Bob: We're not saying that Disney should never use IP, we're saying that filling the entire parks with IP cheapens the experience of visiting them (by reducing the sense of immersion into another world, which is what made them successful; see the plaque over Disneyland's entrance tunnel), and thus will immeasurably damage their quality and uniqueness in the long term.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Courtesy of Mirriam-Webster.com:

Clueless - Adjective
1. having or providing no clue
2. completely or hopelessly bewildered, unaware, ignorant, or foolish

I guess he had to prove he's a fool by opening his mouth, rather than just letting us think he was.

FettFan

It doesn't have to be ONLY IP, is the thing. What on earth got them to believe that "original" attractions were dangerous?

A very good question. After all, Disney's three biggest hits in Future World (Soarin', Test Track, and Mission: Space) are all original.

Original attractions are timeless. Twenty years later, we still have people pining for Horizons.....I highly doubt that Guardians of the Galaxy Roller Coaster will be remembered quite so fondly should the fad end and it becomes the Universe of Energy Coaster: Presented by Tesla and SpaceX.
tesla-roadster-space_resize_md.jpg

That would kick so much a**.

Think about it....if Horizons was about tying all the pavilions of Future World together.....this would at least tie the pavilions of Future World East together. lol

Mickey5150

Technically he is correct, look what Universal did with their Marvel franchise. Of course he completely forgets that it happened long before Disney owned Marvel.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I don't necessarily disagree with what Chapek said.

But, I do disagree with *how* the IP is exercised many times.

And, he does a horrible job speaking about it. Disney needs a PR rep at the president-level of the company to do all the face interviews. And to make the PR for the parks something which it is currently not... that is, informative in a timely manner.

Astro Blaster

Bob: We're not saying that Disney should never use IP, we're saying that filling the entire parks with IP cheapens the experience of visiting them (by reducing the sense of immersion into another world, which is what made them successful; see the plaque over Disneyland's entrance tunnel), and thus will immeasurably damage their quality and uniqueness in the long term.
Here you leave today and enter the world of...stuff from our online streaming service!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom