Bloom is off the rose

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I suppose it is a mater of opinion and semantics. To me there is a difference for asking for something for free and asking something complementary. I apologize if their has already been a thread discussing upgrade, my intent was not to discuss that but these three topics.

Also I tried your link and received an error.

1. Let people know you can request a particular building.
2. Find out what other requests might be available.
3. Find out how is the Disney travel company different from Disney resorts.
What you can request are things like what floor you are on, proximity to elevator, stairs etc, what building you are in providing that building is in the room category you paid for, and king bed or double beds again providing that option is available in your room category.

DABIGCHEEZ

I love Disney and tell all my friends how they are constantly exceeding my expectations. Yesterday I had a less then pleasant experience that took the bloom off the rose.

I have read in the past that if a preferred room is available, a resort may give you a complementary upgrade if you ask. With that in mind I called yesterday to put a request on my reservation for a complementary upgrade. I was told that it was against there policy to put such a request on my reservation. Now this sounded crazy to me, they should be able to put any comment on my reservation, so I asked to speak to a supervisor. She repeated the same thing and after a long conversation I found out that although I could not request an upgrade I could request a particular building, after all that's what I was really after. Three transfers later and calling back twice I finally got my request added and the agent said it looks like I really did my homework.

So what is my point of writing this post, to complain, no, I still love Disney. What I would like to address is the following.

Thanks
Brian

I want, I want, I want!!!!:brick: Funny I told the car dealer that I wanted a free upgrade to the Corvette..... that didn't work either. Go figure.

It is just not right to ask and assume to get and upgrade in advance. Although at check-in...ask away and good luck.:rolleyes: But to ask for it and just expect to get it while others pay for the upgrade is just a bit much.

LivinWitTheLand

I think Brian was just stating in his OP that it doesn't work to ask to have a "complimentary upgrade" noted on your account because that is not how Disney refers to a room request, but was giving what he thought would be a helpful hint to other users that you can have them put notes on your account.

Mystic

I think you are still missing my point. It is not about where or not I get things for free, it is that Disney exceeds my expatiations.

And they can't do that without giving you things for free? Disney always exceeds my expectations and I've never asked them to give me anything for free.

It makes sense that you would be able to request room locations, buildings etc on your reservation but to request a FREE upgrade? That's a bit much IMO.

robhink

I think you are still missing my point. It is not about where or not I get things for free, it is that Disney exceeds my expatiations.

Well let them exceed your expectations, when you go to check into the hotel and they upgrade you for free at that point they they have exceeded your expectations of what hotel room you were getting. Trying to do it in advance and going in and expecting that you will get the upgrade is just setting yourself up for disappointments.

mousefan1972

Ok, I'll play along. Then I'm :zipit: on this topic. If Disney exceeds your expectations, you would show up at your resort, not ask for a free upgrade (and certainly not ask for one on to be noted your reservation!) and be surprised with one when you check in. This happened to me at the WL. Paid for standard view, got courtyard view. Didn't ask, didn't expect. But was very pleasantly surprised when it happened. If you expect it to happen, you will only be disappointed if it doesn't. As a previous poster stated, if other guests are paying for a preferred room, to expect for you to be given one for free because "Disney should exceed my expectations" is entitlement. I paid for a garden view at the Poly. Would I love a free upgrade to MK view? Of course, who wouldn't. But I'm not going to expect them to give me one. I expect to be given what I paid for, and if anything else above and beyond that happens, Disney will have exceeded my expectations. Ok, I'm done.

brianhorn

Original Poster
I think Brian was just stating in his OP that it doesn't work to ask to have a "complimentary upgrade" noted on your account because that is not how Disney refers to a room request, but was giving what he thought would be a helpful hint to other users that you can have them put notes on your account.

Thank you
at least one person gets the point of what I am trying to discuss. What I had hoped to accomplish was to get some informative information and to pass some along. Perhaps it is because I am new to the boards, but quite frankly I am surprised by the negativity. thank you to those who have been informative.

DABIGCHEEZ

I suppose it is a mater of opinion and semantics. To me there is a difference for asking for something for free and asking something complementary. I apologize if their has already been a thread discussing upgrade, my intent was not to discuss that but these three topics.

Also I tried your link and received an error.

:ROFLOL: :ROFLOL:

COMPLIMENTARY refers to a toothbrush you may have forgot or refreshments in the lobby.
FREE refers to the upgrade you didn't book and pay for.

Two different thing exactly!!!

Ella's Mommy

I think you meant exactly what you said in your post. You wanted something for free if possible and when told that was not going to be possible you called back several times tying up the lines for paying customers to get what you wanted. I can guarantee you wont get the FREE upgrade. We are going to be at the POLY in less than a month in a garden view room if possible we plan to upgrade to MK view and PAY the difference. Stop being a cheap bast**d and pay for it if you want it. Nothing in life is free.

LivinWitTheLand

Thank you
at least one person gets the point of what I am trying to discuss. What I had hoped to accomplish was to get some informative information and to pass some along. Perhaps it is because I am new to the boards, but quite frankly I am surprised by the negativity. thank you to those who have been informative.

People can have a tendency to really jump down people's throats on the boards. I wouldn't worry about. Sometimes it's better just to dismiss yourself from the conversation. Don't worry they'll continue to argue about a post that everyone misconstrued from the start for long after you've stopped posting replies.

Ella's Mommy

People can have a tendency to really jump down people's throats on the boards. I wouldn't worry about. Sometimes it's better just to dismiss yourself from the conversation. Don't worry they'll continue to argue about a post that everyone misconstrued from the start for long after you've stopped posting replies.[/q

Thats a load. You called for "info" purpose ONLY so that you could inform people of what you found. Yeah right. Who really has time for that? And if they had offered you the free upgrade you would have said no right cause this was for information only. Please you wouldnt have posted as the "bloom is off the rose" if you were going this for info purpose.

PintoColvig

And your expectations are that Disney gives you stuff for free. So exceeding that expectation means what? They not only give you stuff for free but that they even give you stuff back? :ROFLOL:

Seriously, though. Welcome to the boards. This is a fun place but keep in mind that lots of people around here take WDW seriously. As you post, be sure that you have a solid point or people will take you to task on it. But, hey, look at it this way, the first thread you started here is taking off well. :wave:

brianhorn

Original Poster
People can have a tendency to really jump down people's throats on the boards. I wouldn't worry about. Sometimes it's better just to dismiss yourself from the conversation. Don't worry they'll continue to argue about a post that everyone misconstrued from the start for long after you've stopped posting replies.[/q

Thats a load. You called for "info" purpose ONLY so that you could inform people of what you found. Yeah right. Who really has time for that? And if they had offered you the free upgrade you would have said no right cause this was for information only. Please you wouldnt have posted as the "bloom is off the rose" if you were going this for info purpose.

Perhaps you are correct, the title bloom off the rose does set up a negative connotation from the start. If I have learned anything I will be more careful when naming my posts in the future. I am a fool for continuing, however I feel I owe some explanation for why I choose the bloom is off the rose. What I did not say in my original post is that the agent I spoke to, in my opinion had a very negative attitude and I did not expect that. The bloom is off the rose, not because of the negativity. I believe it is possible to say no and say it nicely. I did not what to say all this originally because it was not the point of the post, perhaps some leftover frustration. This brings me to my third question "Find out how is the Disney travel company different from Disney resorts." In other words is the training level and of service different between the two.

At this point I will take the advise of an earlier post and bow out.

Thanks for the discussion

Brian

DisneyGigi

First of all I am not being rude.... :)
But I don't understand why you felt like you should or would get a free upgrade just because you asked. I can totally understand why they wouldn't note this on your reservation, if they did this then the line would be tied up with everyone wanting to note that they would like a free upgrade. We had a note put on our reservation because it is our anniversary while we are there but we did not ask that it be put there. The person booking informed us that they were noting it when DH made the ressies. We are not expecting a free upgrade because it is a special occasion, just buttons and a few Happy anniversaries would make our day. If they do something special, great, if not great, we are still spending it at the Best place in the world!
You get what you pay for IMHO... although, I would have liked to have gotten an upgrade to a 60 inch plasma instead of the 52 inch that I paid for, you know for free... :ROFLOL:

jmvd20

At this point I will take the advise of an earlier post and bow out.

Thanks for the discussion

Brian

Don't worry about leaving the discussion, after all that is what we all come here for - to discuss things.

The impression that I got from your original post is - Disney did not make you happy because you didn't get a free upgrade to your room. That's just how the words come across to me at least. If that isn't how you meant it to come across it isn't a big deal, I know I have had my share of posts be mis-interpreted, unfortunately it is one of those things that happens. :wave:

Mom2Evie

I've done the same thing OP did, I just didn't post about it. I called when ASSports closed the pool, hoping to be upgraded to POR or a moderate. After we got moved to Pop, I also requested the 60's building because my daughter LOVED the Play dough building on the website. Technically, I believe that building is preferred, but I just worded it differently than he did. I totally see how the wording in the original post left a bad taste in peoples mouths, but lay off. I really think that what he meant was, "tried for a free upgrade, but didn't get it. I think Disney Travel could have handled it a bit better or been a little nicer about it."

It is considered in poor taste (and obviously against Disney policy) to request a "complimentary upgrade" on your room reservation. It is quite obvious that you would accept an upgrade, so why note it? You're essentially saying, "By the way, if you have any better rooms that you are giving out for free, I'll take them." No kidding, genius...

That's like making a note on the reservation that you would like the room to have air conditioning and a toilet. It is OBVIOUS.

What you are essentially saying is I WANT A FREE UPGRADE. If you would like a better room, instead of noting the desire for a complimentary upgrade on your reservation...here's a thought...PURCHASE THE MORE EXPENSIVE ROOM.

WDW exceeds normal people's expectations by doing that little something extra...you want it to do a BIG something extra, for no reason, or maybe just because you're YOU. Well I am ME, and everyone else is EVERYONE ELSE. If WDW gave away complimentary upgrades based on that, then it would be out of business.

Why don't you exceed WDW's expectations and pay for a concierge level room, then note on your reservation that you will take a parking lot view room for the same price. Doesn't sound fair, does it?

Now to address your other issues:

1) Yes, you can make requests of buildings, proximity to certain areas, distance from ice machines, special accessibility on your reservation. This is nothing new.

2) See response to number 1

3) WDTC and the resorts are two different things, if I understand your question correctly. You don't book your reservation directly through a resort. Its through a central hub, i.e. WDTC.

DABIGCHEEZ

I've done the same thing OP did, I just didn't post about it. I called when ASSports closed the pool, hoping to be upgraded to POR or a moderate. After we got moved to Pop, I also requested the 60's building because my daughter LOVED the Play dough building on the website. Technically, I believe that building is preferred, but I just worded it differently than he did. I totally see how the wording in the original post left a bad taste in peoples mouths, but lay off. I really think that what he meant was, "tried for a free upgrade, but didn't get it. I think Disney Travel could have handled it a bit better or been a little nicer about it."

Same thing, no???:shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom