Bob Chapek backs up using IPs because “if our competitors had our catalog they would do the same thing”

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Not like Disney shouldn't use their IPs in the parks, but the sheer amount of it in recent endeavors has gotten gratuitous. Sounds like he's listening to the wrong critics.
Balance is what the appeal of their parks are built on...but they don’t have a seminar on that in sun valley so the bobs wouldn’t know
Chapek is terrible for the parks. It’s just they are so great, he hasn’t ruined them yet.
Amen, reverend!!
This guy is possibly the worst thing for the parks since the Harris/Pressler combo. He just doesn’t get it.
I just threw up in my mouth. You said the “P word” 🤢
Is he in line to replace Iger?
Nobody Is...which is the same crap Roy got p!ssed at Eisner about.
It doesn't have to be ONLY IP, is the thing. What on earth got them to believe that "original" attractions were dangerous?
The longterm, sustainable attractions are not based on IP...at least not in the modern sense.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
View attachment 377779
You got it, sister
I don't necessarily disagree with what Chapek said.

But, I do disagree with *how* the IP is exercised many times.

And, he does a horrible job speaking about it. Disney needs a PR rep at the president-level of the company to do all the face interviews. And to make the PR for the parks something which it is currently not... that is, informative in a timely manner.

Here’s some breaking news... an almost criticism wrapped in a note of support. I like the nuance there...deep like a Rian Johnson movie 😉

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Balance is what the appeal of their parks are built on...but they don’t have a seminar on that in sun valley so the bobs wouldn’t know

Amen, reverend!!

I just threw up in my mouth.

Nobody Is...which is the same crap Roy got p!ssed at Eisner about.

The longterm, sustainable attractions are not based on IP...at least not in the modern sense.

You got it, sister

Here’s some breaking news... an almost criticism wrapped in a note of support. I like the nuance there...deep like a Rian Johnson movie 😉

Are you being paid to respond to everybody's opinion? Is this your thread that you're holding court over?

Stripes

I don't necessarily disagree with what Chapek said.

But, I do disagree with *how* the IP is exercised many times.

And, he does a horrible job speaking about it. Disney needs a PR rep at the president-level of the company to do all the face interviews. And to make the PR for the parks something which it is currently not... that is, informative in a timely manner.
He's not wrong with regard to that particular statement. If other companies had Disney's IP they would absolutely shoehorn them into their parks. The problem with his logic, and his implication, is Disney's willingness to create original environments and attractions is what used to set their parks apart from the rest. Now, they have succumbed to the short-term money in exchange for a lesser product and decreased long-term gains.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
A very good question. After all, Disney's three biggest hits in Future World (Soarin', Test Track, and Mission: Space) are all original.

Original attractions are timeless. Twenty years later, we still have people pining for Horizons.....I highly doubt that Guardians of the Galaxy Roller Coaster will be remembered quite so fondly should the fad end and it becomes the Universe of Energy Coaster: Presented by Tesla and SpaceX.
tesla-roadster-space_resize_md.jpg

That would kick so much a**.

Think about it....if Horizons was about tying all the pavilions of Future World together.....this would at least tie the pavilions of Future World East together. lol

None of Disney’s classic rides are IP based

Space...pirates...jungle cruise...thunder...haunted mansion...small world.

Nope. None.

The two “revered” IP influenced rides are using a tv show that has been dead for now 50 years and a movie that nobody would even dare to show or stream now...

Far different from knee jerkers like Olaf’s boats and the marvel B team coaster.

GhostlyGoofy

What is considered original is typically inspired by other "IP" example; the African Queen inspired The Jungle Cruise.

I don't think Iger & Chapek are wrong about their treasure trove of IP. Look at Disney's history from the release of The Jungle Book to Little Mermaid.

Yeah, sorry Condorman and Superdad where never going to be big enough hits to inspire rides.
But don't forget Island at the top of the world, that was suppose to inspire a whole new land in the parks. Before it flopped hard.

Since the Little Mermaid and the Animation Renaissance, Disney finally has hit films, that would draw audiences into the parks. On top of the other film franchises and studios they've swallowed up. Of course they're going to make use of that content.

That being said, How Iger does it, looks cheap! A lot of it feels rushed and not up to Disney Quality. Like look at the Incredibles section of DHS. It belongs at an I-Drive dump.

So I don't fault Disney for using their strong IP. I just wish they'd put more effort into it.
And it would be nice if the company remembered that their "original" rides have gone on to inspire other mediums and can possibly again.

Of course then we'll all be griping about another Ride inspired film franchise.;)

The Empress Lilly

Chapek is plain wrong too.

There is a precedent for a theme park behemoth holding an IP catalogue almost as good as 2019 TWDC and not using it in their parks: TWDC 1955-2015.

Chapek is simply lazy, he thinks sitting on the best IP staple provides him a quick hack to the best parks, that it provides an unassailable competitive advantage. Disregarding that the true 'Disney' difference in the theme park business has been quality, immersion, sentimentalism. And hard work. IP, by contrast, has always been the shortcut of precisely the non-Disney parks. How many Superman coasters aren't out there in wannabe parks?

The Empress Lilly

This guy is possibly the worst thing for the parks since the Harris/Pressler combo. He just doesn’t get it.
About GE: 'you're in an appendage to DL' . That is such a telling quote. DL being thought of and being developed as just a collection of isolated parts, a collection of IP encounters each one isolated of the others. The treatment of the WDW parks shows he thinks the same about all the other parks too. There is no understanding of what makes the parks tick, of their internal cohesion, storytelling, mood. In DL, Adventureland and Fantasyland and Main Street strengthen one another, feed off of one another. An effect even more emphasised in the MK.

'...you don't feel like you're in DL but rather on another planet' - Chapek is actually proud that GE feels like another planet. Instead part of DL. He thinks it an accomplishment. How clueless. (Or at least, a shift away from 65 years of park development)

Last edited:

bUU

Bob Chapek stated in an interview about galaxy's edge the use of IP is cause other company’s with Disney catalog would use it the same
I bet he said a lot more than that, and that you're presenting one comment out of context.

In recent comments, he talked about the genius and imagination and creativity that went into developing the Star Wars universe. He talked about the emotional feeling that these new investments will foster in guests. He talked the company as a portfolio of investments in storytelling. He talked about the parks not only a showcase for the storytelling that has gone on on screen but also as an inspiration for, and a source of, new storytelling contributions to that portfolio.

Then he talked about the power of franchises - for less than 45 seconds out of the 15 minutes.

Sounds like he's listening to the wrong critics.
He shouldn't listen to any critics. Talk is cheap. He should "listen" to what guests are telling him through what they're spending their money on.

Chapek is terrible for the parks.
The same was said about the leaders of the company who shepherded it from the brink of oblivion to its current status as the top of the top. As a matter of fact, fans expressing such appraisals in online discussions have been so consistent over the last thirty years that being criticized by fans online is now a pretty reliable indicator that someone is an excellent leader for the company.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom