Boat ride might not be happening after all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Neo

Original Poster
This has been a rumor for a long time but D23 added more fuel to the fire. First, the model is intentionally cut right where the boat ride would be shown normally according to the blueprints and even more disturbing I talked to two different people who were standing next to the model (I'm assuming they are with Imagineering?) and when I asked about the boat ride they both said something along the lines of "We're still working out the details of the land but rest assured you will be riding a Banshee when this area opens in 2017!" when I pressed a bit further and said "Is the boat ride still under consideration?" the guy replied by kinda looking up as if thinking and sort of nodding and bobbing his head. Needless to say, I didn't walk away from the Pandora pavilion today feeling very confident about the product.

To put things in perspective, The Cars Land model at D23 2009 was fully detailed and mapped out and Kathy Mangum, Kevin Rafferty, and the other imagineers disclosed tons of details and information about the project when asked and didn't give any vague answers at all. I was expecting a similar situation today but that wasn't the case at all. Avatar Land is already coming in so late in 2017 and it will be very pathetic if it only opens with 1 ride when the land (and greater DAK) desperately need other attractions and a boat ride would fit the bill. What is so difficult about a boat ride with Audio Animatronics and themed areas that Disney has been doing since Jungle Cruise opened in 1955??

bakntime

First, the model is intentionally cut right where the boat ride would be shown normally according to the blueprints
Except it's not. The boat ride will be connected to the giant show building for the banshee ride. This is at the far back of the model, and it's not cut off at all, it's just mostly out of sight because the boat ride will be mostly (if not totally) indoors. The current construction of Avatar Land actually has a show building (separate from the banshee ride show building) under construction. Old aerial shots even show the concrete walls and foundation of this show building.

The promo video that played mentioned a canoe ride. Not that it confirms anything, but it's worth noting that it's mentioned.

The boat ride is not cancelled. Delayed? Perhaps, but there's been no confirmation of that. There will probably be more info tomorrow (today) during the presentations.

Captain Neo

Original Poster
Except it's not. The boat ride will be connected to the giant show building for the banshee ride. This is at the far back of the model, and it's not cut off at all, it's just mostly out of sight because the boat ride will be mostly (if not totally) indoors. The current construction of Avatar Land actually has a show building (separate from the banshee ride show building) under construction. Old aerial shots even show the concrete walls and foundation of this show building.

The promo video that played mentioned a canoe ride. Not that it confirms anything, but it's worth noting that it's mentioned.

The boat ride is not cancelled. Delayed? Perhaps, but there's been no confirmation of that. There will probably be more info tomorrow (today) during the presentations.

The only possible excuse to delay it would be to incorporate creatures from Avatar 2-4 and the expanded universe Cameron is developing but even then they can open it up now and add in new AA's and scenes later like they did with Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise, etc.

bakntime

The only possible excuse to delay it would be to incorporate creatures from Avatar 2-4 and the expanded universe Cameron is developing but even then they can open it up now and add in new AA's and scenes later like they did with Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise, etc.
I'm not really concerned with trying to come up with reasons to explain why it might be delayed when we don't even know if it is. We don't even know the specifics of what the attraction will be like or what kind of ride system it will use (other than it will be a "boat" ride). At least wait until it's confirmed as delayed, or until the D23 parks presentation is over and they released whatever further details they plan to release. For all we know, the delay might be that they decided to scrap the ride system and go with something more advanced, requiring a complete redesign. It was rumored in the past that they had actually done something to that effect. While it would be disappointing that it might be delayed, it could be for a good reason rather than they just decided they were too lazy to finish it on time.

As for the hedging or being non-committal on answering questions about it, maybe they just didn't want to give anything away until the presentations took place, or maybe they aren't 100% firm on timelines yet and they don't want to get caught saying something they weren't supposed to.

Sam Magic

Anyone else suspecting that the lands backstory is what the new films will be based on? Humanity coming to Pandora and terraforming it?

Still...I think the boat ride is happening...they still show concept art and mention. It may be delayed, but it's going to happen.

invader

QHCaNyZk1t-2.png

bakntime

Anyone else suspecting that the lands backstory is what the new films will be based on? Humanity coming to Pandora and terraforming it?

Still...I think the boat ride is happening...they still show concept art and mention. It may be delayed, but it's going to happen.
It's possible, but I think it's probably more that Avatar Land is a "side story" rather than a part of the plotline of any of the films. I see it more like Star Tours or Indiana Jones Adventure.

While the land and attractions will likely integrate characters, flora, fauna, and other elements from the films, I think the land will (plot-wise) stand on its own.

Sam Magic

It's possible, but I think it's probably more that Avatar Land is a "side story" rather than a part of the plotline of any of the films. I see it more like Star Tours or Indiana Jones Adventure.

While the land and attractions will likely integrate characters, flora, fauna, and other elements from the films, I think the land will (plot-wise) stand on its own.
Yeah, but in the films the planets atmosphere is not suitable for humans.

Next Big Thing

Yeah, but in the films the planets atmosphere is not suitable for humans.
I just re-watched the movie and never is it stated that the planet's atmosphere is not suitable for humans. What I got from it was that they were being cautious as it was new territory and they were unsure if the atmosphere is suitable.

Siren

The missing boat is a major red flag for me. Also, no word or presence of James Cameron is also disturbing to me. I just can't see Cameron signing off on something that looks like that. It just doesn't feel right.

bakntime

The missing boat is a major red flag for me.
How is it missing?

Also, no word or presence of James Cameron is also disturbing to me.
Dude is busy. He's in a bunch of photos and videos from the past few years, raving about the partnership with Disney and the plans for Avatar Land. He recorded a video message for Japan's D23 event last fall.

The model display and stuff that is seen in today's videos and photos was not an official presentation on Avatar Land, it was just the reveal of the model for people to check out. The full Disney Parks presentation hasn't happened yet. Cameron may or may not be there for that, or he might have filmed a video for it, but even if he didn't, what difference does that make? How is that relevant to the product that's being built?

I just can't see Cameron signing off on something that looks like that. It just doesn't feel right.
Something that looks like what?

Siren

How is it missing?
The OP is at D23 now and he said the model is deliberately cut, right where the boat is supposed to go -- according to the blue prints. He also inquired into the boat ride's whereabouts and did not receive a conclusive answer.

Dude is busy. He's in a bunch of photos and videos from the past few years, raving about the partnership with Disney and the plans for Avatar Land. He recorded a video message for Japan's D23 event last fall.

The model display and stuff that is seen in today's videos and photos was not an official presentation on Avatar Land, it was just the reveal of the model for people to check out. The full Disney Parks presentation hasn't happened yet. Cameron may or may not be there for that, or he might have filmed a video for it, but even if he didn't, what difference does that make? How is that relevant to the product that's being built?
Okay fine, I won't make a big deal about it anymore, for now. But, I just feel like Cameron should be there to present his vision and concept(s), it is his world.

Something that looks like what?
Pandora is a beautiful planet and the model fails to capture that essence, in my opinion. For me, it seems like Disney sacrificed beauty, detail and quality for a grander scaled model. But, overall the consensus here, is that the model does not matter, so I will just leave it alone.

CTXRover

There are a few hints at the boat ride from what I can gather. These include:

(1) a pamphlet about the land from 'ACE' that hints at wallkig under the mountains, flying on a winged beast and that as a traveler they you can tell others how you "floated into forests that glow",
(http://twitter.com/*****/status/632281697275392000/photo/1

(2) this poster on display also shows the boat ride:
DSC00648.jpg

These were made specifically for D23 and include references to the boat ride. Hard to imagine it's not happening if they're still referencing it. I'd guess we'll get more details during the Parks presentation.

Last edited:

bakntime

The OP is at D23 now and he said the model is deliberately cut, right where the boat is supposed to go -- according to the blue prints.
As I pointed out, the OP is mistaken. That is not the case.

He also inquired into the boat ride's whereabouts and did not receive a conclusive answer.
That is hardly proof that the boat ride is "missing."

Okay fine, I won't make a big deal about it anymore, for now. But, I just feel like Cameron should be there to present his vision and concept(s), it is his world.
How do you know he won't? This year's D23 isn't even over yet, and D23 is not the only method by which a human being can present things. If you want him at this specific D23 event just to make you feel better, okay, but it still wouldn't change what's being built. And if he's not there, you can't interpret his lack of presence as some kind of indication that he doesn't approve of the project, or that he'll never talk about it ever again.

Pandora is a beautiful planet and the model fails to capture that essence, in my opinion. For me, it seems like Disney sacrificed beauty, detail and quality for a grander scaled model.
Do you honestly think that the land itself will just be a scaled up version of the model with pale colors, paper trees, plastic people, poor lighting, and no intricate details? Architectural models aren't intended as a substitute for the real thing. They're overviews, intended to give you a sense of layout, scale, and general concept. You won't be flying over the real Avatar Land at AK, you'll be walking through it from ground level. That's where the best views are going to be from - not a bird's eye view from the equivalent of about 500 to 1000 feet in the air like the views of the model are. If you watch the couple of videos that Joe Rhode posted of the model, it's a more cinematic look that gives you a better perspective. But still, the most realistic, detailed models of construction projects in today's technological world are in the computer. 3D renderings viewed with VR displays, that sort of thing. Unfortunately, virtual models can't be displayed in the same way a physical model can, so physical models are built to give an overall sense of the layout, not to recreate what it's like to actually see the finished product in all its glory. It doesn't make any sense, nor is it really possible, to put that much effort into extreme detailing on a physical model that's thousands of times smaller than the real thing.

Google up some images of the scale models of Cars Land, Buena Vista Street, or New Fantasyland (or any other recent theme park project) to see how the models compare to the finished product.
But, overall the consensus here, is that the model does not matter, so I will just leave it alone.
No one said the model "doesn't matter," just that the purpose of the model isn't to be a simulated reality of the real thing, nor does it need to be.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I just re-watched the movie and never is it stated that the planet's atmosphere is not suitable for humans. What I got from it was that they were being cautious as it was new territory and they were unsure if the atmosphere is suitable.

It's stated early in the movie when Jake is leaving the shuttle...

Shuttle Crew Chief: Remember people, you lose that mask you're unconscious in twenty seconds, you're dead in four minutes. Let's nobody be dead today, it looks very bad on my report.

Next Big Thing

It's stated early in the movie when Jake is leaving the shuttle...

Shuttle Crew Chief: Remember people, you lose that mask you're unconscious in twenty seconds, you're dead in four minutes. Let's nobody be dead today, it looks very bad on my report.
huh, ok, guess I missed that. I mean I pretty much was assuming that, but besides that point in the move (which I obviously missed), it was never stated again, so I was theorizing that it was possible that breathing there was possible.

I'm sure they'll come up with some contrived reason.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
This idea that the boat ride isn't in the model has come up more then once recently, so lets try to put this to rest. Here are the plans showing the boat ride adjacent to the banshee ride.

In this aerial you can see the banshee ride show building on the lower left. The little section sticking out of the building to the right corresponds to FC-A, FC-B and FC-C on the plans. The boat ride is right above that section and is the light colored area next to the banshee ride in this image.
i-fbWQ8VvXLX2-X2.jpg

The show buildings for the banshee ride and boat ride will be covered in one continuous area of rock work so it's hard to see where one starts and the other begins, but I have marked roughly where they are at. Red is the banshee ride, blue the boat ride. They have definitely started to build the boat ride and it is in the model. It has been mentioned in a few places so I don't think it's been cut. The only question is, whether it opens with the rest of the land, or does it open later.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
huh, ok, guess I missed that. I mean I pretty much was assuming that, but besides that point in the move (which I obviously missed), it was never stated again, so I was theorizing that it was possible that breathing there was possible.

I'm sure they'll come up with some contrived reason.

It only needed to be mentioned once to establish that the atmosphere is toxic, but then there are numerous places in the movie where we see behaving in ways that are consistent with there being a toxic atmosphere. There are situations in the movie where if the mask was just a precaution, people wouldn't have bothered to put one on.

With that said, I agree that they will probably come up with an explanation, because they surely aren't going to make people wear masks. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom